Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2022, 05:34 AM   #1
kdrsmr

Slide out issue

I have a 2016 Cougar 26rls with a single slide. A cable broke on the slide and we had it replaced but nothing was readjusted and the slide was crooked. We used it like that for the rest of the year since we were living in the rv at the time. Then recently I used silicone spray to lube everything up including applying some at the bottom where the slide moves over a heavy duty plastic bar mounted in the floor. This is the only load bearing point of contact for the slide. Now the slide jerks as it goes in and out. I adjusted the cables and it's much straighter but it still jerks. Does the bar need to be dry? Did the silicone hurt the wear bar?
kdrsmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 05:40 AM   #2
Canonman

I don't think you hurt the wear bar but we had the same problem when I used some slide lube the same way. I don't know why it causes the slide to go all herky-jerky but it did. I spent some time wiping everything down with a soapy rag then dried everything thoroughly. No problems since.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MGL0064-Pano-2.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	322.0 KB
ID:	41867  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 06:12 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

First, make sure your slide is adjusted correctly. Make sure you didn't tear up the darco on the bottom of the slide operating it when the slide was askew. Depending on the "lube" it will most assuredly make the slide jerk. As Canonman said clean the bottom of the slide well. Make sure whatever agent you used (dish soap etc.) for cleaning is rinsed completely off and dry it out good. After a dealer pulled that trick on me I even took spray glass cleaner, pulled the bottom seal down and liberally sprayed down the entire length of the wear bar, pulled the slide in/out a few times, cleaned behind the seal as best I could then cleaned the bottom of the slide - let it dry. I have put 303 on the darco, wax etc. It seems to work best, or at least as well as any other method, if the slide bottom and wear bar are just clean and dry.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out