Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2022, 06:29 PM   #41
pawpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I think you edited that right after my post. I'd recommend wheighing that rig and finding out where you are vs the gvw rating on that suv. Pulling, stopping, those are the easy manuvers. Having a deer, a child, or a vehichle comming ay you requireing a radical steering inputs are another story.
I agree. I think drivers pulling trailers or campers should be required to pass driving ability tests also. I drove semi tanker trucks for 12 yrs and had to pass a test. Drove in the military and had to have a military license. No special requirements as far as I know. Scary just watching people drive these rigs into some campgrounds. I quit counting at 2 million miles so I'm still learning!!
Old 03-31-2022, 08:42 PM   #42
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I think you edited that right after my post. I'd recommend wheighing that rig and finding out where you are vs the gvw rating on that suv. Pulling, stopping, those are the easy manuvers. Having a deer, a child, or a vehichle comming ay you requireing a radical steering inputs are another story.
I'd also check the owners manual for information on using a WDH, most unibody vehicles (assuming the Expedition is) recommend NOT using it.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 06:30 AM   #43
GlasNav

Yes, saw that he is with Oceaneering, they have become a big outfit. I recall when they had less than prime equipment back in the seventies, that firm has come a long way!

Saw in your later posts that you have considerable experience as a CDL driver, and will be able determine if the short wheelbase is acceptable once the rig is trimmed.
It will be interesting to hear your thoughts after you put some miles on the new configuration.

BTW: 49 years ago I married a girl from NOLA, we are still together, and I started my offshore work for companies on the bayou in the mid seventies. We have friends all around your area, from Chackbay to Golden Meadow….

Enjoy the new 25RDS, if you have any owner related questions regarding your specific unit, feel free to reach out.
GlasNav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 06:46 AM   #44
GlasNav

I agree with both of you regarding some sort of qualification / road test etc for RVers. Unfortunately the lobbyist for the RV industry are probably just as strong as those in the recreational boating industry and would squash any attempt to implement such regulations.

I’ve hopped into the drivers seat of many vehicles attempting to back a TT into a site because the driver wasn’t capable of backing it in on their own or with direction! The most recent was a women with what I figure was a rental TT, with her mother and a child in child seat in the back along with a dog. She couldn’t back in and was jackknifed when she asked for assistance. Was sort of strange when she got out and I got in with her child and dog. Trust and security weren’t an issue as we were in a FamCamp on a military installation. None the less, a minute later her rig was straight and in their camp site.
Old 04-01-2022, 08:54 AM   #45
pawpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlasNav View Post
Yes, saw that he is with Oceaneering, they have become a big outfit. I recall when they had less than prime equipment back in the seventies, that firm has come a long way!

Saw in your later posts that you have considerable experience as a CDL driver, and will be able determine if the short wheelbase is acceptable once the rig is trimmed.
It will be interesting to hear your thoughts after you put some miles on the new configuration.

BTW: 49 years ago I married a girl from NOLA, we are still together, and I started my offshore work for companies on the bayou in the mid seventies. We have friends all around your area, from Chackbay to Golden Meadow….

Enjoy the new 25RDS, if you have any owner related questions regarding your specific unit, feel free to reach out.
Live right around the areas you mentioned. I went to work for Texaco in 1971 as a terminal operator trainee. Had 2-1/2 yrs of college and usually ended up doing paperwork that the company was so fond of. Trained for 2 weeks by a company driver and ended up driving for 12 yrs. In 1972 CDL's were not around yet. All we needed was a class D Louisiana license. They shut down our loading rack and I was drafted to work in the marine dept. and ended up running the marine fuels dept. Bunkering for ships and diesel deliveries all by barge. My wife is also from New Orleans and we've been married over 52 yrs. Driving for an oil company back then was a good job and paid well. Coming from a F350 DRW diesel that I pulled the 2 fifth wheels we had is a big drop to an Expedition. So far we've already adjusted the hitch..aired up my rear 10 ply tires and took it back out for a test run late yesterday. At 70 mph with 10 to 15 mph winds it towed a lot better. I usually tow at 60-62 mph any way so I think its safe on the road. Pulled many loads of fuel that weighed over 54K pounds.800 gallons over the scale weight of 8000 gallons. Texaco did this on local runs and risked the chance of getting weighed by portable scales. Cut it down to legal going out of state. Take care and going check on the crew putting up new gutters.
Old 04-01-2022, 09:19 AM   #46
GlasNav

Sounds like we may have been in the same place at the same time! I use to load 6 oil out of Texaco Marrero on sea going tug and barge units for delivery at Florida power plants.
Old 04-01-2022, 10:12 AM   #47
pawpaw

Quote:
Sounds like we may have been in the same place at the same time! I use to load 6 oil out of Texaco Marrero on sea going tug and barge units for delivery at Florida power plants.
We had the Texaco Tampa that came in every so often. That was the location I worked at for 17 yrs. We also had the Texaco Marrero that pushed a 3 barge tow with refined products from Port Arthur to us weekly. Shame that Texaco was basically sued out of business and the name was bought by Chevron. We usually loaded #6 oil (bunker c) or intermediate fuel oil for ships. I did the blending on our barges that had the blender systems for a few years then went into the office and learned how to set up the blends on the new PC in 1985!! Small world.
Old 04-01-2022, 11:09 AM   #48
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpaw View Post
I agree. I think drivers pulling trailers or campers should be required to pass driving ability tests also. I drove semi tanker trucks for 12 yrs and had to pass a test. Drove in the military and had to have a military license. No special requirements as far as I know. Scary just watching people drive these rigs into some campgrounds. I quit counting at 2 million miles so I'm still learning!!
While I respect your experience, I wouldn't get overconfident in the ability to overcome a situation where an overloaded tow vehichle isn't capable of controlling the load. Travel safe.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 11:21 AM   #49
jasin1

Change out those TT tires asap..they are not very good to start with especially towing above the rated speed..good luck

Have a blowout and you will find the limits of that suv
Old 04-09-2022, 12:55 PM   #50
Cougar25

We put in a Brooklyn Bedding Signature Hybrid RV King and love it. Take a bit of extra effort to make it, but the bed is worth it. We bought one for home and got rid of our Temper-Pedic!
Old 04-12-2022, 06:00 AM   #51
adm1949

Do you have a link to the gas struts? Looking to install them over the dinette and over the bed. Thanks!
adm1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 06:21 AM   #52
GlasNav

I used the 30N struts over the dinette and the 20N struts over the bed, as the size of the openings and doors are different.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08YXR4CMV...roduct_details

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08NGB28XN...t_details&th=1
Old 04-12-2022, 09:14 AM   #53
BubbaShoots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar25 View Post
We put in a Brooklyn Bedding Signature Hybrid RV King and love it. Take a bit of extra effort to make it, but the bed is worth it. We bought one for home and got rid of our Temper-Pedic!
We have the same mattress in an Olympic Queen (66”x80”) provides just a little more walking room on the sides. The mattress is awesome!
WeighSafe True Tow WDH
SoftStart on both AC’s, 2 Honda 2200 generators connected in parallel
Retired, 1 wife, 2 dogs
BubbaShoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 09:46 AM   #54
GlasNav

Popular product, ordered ours this morning!
Old 05-02-2022, 08:13 AM   #55
4Papa

Quote:
I used the 30N struts over the dinette and the 20N struts over the bed, as the size of the openings and doors are different.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08YXR4CMV...roduct_details

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08NGB28XN...t_details&th=1
Looking to do the same with our cabinet doors. What length did you get for the 20N and 30N struts? Thanks!
4Papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 09:22 AM   #56
4Papa

Great pictures! How difficult was it to run the wiring to the surge protector display above the InCommand box? I'm looking at running a remote display from my Xantrex Inverter box from the front-left corner of the TT to the same place.
Old 05-02-2022, 10:17 AM   #57
gregrc75

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Papa View Post
Great pictures! How difficult was it to run the wiring to the surge protector display above the InCommand box? I'm looking at running a remote display from my Xantrex Inverter box from the front-left corner of the TT to the same place.
I think you are asking me. It wasn’t too hard. There is a panel to the right of the TV that unscrews and allows access to the back of the Incommand screen. How you would get it to that spot from the front left of the trailer might be a little tricky.

Greg
2022 Cougar 25RDS
2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD gas
Fairhaven, MA
gregrc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 12:47 PM   #58
4Papa

Thanks for figuring out for whom my post was intended.

"Tricky" is right. I found the access panel in the TV recess cabinet and was hoping against hope that there might be a magic channel to run wires through.
Old 05-02-2022, 01:00 PM   #59
gregrc75

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Papa View Post
Thanks for figuring out for whom my post was intended.

"Tricky" is right. I found the access panel in the TV recess cabinet and was hoping against hope that there might be a magic channel to run wires through.
I did see that behind the microwave, there is a hole in the wall that all the wires run down. They come out behind the stove or fuse box. You might be able to fish a wire down there, then through the floor and across inside the underbelly, and then resurface in the front. But, that seems pretty involved. Not sure how motivated you are haha.

Greg
2022 Cougar 25RDS
2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD gas
Fairhaven, MA
gregrc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 01:26 PM   #60
4Papa

Not that motivated. But I will have to figure something out as access to the inverter/charger remote to see and respond to error codes seems fairly critical on these SolarFlex upgrades.

Tags
cougar