Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2022, 03:44 PM   #21
pawpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregrc75 View Post
No problem at all! Good luck!
Yes, Otis is right across the bay from my town. Once in a while I catch a glimpse of aircraft heading that way!
We would fly over the Cape Cod canal bridge...Falmouth..Woods Hole and then over to P-town!! We had old clunker aircraft back then...early 70's.
Old 03-25-2022, 03:53 PM   #22
gregrc75

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpaw View Post
We would fly over the Cape Cod canal bridge...Falmouth..Woods Hole and then over to P-town!! We had old clunker aircraft back then...early 70's.
That’s awesome!

Greg
2022 Cougar 25RDS
2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD gas
Fairhaven, MA
gregrc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 04:13 PM   #23
pawpaw

Quote:
That’s awesome!
Our oldest grandson that works on a large vessel came through the Cape Cod canal and was tied up in Woods Hole for a few days. He was surprised I knew that area. This was last year. Heading out with the wife to see the camper at the dealer a little over a hundred miles away. Leaving early to be there for 9am. I first joined this site when we had the Fuzion in late 2014 but hadn't posted since 2018. Adios!!
Old 03-26-2022, 06:34 AM   #24
GlasNav

Sounds like your grandson is working for Chouest?
When we lived in BTR years ago, we would tow our 33ft TT onto the beach at Grand Isle and had a great time!
GlasNav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 12:50 PM   #25
pawpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlasNav View Post
Sounds like your grandson is working for Chouest?
When we lived in BTR years ago, we would tow our 33ft TT onto the beach at Grand Isle and had a great time!
He finished from the maritime classes that Chouest had. Before he could get on with Chouest he was hired by Oceaneering. He's been with them over 2 yrs. Went from a galley hand to the robotics crew. He's been working mostly in Europe and really enjoys it. Not oilfield related work but for the government. On a Chouest boat now. Our daughter and son in law had a camp at Grand Isle that was destroyed during hurricane Ida. We've camped a lot at the State Park on the island. Grand Isle and Port Fourchon took a direct hit from the storm and lots of damage. Went to Lafayette this morning to look at the camper. It's being serviced and we pick it up Wednesday. Small world!!
Old 03-28-2022, 07:22 AM   #26
GlasNav

Unhappy Before you accept the unit

Before you accept the unit from the dealer, a few recommendations to review and avoid post delivery warranty items.
1. Have the dealer water hose test the windows in your presence with you inside, checking the sealant around the frames for leaks.
2. Make sure that the backsplash behind the galley sink is fully adhered, might require some 3M adhesive spray.
3. Have them check the torque on all tire lugs and verify that a lug wasn’t stripped on the Lippert chassis assembly line; we had one stripped lug.
4. Have the dealer test the black water tank flush system, ours had the check valve / vacuum breaker installed backwards and wouldn’t work.
5. Check if equipped, that the stabilizers / levelers operate properly. We had one that required a new circuit breaker as it would stop with no load while being extended.
6. Check the compartment dividers under the galley sink, and beneath the drivers side dinette bench, and make sure they are intact and not collapsed.
7. Check the folding dinette table and make sure it isn’t wobbly and is rigid when locked the standing position. Ours needed help, was loose, screws hadn’t been tighten, and the joints required spacers to keep it from flopping around. It was also a little rusty as if it had been stored outside, or was a second that they used during the Covid parts shortage.

Improvements or upgrades that all 25RDS owners might want to consider.
Install a check valve on the intake side of the water pump to avoid headaches in the future when the water pump starts leaking back into the fresh water tank while in city supply.

Install gas strut lifters on the overhead cabinet doors. (See picture)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	30E155BD-8698-4D2B-8E9A-F0C008D756EB.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	257.1 KB
ID:	38978  
Old 03-28-2022, 08:12 AM   #27
pawpaw

Quote:
Before you accept the unit from the dealer, a few recommendations to review and avoid post delivery warranty items.
1. Have the dealer water hose test the windows in your presence with you inside, checking the sealant around the frames for leaks.
2. Make sure that the backsplash behind the galley sink is fully adhered, might require some 3M adhesive spray.
3. Have them check the torque on all tire lugs and verify that a lug wasn’t stripped on the Lippert chassis assembly line; we had one stripped lug.
4. Have the dealer test the black water tank flush system, ours had the check valve / vacuum breaker installed backwards and wouldn’t work.
5. Check if equipped, that the stabilizers / levelers operate properly. We had one that required a new circuit breaker as it would stop with no load while being extended.
6. Check the compartment dividers under the galley sink, and beneath the drivers side dinette bench, and make sure they are intact and not collapsed.
7. Check the folding dinette table and make sure it isn’t wobbly and is rigid when locked the standing position. Ours needed help, was loose, screws hadn’t been tighten, and the joints required spacers to keep it from flopping around. It was also a little rusty as if it had been stored outside, or was a second that they used during the Covid parts shortage.

Improvements or upgrades that all 25RDS owners might want to consider.
Install a check valve on the intake side of the water pump to avoid headaches in the future when the water pump starts leaking back into the fresh water tank while in city supply.

Install gas strut lifters on the overhead cabinet doors. (See picture)

Thanks for the info! Model specific is what I wanted for these tips. Weather looks bad for the Wednesday pick up date so we may have to get it Thursday or Friday whenever the wife gets off work. Did you see the company my grandson works for in one of my previous posts. He seems happy working for them so far. He's a big and smart young man so we're proud of him so far. Mods on the cabinet look great. Any other tips on this model camper please let me know!
Old 03-28-2022, 10:46 AM   #28
gregrc75

Quote:
Thanks for the info! Model specific is what I wanted for these tips. Weather looks bad for the Wednesday pick up date so we may have to get it Thursday or Friday whenever the wife gets off work. Did you see the company my grandson works for in one of my previous posts. He seems happy working for them so far. He's a big and smart young man so we're proud of him so far. Mods on the cabinet look great. Any other tips on this model camper please let me know!
I second his recommendation on the check valve. Ours was backwards as well but thankfully, it was easy to just unscrew and reverse. It took me about 13 seconds. But, you might a well have them check it.

Great advice on the cabinet struts. I did that as well.
Also- added a 50A hardwired surge protector with remote LCD screen. I added a drawer under the door side dinette. Added central vac. Added a Slide topper. Shelves in the wardrobe cabinets.

Greg
2022 Cougar 25RDS
Fairhaven, MA
Old 03-28-2022, 01:40 PM   #29
pawpaw

Quote:
I second his recommendation on the check valve. Ours was backwards as well but thankfully, it was easy to just unscrew and reverse. It took me about 13 seconds. But, you might a well have them check it.

Great advice on the cabinet struts. I did that as well.
Also- added a 50A hardwired surge protector with remote LCD screen. I added a drawer under the door side dinette. Added central vac. Added a Slide topper. Shelves in the wardrobe cabinets.
Thanks Greg. Good to know what to look for on this model camper. We had the slide toppers on our 5th and really liked them so I already have this in mind. We added a Dyson portable vac that we had in the utility closet. Good to a have a vac in a camper. Have a 50 amp 15' extension power cord and a 50 amp Surge Guard portable surge protector salvaged from our 5th wheel. I told the salesman I want to put weight on the rear of the Expedition with no weight distribution hitch to see how far we have to lift it. Shows 835 lbs hitch wt with an empty trailer. Looks like we'll have to load like a toyhauler and throw weight to the rear of the camper!!
Old 03-29-2022, 04:18 AM   #30
gregrc75

Quote:
Thanks Greg. Good to know what to look for on this model camper. We had the slide toppers on our 5th and really liked them so I already have this in mind. We added a Dyson portable vac that we had in the utility closet. Good to a have a vac in a camper. Have a 50 amp 15' extension power cord and a 50 amp Surge Guard portable surge protector salvaged from our 5th wheel. I told the salesman I want to put weight on the rear of the Expedition with no weight distribution hitch to see how far we have to lift it. Shows 835 lbs hitch wt with an empty trailer. Looks like we'll have to load like a toyhauler and throw weight to the rear of the camper!!
Thats the one I used, salvaged from my previous Keystone Premier.
I mounted the Surge Guard and central vac under the right side dinette. I ran the remote LCD screen wires and mounted that above the In-Command screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	64873A45-D3D1-44EA-B8E0-946A0FE291C3.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	254.0 KB
ID:	38996   Click image for larger version

Name:	294FC12A-5588-45B0-8486-268B16B2761F.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	291.5 KB
ID:	38997   Click image for larger version

Name:	23C65B6E-AF2C-40F6-9034-600D7FA44952.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	196.8 KB
ID:	38998   Click image for larger version

Name:	FF747208-560A-48A5-96E3-FBE648C2B41E.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	231.7 KB
ID:	38999  

Greg
2022 Cougar 25RDS
Fairhaven, MA
Old 03-29-2022, 06:36 AM   #31
pawpaw

Quote:
Thats the one I used, salvaged from my previous Keystone Premier.
I mounted the Surge Guard and central vac under the right side dinette. I ran the remote LCD screen wires and mounted that above the In-Command screen.
Good job on that Greg!

The unit we're getting has the theatre seats but that looks like a first class set up.
Old 03-29-2022, 03:08 PM   #32
gregrc75

Quote:
Good job on that Greg!

The unit we're getting has the theatre seats but that looks like a first class set up.
Thanks! We have theater seats as well. This is the dinette across the back.

Greg
2022 Cougar 25RDS
Fairhaven, MA
Old 03-29-2022, 05:01 PM   #33
pawpaw

Quote:
Thanks! We have theater seats as well. This is the dinette across the back.
Realized that after I posted it. Got my 50 amp pole back up thanks to my nephew this evening so we can power up the camper when we pick it up. Severe weather for tomorrow with 50 to 60 mph winds so we'll try for a Thursday pick up.
Old 03-31-2022, 11:41 AM   #34
pawpaw

Picked it up today. Noticed some sway at 55 to 60 mph so I guess the hitch has to be tweaked. Looks like more weight has to go to the front of the truck.

Old 03-31-2022, 12:06 PM   #35
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Picked it up today. Noticed some sway at 55 to 60 mph so I guess the hitch has to be tweaked. Looks like more weight has to go to the front of the truck.

So what have you got there? Certianly not what's listed in the signature.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 12:46 PM   #36
GlasNav

Think that short wheelbase is going to present a challenge!
The trailer appears to be level. But, comparing the gap differences between the front and rear wheel fender wells, the compensator hitch needs adjusting to bring some of that load forward. Your headlights are probably looking for owls even on low beams! This will also contribute to sway. You probably wouldn’t even know it was behind you with your old truck!
Old 03-31-2022, 01:39 PM   #37
travelin texans

Quote:

Wait til you get some stiff crosswinds!
The biggest issue is that you're attempting to use the family mover grocery getter as a tow vehicle for too much rv.
Yes it may be rated to "tow" XXXXlbs, but it's not, never will be, rated to "carry" that much weight especially when full of people & stuff.
That's 8800lb GVWR rv with a 1100+ lb tongue weight on a vehicle with maybe 1500 lb payload + whoever whatever is in it + 100lb WDH + a short wheel base = no fun towing.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 04:15 PM   #38
pawpaw

Quote:
Think that short wheelbase is going to present a challenge!
The trailer appears to be level. But, comparing the gap differences between the front and rear wheel fender wells, the compensator hitch needs adjusting to bring some of that load forward. Your headlights are probably looking for owls even on low beams! This will also contribute to sway. You probably wouldn’t even know it was behind you with your old truck!
Son in law came over this evening and tweaked it to where it's just about level. Aired up the rear tires to about 65 psi and got it up to 70 mph and its a lot better. Dealer didn't have the hitch set right. You're right about the dually...that was an amazing towing machine. I'm sure you heard of Oceaneering..thats who the grandson works for. In case you missed one of my prior posts. The Ecoboost pulls and stops the camper just fine. Got 9.5 mpg towing it back 110 miles. Only 10 to 20mph winds today compared to the 50 mph we had yesterday.
Old 03-31-2022, 04:24 PM   #39
pawpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
So what have you got there? Certianly not what's listed in the signature.
That was my original Keystone 371 Fuzion we bought in late 2014. Traded for a 377 Solitude that we had for 3-1/2 yrs until it was totaled during hurricane Ida. Sold my dually for what I paid for it and bought the Expedition never thinking about getting another camper. I was wrong!!
Old 03-31-2022, 04:58 PM   #40
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
That was my original Keystone 371 Fuzion we bought in late 2014. Traded for a 377 Solitude that we had for 3-1/2 yrs until it was totaled during hurricane Ida. Sold my dually for what I paid for it and bought the Expedition never thinking about getting another camper. I was wrong!!
I think you edited that right after my post. I'd recommend wheighing that rig and finding out where you are vs the gvw rating on that suv. Pulling, stopping, those are the easy manuvers. Having a deer, a child, or a vehichle comming ay you requireing a radical steering inputs are another story.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar