Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2021, 04:47 PM   #21
Rangerj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mroe67 View Post
Next time I’m at a truck stop with a scale I will weigh the unit. But was also told the only difference between a Dodge RM 3/4 ton and a 1 ton is the rear axil ratio and springs and brakes. The engine and tranny are the same in both, or so I was told
The problem, is you don't have the "springs." The springs, according to the cummins and Ram sites are 1,000 lbs more max weight. You probably have springs that are rated at about 2100 lbs. The heavy duty springs are a thousand pounds more than that. Plus, you are probably 1,000 pounds over axle weight and close to another 1,000 pounds over the tire weights. Man, with a 16,000 trailer you are REALLY way too fat for your 3/4 ton.

Johnnie, Suzanne and Dixie Blue
2018 336fbok Jayco
2011 3500 Ram DRW 6.7 Cummins
Rangerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 04:48 PM   #22
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Next time I’m at a truck stop with a scale I will weigh the unit. But was also told the only difference between a Dodge RM 3/4 ton and a 1 ton is the rear axil ratio and springs and brakes. The engine and tranny are the same in both, or so I was told

Whoever told you that 1) is full of you know what and 2) doesn't have a clue how those things correlate to "carrying" a heavier load - I've owned/own both.

Those brakes and springs give you more "carrying" capacity. So do the heavier brakes - bigger hub, bigger load bearing capacity....as well as stopping capacity. And the list would go on. Axle ratios is pure BS if they said that, depending on engine/tranny combo you can get the same ratios in both.

As others have said if you are loaded at 16k, or even have the possibility of doing so, you have WAY to little truck. I wouldn't pull a 13k trailer with my Ram 2500, I can't imagine traveling the way you have....even if you have had "great" trips. That great "karma" will come around one day.....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 05:07 PM   #23
mcomeaux

Haven't heard of any legal litigation as of yet> But having been in the tire business we always had to look at date coding and follow guide lines of weight capacities. Where we go in the winter we have LE guys from California that look for the triple axle trailers and the SW 2500 pulling them. And yes they write tickets. Further more operating outside the factory perimeters on door post if a law suit came into effect the Attorneys would have a hay day and your insurance may come in to question as well. What assets are you willing to lose to save $$$ on tow vehicle. Lets not forget your own personal safety and others..I'm on my second set of Sailuns and run them only 3 years for my own safety reasons then replace...
Old 08-18-2021, 05:31 PM   #24
CWtheMan

Quote:
Did all the GVWR ratings stuff, truck can pull 19500lbs have made several trips through mountain areas truck pulls Loaded RV just fine
What's that 19500# weight? GCWR?

GVWR is the ultimate safety limiter. Consumers cannot legally change it. Only the vehicle manufacturer and certified vehicle modifiers have that authority.

Because your tow vehicle has GAWRs with load capacity reserves does not mean they should regularly carry their limit. In almost all cases, those GAWR weighs will exceed the vehicle's GVWR.

But your primary question was about trailer tires and that question cannot be properly answered without knowing your vehicle's GAWR values and the OE tires designated size, load capacity and recommended cold inflation pressures.

Changing the OE tires with some larger designated size "Plus Sizing". That brings a new rules requirement into play.

By the way, GCWRs are variable. That's why they are not written in stone.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 07:07 PM   #25
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Go to a truck stop, get that weight slip and then stop by both the truck salesman's office and the RV salesman's office and have a bit of "education lesson" for both of them. If you do it "loudly enough for the general manager of both dealerships to hear, maybe at their next "sales staff meeting" they'll discuss "not BSing the customers"...... Then, maybe not... It's possible they'll just decide the "worst liar in the building (the guy you caught) has to buy doughnuts for the next sales staff meeting.... <sigh>
Unfortunatley the'll probably get a bonus for "closing the deal:.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 03:33 AM   #26
RickV

In regards to the Saliun Tires. I have recently seen a increase in people having issues with them but, it seems it is not the ones made in China they are also made in Vietnam and those are the ones that most of the problems are occurring with (bad quality control?). I put Saliun S637s on my previous 5er it weighed around 13k after having separations with the original TowMax bombs and also with Hercules also. After I put on the S637s I drove from Florida to Montana and back twice and all over Florida for 2 years put about 20k miles on em never had the first problem. Bought a set for my Nephew for Christmas one year he at the time was hauling cars all over the country and was probably running heavier then most 5ers, he loved the tires and put over 60K on em without the first problem.

Not piling on about the weight/tow thing but I had a 2003 F250 with the 7.3 diesel when I first bought my previous 5er. While it had the same motor and transmission as a F350 Dually and the specs said it could pull the load of the 5er the GVWR was nowhere near what the Dually's was. Loaded up with Me, the Wife, two Boxers, Fuel, etc I was about 500 lbs over the GVWR. It pulled fine and I put Timbrens on it and tried to convince myself that I was good to go but , in the back of my mind it kept bothering me that i was "Not Legal". After about six months I sold the truck and got my first Dually and would not ever consider pulling anything over 10k without one. On a side note when we were looking to buy our first camper I only had a Chevy 1500, I knew I would need something bigger to pull with unless I got a popup or some other smaller trailer. While shopping a pushy salesman was showing us campers and saying "Sure you can pull that with your truck" I knew better and told him so as we walked out. A lot of Salesmen only care about one thing, making the sale and will say and do anything to make it happen.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 05:57 AM   #27
Mroe67

Just a note…… can’t believe the dealer wouldn’t want me to get the bigger 1 ton, that would be more money in his pocket, yet told me the 3/4 tone was big enough. Yes yes I know do the math. I will when I can
Mroe67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 06:09 AM   #28
jfk69

Quote:
Just a note…… can’t believe the dealer wouldn’t want me to get the bigger 1 ton, that would be more money in his pocket, yet told me the 3/4 tone was big enough. Yes yes I know do the math. I will when I can
Not necessarily. Inventory, invoice price, manufacturer incentives and volume rewards all play a part in what is most “profitable” for a dealer on a particular sale.
jfk69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 06:25 AM   #29
JDDilly

When we purchased our last 5er, I had a 2500. The salesperson told me I had more then enough truck for that camper. However, I did my homework and knew I was way over capacity for the 2500 and were already looking at 3500 DRW trucks. I took that opportunity to educate the sales person and sales manager. Not sure they got it because their response was that my truck could tow ### weight. I told them that was correct, but it could not haul the payload I would be putting on the truck when fully loaded.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2023 Fuzion 421
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 06:27 AM   #30
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
During one of those "sales meetings" the dealership sales manager announces, "We've had that POS tan 3/4 ton sitting on the lot for 6 months. The interest on the money to have it sitting there is eating the dealership's profits and the manufacturer's rebates to us expire in 15 days. We'll give the salesman who unloads that junk an extra $300 commission. Let's move every 3/4 ton on the lot by next Friday. There's a $200 commission bonus on every one you sell."

Then he goes on to say, "Oh, and the two 1 ton trucks on the lot are in negotiations with a fleet buyer, so hands off the 1 tons unless that deal falls through."

OK, so is there "more money" selling the 1 ton over the 3/4 ton ?????

It's not about "window sticker price" it's about "bottom line profit" and that's not always (actually almost never) about what's on the window sticker.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 06:28 AM   #31
Mroe67

I do have the helper self leveling system type of air bag system that helps raise the bed up and deal with the weight. Again….. so I was told
Old 08-19-2021, 06:33 AM   #32
JDDilly

Air bags help the ride, but do nothing for the capacity of the truck. Actually, they decrease the payload by the amount the airbags weigh. Everything added to the truck after coming off the line (running boards, floor mats, mud flaps, ect) cut into the payload capacity.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2023 Fuzion 421
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 07:12 AM   #33
travelin texans

The best thing you could do is FORGET EVERYTHING either salesman said about towing anything, forget you ever heard or read "that truck is rated to tow XXXXX lbs" when shopping for the next truck, all the pertinent numbers are listed on the drivers door jamb & the drivers side front corner of the rv, then get truck & RV weighed so you'll know exactly what you have/need.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 07:41 AM   #34
jfk69

The earth is flat and is the center of the universe. I now told you that. Please go preach it as gospel.
jfk69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 07:47 AM   #35
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfk69 View Post
The earth is flat and is the center of the universe. I now told you that. Please go preach it as gospel.
WHAT the hell are YOU talking about & to whom????
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 07:49 AM   #36
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
The best thing you could do is FORGET EVERYTHING either salesman said about towing anything, forget you ever heard or read "that truck is rated to tow XXXXX lbs" when shopping for the next truck, all the pertinent numbers are listed on the drivers door jamb & the drivers side front corner of the rv, then get truck & RV weighed so you'll know exactly what you have/need.
�� This is the best thing to do. I hadn't gotten around to doing the weigh thing with new 5er and new truck. We have been at a campground in SD for 6 weeks so last week I topped off with fuel and with Me and the Wife in the truck and everything that is usually in the bed and got on the CAT Scale to get the weight of the truck it weighed in at 9100 lbs. We are leaving next Thursday so I will top off the truck again and with the 5er hooked up get on the scale again. I know I won't have a problem because the GVWR of the truck is 14000 lbs but, at least I'll know what I am dealing with.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 07:51 AM   #37
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
WHAT the hell are YOU talking about & to whom????
Pretty sure that he is posting a general funny about sales speak as a reply to this entire thread 🤔
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 07:52 AM   #38
markcee

MRoe..

The best way to see where you stand is to weigh your truck fully loaded for camping. Subtract this weight from the truck's GVWR, which is listed on a white sticker on the driver's side door pillar. This weight is what you will have left to support the pin weight of your 5th wheel.

If you aren't able to hit a scale up but want to get a ballpark idea of your likely 'overloaded-ness', take a look at the other sticker on the driver's side door pillar - the yellow and white 'Tire and Loading' one - this sticker will list your specific truck's cargo carrying capacity (CCC or payload). This is unique to every vehicle and was based on your truck's GVWR minus what it weighed (factoring in a full tank of fuel) when it left the factory. This is how much you can 'carry'.

Next, add up your weight, the weight of any other passengers, pets, gear, tools, the hitch and any other miscellaneous items that will be in the truck cab or bed when towing. To this figure add 3,680 lbs. - your ballpark pin weight based on 23% of your trailer's GVWR.

What is this weight in relation to the sticker CCC?

This exercise will give you a good idea on what to look for payload wise should you be thinking of a vehicle upgrade in the future.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 07:52 AM   #39
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Go to any store that sells tv's and ask them "what's the best tv you have?". The salesman will tell you themodel that's stacked to the rafters in the back room and not the 2 more expensive models remaining in stock. The same for appliance stores, shoe stores, or ANYTHING being sold. If you chose to believe what comes out of a selesmans mouth as gospel (instead of lioes as most people realize) then good luck. And oh yes I almost forgot, I have some prime mountian land in FL for sale. Interested?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 08:00 AM   #40
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Go to any store that sells tv's and ask them "what's the best tv you have?". The salesman will tell you themodel that's stacked to the rafters in the back room and not the 2 more expensive models remaining in stock. The same for appliance stores, shoe stores, or ANYTHING being sold. If you chose to believe what comes out of a selesmans mouth as gospel (instead of lioes as most people realize) then good luck. And oh yes I almost forgot, I have some prime mountian land in FL for sale. Interested?
When I worked for Sears in the sporting goods section during my college years I came in wearing my white shirt but had on a pair of stars and stripes bell bottoms. I was sent home and the next day when I came in wearing my white shirt and plain ol' pants and the manager transferred me to the clothing section and I thought it ironic that ol' gals would come in to buy clothes for their kids or husband and ask me if stuff "went together". I had now become a fashion expert by virtue of the job in the clothing department.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote