Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2021, 10:43 AM   #21
BandT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
I'm beginning to think there is a definite market for "RV inspection service," similar to the "home inspection service" homebuyers often employ. RVs are getting well beyond the competence of the average buyer to inspect.
I couldn’t agree more! Our RV looks much the same, it does not seem to have any adhesive under the top layer. More so we STILL don’t know what is OK and what isn’t, as this is our first RV. We purchased ours local, but only because it was the only one in the western US, our dealer couldn’t get us out fast enough. Now we can’t get back in for service to save our lives.

Bottom line, I would have gladly paid a third party inspection.
Old 08-09-2021, 11:45 PM   #22
LHaven

The weak spot in that approach is that your activism would be most effective if you got a TV station in your dealer's area to shame him... but are you willing to drive back there and have him fix it, especially if you know it's going to take multiple days to finish? Shaming your dealer in your local reception area won't really bother him, and Gander has done nothing to deserve shaming.
Old 08-10-2021, 02:35 AM   #23
Campy

Don't let any Keystone dealer farm out any repair to a 3rd party. Keystone will pass the warranty off to them and step away. My selling dealer did this on a front cap gelcoat blister repair and screwed me big time. Keystone just blew it off and said it's the repair shops problem now to make it right. Bad part was I did not know it was "farmed out" for repair. I dropped off at my dealer and picked up at my dealer, they took it there, seems sneaky and underhanded to me...
Old 08-10-2021, 05:14 AM   #24
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campy View Post
Don't let any Keystone dealer farm out any repair to a 3rd party. Keystone will pass the warranty off to them and step away. My selling dealer did this on a front cap gelcoat blister repair and screwed me big time. Keystone just blew it off and said it's the repair shops problem now to make it right. Bad part was I did not know it was "farmed out" for repair. I dropped off at my dealer and picked up at my dealer, they took it there, seems sneaky and underhanded to me...
Who told you this? The dealer or Keystone? The dealership is the entity you purchased it from. They act as an agent for Keystone. If the dealership sub contracted the work out and there's an issue then it's their responsability to rectify it. Something isn't right and you need to (or should have) challenged that.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 05:18 AM   #25
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campy View Post
Not trying to defend the dealership, but it was possible that they didn’t have a tech qualified to do that type of repair. And unfortunately it does become the responsibility of the shop that did the repair to make it right. You need to contact the service mgr of the dealership you use for the repair, keystone doesn’t pick third parties for that type of work I bet.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 08:42 PM   #26
alexandcari

Hello Folks, This is where we're at so far. I think we've covered all the bases. We contacted Keystone, they responded but not sure what they're doing yet. We took it to Gander, as there's nowhere else nearby. I have to say at least so far, they've been proactive. The service manager climbed up on the roof and was pretty appalled. He asked if we had the PDI checklist, which we did and that it would be instrumental in getting Keystone to approve a new membrane to be installed. We're taking it back Wednesday, they'll take pictures and start a formal claim. Not sure where it will lead, but we're told if it goes well, they will order parts and need the camper for 4-5 weeks. I guess it's 40 hours labor and they have to pull everything off. Not sure if Keystone will allow it or not. Also, the 50 amp receptacle had to replaced and that's before we ever got to even plug it in the first time! At least we have things rolling. Should be interesting to see how far Gander will go to help us get fixed up. Thanks for your support, we are grateful for it.
alexandcari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 09:47 PM   #27
LHaven

Sounds like Gander is stepping up to the plate to remedy a problem that isn't theirs (assuming your remote selling dealer wasn't also a Gander or a CW). Props to them.
Old 08-13-2021, 08:24 AM   #28
alexandcari

Quote:
Sounds like Gander is stepping up to the plate to remedy a problem that isn't theirs (assuming your remote selling dealer wasn't also a Gander or a CW). Props to them.
Hi,
It was a large independent dealer. Lakeshore RV in Muskegan, Michigan. I am a captive audience, to say the least.
Old 08-13-2021, 08:27 AM   #29
alexandcari

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Is there a reason you are reluctant to name the dealer? Most of us would feel quite differently!
No not at all. Lakeshore RV in Muskegan, Michigan. Seriously not happy with any aspect of the transaction.
Old 08-13-2021, 08:28 AM   #30
alexandcari

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Welcome to the forum…when replying hit the “quote” button under the post your directly replying to….this will help keep your answers in context and to the right member…can get confusing if you don’t do that
I finally figured that out! Thanks for the welcome
Old 08-13-2021, 07:21 PM   #31
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandcari View Post
Hello Folks, This is where we're at so far. I think we've covered all the bases. We contacted Keystone, they responded but not sure what they're doing yet. We took it to Gander, as there's nowhere else nearby. I have to say at least so far, they've been proactive. The service manager climbed up on the roof and was pretty appalled. He asked if we had the PDI checklist, which we did and that it would be instrumental in getting Keystone to approve a new membrane to be installed. We're taking it back Wednesday, they'll take pictures and start a formal claim. Not sure where it will lead, but we're told if it goes well, they will order parts and need the camper for 4-5 weeks. I guess it's 40 hours labor and they have to pull everything off. Not sure if Keystone will allow it or not. Also, the 50 amp receptacle had to replaced and that's before we ever got to even plug it in the first time! At least we have things rolling. Should be interesting to see how far Gander will go to help us get fixed up. Thanks for your support, we are grateful for it.
Great to hear! I hope the best for you. Roof membrane replacement is very labor intensive.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 07:13 AM   #32
Camp CA

Purchased 3 fifth wheel trailers and the roof covering on each were perfectly smooth without wrinkles. Hopefully, you will get satisfaction with your trailer's roof covering.
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 07:52 AM   #33
Ellen

And don’t forget your option of a Yelp review if the situation doesn’t improve.
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 12:28 PM   #34
Mikelff

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandcari View Post
Hello Folks,
Great to meet you folks Alex, my husband, and I hail from Southern Illinois. We just brought home a 2021 Outback Ultra Lite 302UBH. We opted for this model due to the limitations of what our truck could safely pull (9500 GVWR) and it also ticked off several of our "boxes". We drove 600 miles to get it. Hard to find stock apparently still related to the pandemic. In our excitement, we didn't check the roof ourselves before taking delivery. Due to my husbands recent back surgeries, he didn't climb up there and I was assured it had been thoroughly checked out... We have a 2 story house, so it was easy to see once we got it home that the roof has many issues in the covering and gluing. When we called them about this they said that 95% are like this. Which doesn't make it acceptable to us. We could kick ourselves for leaving the dealership with it like this. They also gave us a bad power cord... We are left with taking it to Gander Mountain (not who we bought from) to ask for it to be covered by warranty, they are the only authorized dealers in the vicinity. Any advice or shared experiences would be appreciated. Thank you so much.
Cari (and Alex)
Don’t know how many days it has been since you took delivery. Many states give you 3-7 business days to cancel the sale. Check your paperwork to see if you can return the trailer and cancel the sale. If not your only option is as others have posted. Start with your selling dealer. Also contact the CW or Gander location you spoke of that is authorized for warranty repairs. The first option that Keystone might authorize is to re-glue that roof membrane. That screw that you mentioned sounds like an issue that needs attention. While you are at it you need to check out everything in that trailer. ALL the appliances. Make sure everything works. Fill all the tanks, fresh water, grey an black. Then empty. Look for leaks. Make sure they all empty properly. If your trailer will be in for warranty, might as well get as much fixed at once as you can. Take pictures of issues, and make a list. I’m sure you will have one. So sorry you are having these issues. Let us know how it goes. Best of luck.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 01:16 PM   #35
German Shepherd Guy

Quote:
I'm beginning to think there is a definite market for "RV inspection service," similar to the "home inspection service" homebuyers often employ. RVs are getting well beyond the competence of the average buyer to inspect.

I think you are onto something. The dealer we bought our unit from tried hard to sell us another unit that had obvious flaws in the roof and the ceiling.

His response was "we'll get that all fixed up before delivery."

But I had to mention the problems to him. He did not come forward with it and as I said it was obvious.
I was green buying my first new RV and would have used an "inspection service" had one been available.

Sure hope Keystone steps up on this one for those folks.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 05:53 AM   #36
LERD

Quote:
There is an inspection service with people nation wide.
www.nrvia.com. It's run through the National RV Training Academy in Athens Texas. I've been hooked on their videos and tips for a couple of months now. Retirement is very close now. So I'm seriously thinking hard about taking their class and maybe toying with the idea of being a part time RV inspector or Mobile mechanic. Maybe I'll do the mechanical repair and the wife do the inspections. We're not sure. We want to make sure we enjoy traveling without the demands of constant work.
LERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 06:00 AM   #37
wiredgeorge

Many mobile mechanics also perform inspections. Not sure how well a prospective rv purchase is inspected in all cases but would guess a mobile mechanic would catch things the average Joe wouldn't find. Also, if I recall properly, Lakeshore is a mega dealer that sells a lot or used to on eBay. These type dealers may not be the best if you expect customer service a local dealer would supply. I would be suspicious of a dealer that didn't catch that mess the OP's roof represented. Hopefully the OP will get it fixed with no further issues and prospective buyers will note the name Lakeshore and will become aware that once they drive a camper off a lot, the problem becomes theirs in many cases.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 07:37 AM   #38
BandT

So I have bought a few “new” cars/trucks in my life. I would not have ever thought of having a third party inspection, if it looks good, we’re good! If there are any warranty issue’s the dealer handle’s them under “warranty”.
I would never have thought purchasing an RV would be any different. You spend 10’s of thousands of $$ and you have to haggle with the dealer to get defects fixed, and then wait months to get it in, and wait again to get repaired?
Not the experience I expected, more like buying a used car!
Old 08-16-2021, 11:46 AM   #39
apachewolf

Warranty work

Take your time and write a letter of complaint to the selling dealer. If I were you, I would quote the:
The Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act (P.L. 93-637) is a United States federal law (15 U.S.C. § 2301 et seq.). Enacted in 1975, the federal statute governs warranties on consumer products. The law does not require any product to have a warranty (it may be sold "as is"), but if it does have a warranty, the warranty must comply with this law. The law was created to fix problems as a result of manufacturers using disclaimers on warranties in an unfair or misleading manner.

I once got a full refund on a travel trailer in 2010 using that law. I even got the state sales tax refunded. Yes it took some time but it worked.

Best wishes and happy camping.
apachewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 12:34 PM   #40
Phil Saran

Keystone has a department called Customer Retention I believe there is a 800# in the front of your owners manual.
Colorado
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote