Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2021, 06:05 PM   #1
Dfarland

Keep blowing up power converter

I have blown up 3 or 4 power converters now and it's becoming annoying and expensive. It is coming from the connection at the 50 amp connection to the outside power. Sometimes that twist lock deal is not in there quite right and if you turn on the power it blows the converter and it's off to Camping world to buy a new one. Is this a bad power cord or bad receptacle? Anyone know of a power conditioner that would protect the converter and handle the 950 watts necessary to run it? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
Dfarland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 06:19 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

Something is wrong if you keep blowing converters. Are the units “blowing up”? As in not producing any voltage? Or is it popping the two fuses in the back?

If your not using an EMS ( energy management system), not a simple surge protected, get one before you waste yet another converter. Are you plugged into a 50A RV plug? Any dog one adapters?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 06:58 PM   #3
Dfarland

I am using a Camco power defender but that doesn't help in this situation. The twist plug isn't completely engaging. There is no ground. I have an electrical plug tester and you can plug that into one of the outlets and it shows no ground. Now you can go wiggle the twist lock plug to clear the no ground situation but you have blown up, and yes I mean blown up the power converter. The fuses do not blow, those are for mis polarity issues.
The power converter doesn't like not having a ground evidently.

I have tried to pay special attention to plugging the thing in, but it still keeps happening. Either the plug or the receptacle? It's hard to describe on a forum.
Old 03-24-2021, 07:11 PM   #4
bobbecky

Is it the ground or the neutral that you are losing? If you are not getting a proper neutral connection, it's possible that your voltage between the two hotlegs is floating and you might be getting way over 120 volts going into the converter. Before you install another converter, you must replace the receptacle for the shore cord on the trailer and I would also be concerned with the twist lock plug on the shore cable as well, and it would also be a good idea to just replace that too. Once all that is done, make very sure that all the connections in the panel of the trailer are tight, especially the ones going to the converter, the hotleg and neutral are the two that are critical along with the main cable connections at the 50 amp breaker and the neutral and ground wires in the panel. After all your expense, you might also want to install a hardwired EMS right before the panel, so any issues up to that point are protected. Then, hopefully you have fixed any problems in your wiring and you can install your last converter.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 08:32 PM   #5
travelin texans

Does this happen only at one specific power pedestal or any pedestal?
If it's the same one each time are you sure it's not wired for 240 volts?
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 08:55 PM   #6
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Does this happen only at one specific power pedestal or any pedestal?
If it's the same one each time are you sure it's not wired for 240 volts?
A 50 amp service is 240 volts, two legs of 120 volts, a neutral and a ground.
Is this a new trailer, or is it older and this just started happening?
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 08:57 PM   #7
Dfarland

Thanks for your input. You have pretty much verified my thoughts. The shore line I am using is the one that came with the rv so it's quality may be questionable. Is there any particular brand of cable and/or receptacle that excels? Also suggested hard wired power filter for the panel? Thanks again for your help!
Old 03-24-2021, 09:51 PM   #8
Dfarland

To rhagfo

Thank you, yes I understand how how the voltage is distributed. This is a intermittent connection problem. To my best memory the error on the outlet checker was ground, it may have been neutral. Nevertheless I believe either the plug or receptacle or both is the issue.
Old 03-25-2021, 03:52 AM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

Is the trailer end of your shore power cord straight or have a 90* bend? If it has a bend does it face down when locked in? You can rotate the plug on the trailer if that’s the problem.

In all my years, I can’t say I’ve seen a 50A shore cord that won’t lock in.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 03-25-2021, 04:22 AM   #10
Javi

Photos please.. and a hardwired EMS would prevent the convertor blowing up because it wouldn't let the power get that far... Check out the Progressive EMS systems a lot cheaper than another converter..
Old 03-25-2021, 04:32 AM   #11
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfarland View Post
Thanks for your input. You have pretty much verified my thoughts. The shore line I am using is the one that came with the rv so it's quality may be questionable. Is there any particular brand of cable and/or receptacle that excels? Also suggested hard wired power filter for the panel? Thanks again for your help!
Two things, yes get an EMS and I would suggest Progressive Industries EMS-W50C. This device protect from not only surges, but miss wired connections and low or high voltage.

https://www.amazon.com/PROGRESSIVE-I...44787876&psc=1

As to your question on before or after transfer switch, I would call Progressive industries and get their recommendations and requirements.

Second either spend a ton of $$$$ on a flexible 50 amp shore cord, or do as I did an make your own out of SOOW 6/4 or 6/3-4/1 cable, mine is 6/4 just easier to find. Mine is 40' long and fits in a 3 gallon bucket. The first picture is for scale of the three gallon bucket, the second is the cable coiled in the three gallon bucket, and yes it is 40 feet of cable.

Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 04:46 AM   #12
chuckster57
Site Team

We always installed hard wired EMS after transfer switch, gen power isn’t always perfect.

Old 03-25-2021, 04:48 AM   #13
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
We always installed hard wired EMS after transfer switch, gen power isn’t always perfect.
Yep... see page 5 of instructions https://98fc35b2-8b52-49c0-9df1-3310...164c8e591e.pdf
Old 03-25-2021, 07:34 AM   #14
bobbecky

Before anything else is done, replace or repair the connections at the trailer for the shore cord receptacle and plug. The reason you are burning up your converters is due to a bad neutral connection causing high voltage on the hot leg going to the converter. This is a floating neutral condition that can cause a fire if it isn’t fixed, in addition to burning up more than your converters.
With a floating neutral, caused by a bad connection, you will still have good hot legs, and will still measure 240 volts between them, but to the neutral, you will measure anything between 0 volts to 240 volts. I have seen in excess of 180 volts on a hot leg with 60 volts on the opposite hot leg, all caused by a bad neutral connection. Once the connection was repaired, both hot legs were stable at 120 volts each. This is again, a dangerous condition that must be repaired.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 08:26 AM   #15
flybouy
Site Team

Before energizing again at the minimum replace the male twist lock on the camper and the female on the cord. Marinco is a far better product for this than Camco IMHO. If the connection has been failing then it's been arching and building up carbon on the connections causing a high resistance and heat build up. It's a matter of time before that causes a fire. You need to cut back the shore cable far enough to get good shiny wire on all 4 lines.

After that, invest in a good EMS, not a surge protector. If you had an EMS to begin with you woul;d only be replacing the plug set and not multiple converters.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 08:39 PM   #16
Dfarland

Thank you all!

I just wanted to thank you all for your valuable contributions to this! This is the best forum I've ever joined!

I am going to first install the ems system, and do some vigorous testing on the shore line and plug. One last question though, If I install the ems system before the panel do I still need the camco power conditioner?

I salute you all!
Old 03-26-2021, 04:13 AM   #17
chuckster57
Site Team

No you won’t. A quality EMS is all you need.

Old 03-26-2021, 05:45 AM   #18
cavie

Quote:
I have blown up 3 or 4 power converters now and it's becoming annoying and expensive. It is coming from the connection at the 50 amp connection to the outside power. Sometimes that twist lock deal is not in there quite right and if you turn on the power it blows the converter and it's off to Camping world to buy a new one. Is this a bad power cord or bad receptacle? Anyone know of a power conditioner that would protect the converter and handle the 950 watts necessary to run it? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
Describe "Blowing up" are you tripping a breaker? If you aren't smart enough by now to plug in the "Twist-lock deal" to push the plug in tight and turn it to the right, then install the locking ring, You might as well sell the RV. A power conditioner will do you no good at all. It is not used for anything like the problem you are having. A power conditioner is used to protect sensitive electronics which we do not have in our RV's.
Old 03-26-2021, 05:46 AM   #19
cavie

Quote:
I just wanted to thank you all for your valuable contributions to this! This is the best forum I've ever joined!

I am going to first install the ems system, and do some vigorous testing on the shore line and plug. One last question though, If I install the ems system before the panel do I still need the camco power conditioner?

I salute you all!
You DO NOT need a power conditioner!
Old 03-26-2021, 06:09 AM   #20
flybouy
Site Team

IF BY "Power conditioner" you're refering to a surge device ten no. I'd suggest selling it to help recoupe your money.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter, power