Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2020, 02:38 AM   #1
Yareelohim

First TT - 29DFSWE

Just bought our first travel trailer, Hideout 29DFSWE. I’m pulling it with a 2015 Sierra 1500 6.2L (12,000lbs tow package).

Unfortunately we couldn’t take it home Saturday, when I began to pull out of the lot my DIC kept blinking “check trailer wiring.”

They are thinking it may be an electric brake magnet but they were closing and couldn’t look at at it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9253.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	247.3 KB
ID:	30791   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9255.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	214.6 KB
ID:	30792  
Yareelohim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 04:12 AM   #2
BrooksFam

from Oregon...…….
EAZ-Lift Recurve R3 #1200

BrooksFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 08:08 AM   #3
LewisB

That's a 10,000 pound 33 foot trailer correct? Has anyone discussed the max "payload" on your tow vehicle? Or was your purchase made based on the quoted "12000 tow package" and your dealer's recommendation?
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 08:24 AM   #4
wiredgeorge

I am curious too; what is the payload for your specific truck? The placard will be on the drivers door frame. The placard will say "The combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed" followed by your specific truck's payload. The hitch weight of you 9500 lb camper will be about 1200-1250 lbs and add the weight of hitch and passengers and whatever you have in the truck.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	payload_sticker.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	30773  
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 08:34 AM   #5
ewbldavis

Here we go...

For once can we hold off on the weight police? A buddy just purchased a 2014 max tow Chevy Silverado 1500. Payload is almost as much as my 2500, so I expect OP did some research. Yes - a 2500 would likely tow it better, but can we give OP benefit of the doubt since he specifically mentioned he has a max tow 12k truck.

Congrats on purchase. Hopefully they get brakes or whatever figured out so you can take it home!

Eddy

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L
2020 Cougar 32BHS
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 08:37 AM   #6
Yareelohim

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
That's a 10,000 pound 33 foot trailer correct? Has anyone discussed the max "payload" on your tow vehicle? Or was your purchase made based on the quoted "12000 tow package" and your dealer's recommendation?
Feel free to educate me if I have this wrong as I’m new to travel trailers. Sold my boat to buy this trailer.

Here are the trailer specs:
34”
7170 lbs = dry weight
2410 lbs = carry capacity
9580 lbs = total (GVWR)

780 lbs = hitch weight

(I assume “carry capacity” is all our gear, full propane tanks, batteries, and full holding tanks. Although I know some manufactures include full propane and batteries as dry weight).

My truck 2015 Sierra Denali 1500 with 6.2L and “max trailering package” (3.42 rear end with 8 speed transmission, 12k lbs axle, and MagnaRide suspension) is rated for:
12,000 lbs = towing weight
1,200 lbs = tongue weight

GM says the tow weight is calculated assuming there is a driver and passenger in the truck both weighing 150 lbs and includes 70lbs of tow equipment.

With the amount of gear we have and not pulling full tanks (with the exception of going to the dump station), I would say we will be in the 8k range 90% of the time.
Old 11-16-2020, 08:42 AM   #7
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewbldavis View Post
Here we go...

For once can we hold off on the weight police? A buddy just purchased a 2014 max tow Chevy Silverado 1500. Payload is almost as much as my 2500, so I expect OP did some research. Yes - a 2500 would likely tow it better, but can we give OP benefit of the doubt since he specifically mentioned he has a max tow 12k truck.

Congrats on purchase. Hopefully they get brakes or whatever figured out so you can take it home!

Caring if someone is safe doesn't require calling me "weight police". I simply asked what his payload is. His subsequent answer showed he relied on brochures for his information; specifically, the hitch weight which will be in the 1200-1250 lb range based on the gross weight of his trailer. The 780 lb hitch weight the OP posted is from some brochure and not real world. As far as your buddy's truck, ain't got anything to do with the OP's truck as each payload will be different based on many factors. You expect the OP did research? Probably but only from sales brochures or Chevy's website.
Old 11-16-2020, 08:50 AM   #8
travelin texans

Unfortunately like SO many 1st time rvers the salesmen sold you more rv than you have truck for.
Will it move it down the road? YES!
Can be hauled safely within the limits of your truck? NO!
Is there anything you can do to help your truck? NOPE!
Has this ever happened before? Yep, to most 1st time rv buyers listening to a salesman that has 1 objective, sell you a rv.
The max tow weight of your truck & the dry weight of your rv mean ABSOLUTELY nothing to you. You WILL exceed the payload of your truck long before you'd be able to carry & tow that much rv.
I'd bet your truck payload is 1500lbs+/- (found on the yellow/white sticker on the drivers door post), the tongue weight alone of that rv will be at or over 1200lbs (13% of the GVWR of the rv) + 100-125lbs for the WDH that will be required + all the people, pets, tools & anything you've loaded into that truck will be subtracted from that payload number.
Hopefully this doesn't discourage you from rv ownership as it's a great lifestyle, but he aware that more truck will be in your near future to tow it safely with you & your family onboard.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 08:53 AM   #9
travelin texans

Quote:
Here we go...

That's been discussed numerous times on this & other forums that most 250/2500s have very little more payload than 2/2 tons.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 08:53 AM   #10
Yareelohim

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Caring if someone is safe doesn't require calling me "weight police". I simply asked what his payload is. His subsequent answer showed he relied on brochures for his information; specifically, the hitch weight which will be in the 1200-1250 lb range based on the gross weight of his trailer. The 780 lb hitch weight the OP posted is from some brochure and not real world. As far as your buddy's truck, ain't got anything to do with the OP's truck as each payload will be different based on many factors. You expect the OP did research? Probably but only from sales brochures or Chevy's website.
I thought you were asking for the payload of the truck.

I’m actually using the weight placard/tire pressure placard that is placed on the trailer itself.

If hitch weight is roughly 10% of the trailer weight then I’m at just under 780 lbs dry weight (I include more for batteries and full propane). If it’s 10% of max trailer weight then I am at 960 lbs on the tongue with a 1,200 lbs rated tongue.

I’ll never be at max in this trailer either. But if I were I assume I still have have 2,400 lbs to go before the truck is maxed out but that’s 2,400 lbs beyond what the trailer could handle.

Did I get that wrong?
Old 11-16-2020, 08:53 AM   #11
LewisB

Quote:
Here we go...

“There you go… (Please)”

Sorry if our desire to help somebody new offends you in some way. But what better time for the OP to learn about and consider payload issues before he even pulls a new trailer off the lot. We are certainly not trying to badmouth anyone and the OP’s second post indicates he doesn’t mind some assistance.
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 10:29 AM   #12
Yareelohim

All right guys here are the numbers.

It sounds like a majority of you are pretty adamant I may be overweight and a dealer oversold me.

Helpful me figure out why my numbers aren't computing with your concern (which I do appreciate your concern, so thank you for looking out). What am I not seeing that you are?

I pulled up a Tow Calculator (don't know how accurate they are), and I put all the info straight out of my GMC manual in my glove box. I have weighed the truck and its pretty much right on with the numbers GMC listed.

For the calculator I put the MAXIMUM possible scenario I could possibly think of which included full tanks, pets, kids, wife, generator, bikes, solar, batteries, propane, etc. If I loaded the trailer with all the crap I could fit in it and filled up all the tanks I would be under 1000 lbs of gear and at 500lbs for tanks. I couldn't get anymore stuff in there. Keep in mind I will be towing and carrying much less than this.

Someone mentioned they thought my truck payload would be 1,500 lbs. Its actually 2,030 lbs if that helps.

Truck:
7,100 lbs = GVWR
5,040 lbs = Curb Weight

2,030 lbs = Payload

17,500 lbs = GCWR

12,000 lbs = Towing Capacity (in this figure GM includes 300lbs for Driver & Passenger and 70 lbs for aftermarket hitch)

1,200 lbs = Tongue Weight

For the calculations I put:

Truck
500 lbs of people
400 lbs of cargo weight in the truck bed

Trailer
1000 lbs of gear
500 lbs for full 60gal tank

Again this is maximum scenario I could think of, I can't figure out how to get any more weight in there. That calculators say I am good on my worse case scenario.

Outcome:
8,670 lbs total trailer weight

7,023 lbs current vehicle weight

14,610 lbs combined vehicle weight

1,083 lbs tongue weight

Update: Just figure out how to post a picture
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-11-16 at 10.24.11 AM.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	30784  
Old 11-16-2020, 10:32 AM   #13
Mike&Sandy

The sooner the better to find out if your safe or not. Yea, it sounds like a right of passage on this site, and likely all other RV forums with first time buyers, but better now than when it's too late considering that the rig is in the driveway.

A little different, but my last toy was a 30' offshore boat with twins. Knowing I needed a bigger truck to haul it, I waited till I got it, and ended up pulling it about 10 miles with my 1/4 ton suburban. I was lucky to get it home. However it worked out in my favor, easier to talk the wife into a diesel.

Welcome OP to the forum, hopefully you'll have awesome memories with the new trailer.
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 diesel 3.42
San Antonio, TX
Mike&Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 11:05 AM   #14
Yareelohim

Quote:
Here we go...

Thanks. You are correct.

I would love a diesel but I live in California and the Diesel emissions are out of control and getting worse.

My 6.2L 1500 actually has more horse power and more torque than the base model 2500 6.0 and an almost equal tow capacity. Which is why I bought this truck when towing my boats.

1500 6.2 = 420hp, 460 ft lbs torque (12k tow capacity)

2500 6.0 = 360hp, 380 ft lbs torque (13K tow capacity)

Now if we are talking diesel, its got me smoked obviously. One day I may go diesel but not until I move out of California.

2500 6.6 = 397hp, 765 ft lbs of torque (13k tow capacity)

Hoping the others will chime in on my numbers above and show me what I am missing or not seeing. Every possible situation I put in shows I can easily tow this trailer, especially considering I will never have it or the truck maxed out. At most Im going to be pulling around 8k with less than a 1k in the truck. Well under my payload capacities for both. At least as far I figured before I went looking for trailers.

I even calculated with all my tanks full (76gal black, 38gal gray, 60gal fresh) and threw another 700 lbs of gear in the trailer and I am just about to max out but good. I don't know anyone who would drive like that though.
Old 11-16-2020, 12:21 PM   #15
ewbldavis

You guys sort of miss the point. Seems an immediate attack on the guy without a simple "congrats - welcome to the forum". No - we start of with "33ft trailer and half-ton?!"

OP - the sticker wiredgeorge posted a photo of should be on drivers door jamb - that value is what you want to look at for truck payload. Basically you, family, gear in truck, and hitch weight need to be less than this. Weight-wise, I'd bet a dollar your fine. You just may not like the posh bouncy ride your 1500 has when towing - it's why I went 2500 when I had a TT.

As far as "buddy's truck" comment - I bet his payload on a 6.2L LTZ and the payload on a 6.2L Denali are very close.

Eddy

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L
2020 Cougar 32BHS
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 12:38 PM   #16
Yareelohim

Quote:
You guys sort of miss the point. Seems an immediate attack on the guy without a simple "congrats - welcome to the forum". No - we start of with "33ft trailer and half-ton?!"

OP - the sticker wiredgeorge posted a photo of should be on drivers door jamb - that value is what you want to look at for truck payload. Basically you, family, gear in truck, and hitch weight need to be less than this. Weight-wise, I'd bet a dollar your fine. You just may not like the posh bouncy ride your 1500 has when towing - it's why I went 2500 when I had a TT.

As far as "buddy's truck" comment - I bet his payload on a 6.2L LTZ and the payload on a 6.2L Denali are very close.

Thanks brother. Yeah that sticker on the door jam is 2,030 lbs which is what I put into the calculator as well.

I am really curious how this will ride with the MagnaRide suspension. My friend has a 2500 Ram with the same trailer. I'll drive both and let you know. I don't personally love the MagnaRide since I do a lot of off road hunting and they designed it for on road towing really. Way too stiff for my off road liking.

Yeah if your buddy has the 6.2L I bet its exactly the same as my Denali, aside from maybe the suspension. How does he like towing with his? Do you know what suspension he has?
Old 11-16-2020, 01:09 PM   #17
flybouy
Site Team

Welcome to the forum (does that make you happy ewbldavis? ).

OK sarcasm out of the way.... here's the thing with 1/2 ton trucks towing long trailers, it's not all about the weight and making the numbers work. While you figure and fudge the numbers to make it work what that calculatore doesn't and can't figure in is how it will affect the tow vehicle. At 34' long and 11' high you have a huge sail behind that light truck. It will, not may, push that truck around during crosswinds, large vehicles passing, or during any fast input of the steering suck as during an emergency maneuver.

How much this will effect your truck is impossible for anyone to say. What most of us that have been in the same situation CAN say is how a long trailer pulled by their light truck handled. I've BTDT as most of the "weight police" have. It can be nerve wracking to drive and down right dangerous given the right conditions. We all just want to make folks aware of how towing campers with undersized vehichles can have negative results.

With that said, I'd urge you to visit the scale on your first outing all loaded up and see where your at. Drive carefully and stay safe.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 01:30 PM   #18
wiredgeorge

OP, The hitch weight will generally be 13 percent of the trailer's gross weight. Your gross weight is 9580 lbs. Your hitch weight will be in the neighborhood of 1240 lbs. Add 500 lbs of people, 400 lbs of gear and a 125 lb hitch. This comes to almost 2300 lbs. Your payload is 2030. As has pointed out, the 1/2 ton is very much less than ideal for dragging a 34' bumper pull and you will be overweight to boot. You can trust your family's safety to a calculator if you like. As I mentioned, a 1/2 ton is not very suitable for any trailer over 30' and will tow poorly for reasons others have laid out. Do with this info as you like but I have been there and done that.
Old 11-16-2020, 01:34 PM   #19
Yareelohim

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Welcome to the forum (does that make you happy ewbldavis? ).

OK sarcasm out of the way.... here's the thing with 1/2 ton trucks towing long trailers, it's not all about the weight and making the numbers work. While you figure and fudge the numbers to make it work what that calculatore doesn't and can't figure in is how it will affect the tow vehicle. At 34' long and 11' high you have a huge sail behind that light truck. It will, not may, push that truck around during crosswinds, large vehicles passing, or during any fast input of the steering suck as during an emergency maneuver.

How much this will effect your truck is impossible for anyone to say. What most of us that have been in the same situation CAN say is how a long trailer pulled by their light truck handled. I've BTDT as most of the "weight police" have. It can be nerve wracking to drive and down right dangerous given the right conditions. We all just want to make folks aware of how towing campers with undersized vehichles can have negative results.

With that said, I'd urge you to visit the scale on your first outing all loaded up and see where your at. Drive carefully and stay safe.

Thanks for the reply. That makes sense.

Do you think the stabilitrak, hill decent, and grade braking features will make any difference?

I don’t know but I can tell you it’s impossible to fish tail or spin out this truck. I have tried hard, even in snow and ice but he truck is so darn smart it stabilizes me perfect. I don’t like that personally but it’s a great safety feature. Not sure how it translates to the trailer.
Old 11-16-2020, 01:53 PM   #20
dutchmensport

Well, a lot of discussion here, so I'll just say:

Congrats on your new purchase! Sorry to hear about the electrical problem, but they will get it figured out. And then, life will be good!