Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2020, 03:57 PM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

If you have 6 lug cast aluminum rims, they will almost assuredly have this information on the back of the spokes. The same 15" wheel is used to drill 5 holes and is rated at 2150@50PSI and the same casting drilled with 6 lugs is rated at 2830@80PSI.

Verify your wheels, but this is what you should find on the back of the spokes.

Something else to consider: Depending on how confident you are with the previous maintenance being performed, you might want to inspect and repack the bearings and check the brake shoe linings/drum surface and the magnets.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	COUGAR WHEEL.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	188.1 KB
ID:	24939  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 04:02 PM   #22
sourdough
Site Team

^^^^Verify but I would bet you have 80psi tires which will make that upgrade to LRE tires easy. When my Trailer King blew out (causing 7k damage) I upgraded to Carlisle Radial Trail HD and could not be happier. Yes, they are from China but all China tires are not the same and it definitely does not come from the same plant as Trailer King. I upgraded to LRE as well from the same size tire you have.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 09:49 PM   #23
dietzldub

We have a 2018 Cougar fifth wheel, and replaced the Trailer Kings with Good Year Endurance right after we bought it. The sidewalk on the Trailer Kings were very flimsy, the Endurance tires were 8-10 times firmer then the Trailer Kings. We have about 6,0000 miles on the Endurance tires, we are very happy with them. Also have TPMS as insurance.
Old 01-26-2020, 08:14 AM   #24
Keystoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
If you have 6 lug cast aluminum rims, they will almost assuredly have this information on the back of the spokes. The same 15" wheel is used to drill 5 holes and is rated at 2150@50PSI and the same casting drilled with 6 lugs is rated at 2830@80PSI.

Verify your wheels, but this is what you should find on the back of the spokes.

Something else to consider: Depending on how confident you are with the previous maintenance being performed, you might want to inspect and repack the bearings and check the brake shoe linings/drum surface and the magnets.
Yes indeed, the PO said they did not do much while they had it, so all is suspect. Good thing I got it way below low retail...I will need to go over it completely and fix anything I find wrong. I might even swap the solar stuff from my TT over to this unit and drop the price I'm asking for the TT.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:29 AM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keystoned View Post
Yes indeed, the PO said they did not do much while they had it, so all is suspect. Good thing I got it way below low retail...I will need to go over it completely and fix anything I find wrong. I might even swap the solar stuff from my TT over to this unit and drop the price I'm asking for the TT.
Based on the "rapid improvement in technology" in the solar power products, you might want to consider the "new, improved stuff" and not spend all that time and effort on what's on your current trailer. I'm not suggesting that your "current stuff isn't quality" but it might cost more to move it, reduce the price on the old trailer and still not have an "up to date solar system"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-26-2020, 11:20 AM   #26
Keystoned

More good points to consider...

So I pulled a wheel and yes the max load is 2830 lbs.
Any idea what the oem lube is, or does it matter?
Any how much would be required?

On the solar stuff, it is 4 year old renogy parts. What has changed lately?
Old 01-26-2020, 12:58 PM   #27
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keystoned View Post
More good points to consider...

So I pulled a wheel and yes the max load is 2830 lbs.
Any idea what the oem lube is, or does it matter?
Any how much would be required?

On the solar stuff, it is 4 year old renogy parts. What has changed lately?
As for the bolded question on how much grease to use. DON'T USE THE EZ LUBE SYSTEM !!!!! That system is a "weakest link" that almost always allows grease to push past the rear grease seal and contaminate your brake shoes/drum, resulting in a complete rebuild/replacement of all the brake components, usually including the magnets. In your system, if the rear seals are the original ones, then you're really asking for problems. So, to answer the question, "how much lube"... the answer is, as much as it takes to repack (by hand) the bearings, after you clean all the old grease off them, inspect them for wear and determine they are reusable. That's usually a 14 ounce tube of quality grease for 4 axles.

Second: I'm not "up to date on solar systems" so I can't offer any advice other than it's been my experience that if electronics are more than a couple of years old, they're probably "outdated and ready for replacement if they fail"... So, to me, why go through the work of moving them from one location to another, to find they're outdated and you can't get replacement parts? My suggestion was: If it's still "up to date", then for sure, salvage what you can. But, rather than just move them, wouldn't it be wise to make sure that system is still "up to date" before spending the time and effort to move it?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-26-2020, 01:04 PM   #28
RET.LEO

What about switching to new regular pick up LT tires? I've read they're not near as prone to blow outs?
RET.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 01:12 PM   #29
Logan X

Quote:
Originally Posted by RET.LEO View Post
What about switching to new regular pick up LT tires? I've read they're not near as prone to blow outs?
I’ll be interested to hear what the others have to say on this. In my opinion, good ST tires are better for a trailer. From what I understand, ST tires are much stiffer and carry the load of the trailer better. They can be stiffer because they are on axles that don’t turn. A steering axle requires the tire to flex more.

I am by no means an expert, like I said, that is my understanding of it.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 01:30 PM   #30
Keystoned

I was not aware that the ez lube was so prone to failure. It worked as advertised the one time I did it on my old TT, but it was pretty new back then.
Given the question mark on my new rig, it is probably a good idea to do it the old way with a complete inspection.

Solar system - I'm open to new stuff if there have been big improvements in the last 4 years. Any solar people here? I'm not talking about high end stuff to run fridges, just enough to run all the 12v stuff including lots of music listening and maybe a small 12v TV for news and weather. My current setup is 200W via 2 panels and 2 AGM batts with a 400W controller just like this;
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

LT tires - when I checked into this for my old TT, I could not find any my size that held the same load as the STs, so I went with Goodyears
Old 01-27-2020, 07:27 AM   #31
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RET.LEO View Post
This thread has taken a very dark turn.

That said let's stick to the OP's original questions and if he wants to ask about ST vs. LT tires it can be posted in a new thread.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 08:42 AM   #32
Twisties

So who pays for the damage to the trailer if the oem tires fail and damage it?
Twisties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 08:44 AM   #33
flybouy
Site Team

Typically your insurance company.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 08:22 AM   #34
Rdynbama

Has anyone else tried using LT tires ? I replaced the TK on my previous 5r with Firestone Transforce HT LRE pumped up to the max pressure. I only made one trip on them before buying a new Raptor TH with Salium tires . Thinking of swapping the tires before selling the old 5r . The Firestone tires are one inch taller but fit nicely in the wheel well opening. The guy at my local tire store said these would outlast any trailer tires. What say y’all?

2011 F450 Lariat
Anderson Ultimate Hitch
Rdynbama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 09:55 AM   #35
JDDilly

We have a small RV Repair shop close by and he recommends putting LT tires on your trailer.
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 10:23 AM   #36
flybouy
Site Team

There are many discussions on this and other forums RE: ST VS LT tire usage on trailers. This is a common question also addressed on several commercial sites like etrailer. Seems like the topic interest grew when some campers began showing up with LT tires from the factory.

I've always understood that you should stick with what was on the mfg Tire and Loading chart affixed to the camper as a "minimum requirement" and you can go up in capacity but not reduce capacity in any way. So for me personally I stayed with ST and went up from D rating to E rating because the rims are rated for the higher air pressure.

I'm not towing a heavy 5th wheel and I'm no tire expert so I'm just relating my choice and rational. I'm sure you will get more "expert" opinions following.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 11:02 AM   #37
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Pick a brand in no particular order: Goodyear Endurance, Carlisle Radial Trail HD (new design), or maybe Maxxis as the last choice of the 3.
WalMart usually can't be beat on the Carlisle, free shipping to your store and free mounting.
Thanks for the list. My Cougar came with TKs, which I am watching very carefully, in the knowledge that in the near future I will be shopping for something "better," so it's good to know what is generally considered better.
Old 01-29-2020, 12:12 PM   #38
Keystoned

I'm not sure I would trust Walmart to do my tires unless I just had steel rims. They told me their equipment damages anything not steel, so ask first.
Old 01-29-2020, 12:55 PM   #39
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdynbama View Post
Has anyone else tried using LT tires ? I replaced the TK on my previous 5r with Firestone Transforce HT LRE pumped up to the max pressure. I only made one trip on them before buying a new Raptor TH with Salium tires . Thinking of swapping the tires before selling the old 5r . The Firestone tires are one inch taller but fit nicely in the wheel well opening. The guy at my local tire store said these would outlast any trailer tires. What say y’all?
I’m providing this information for you because I’m pretty sure you’re not aware of it.

The following statements are not my opinion, They are tire industry standards.

“Never choose a replacement tire of a smaller tire size with less load carrying capacity than the OE tire size at the specified vehicle placard pressure. Replacement tires must provide a load capacity equal to or greater than the OE tires provide.”
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 01:00 PM   #40
Rdynbama

These tires are larger than the TKs and LRE
I don’t remember the LR on the TK but these tires don’t have the bagged sidewalls when aired up like the TK

2011 F450 Lariat
Anderson Ultimate Hitch
Rdynbama is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires