Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2016, 06:10 PM   #1
pakuma

110v outlets dead

I have a 2013 279RKSWE Cougar. The 3 outlets in the front of the trailer are dead. The GFI is not tripped. I have removed the three dead outlets and I have continuity on the neutral. The power side does not have any continuity to anything. When I remove the GFI in the Bathroom there is a Black and White wire being fed by the outlet. They have continuity to nothing. I have spoken to my Dealer and he is as baffled as I am. I have tried calling Keystone and end up speaking with operators who have no idea, except to tell me to go to the Dealer. I was a Certified Dodge Motor Home Tech, I am an ASE certified General so i have some knowledge of what I am doing. The problem is no one seems to know where that circuit goes. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
pakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 06:13 PM   #2
GaryWT

Wiring aside, is the GFI good? If it has gone bad then nothing will work, tripped or not. Also have you checked your fuses and breakers, could be a bad breaker.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 06:28 PM   #3
dcg9381

Lacking diagrams (pretty much all 5th wheels):
You've got continuity on neutral. I assume you mean all the way back to the breaker. You didn't mention ground, but I'd expect the same thing.

So the hot is lacking continuity and you can't seem to find the "next" part of the circuit.

I don't have an answer. I would point you to a line toner - that's what I'd use in a problem like this. In an RV, you'll likely be able to trace wire runs likely through the walls, which will make things easier.

They're typically used for network/telco, but I use them for 12v and 110V power...

Someone will step in and give the warning: Don't do this why powered up.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 02:43 AM   #4
cjelliott81

Are you plugged into 50 amp? I've had it before where one leg of the 50 amp connection is dead and as such some of the outlets / appliances won't run, but others will.
cjelliott81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 08:48 AM   #5
Bob Landry

It's unlikely the front outlets are on a GFCI. I would check for output of 115V on all of the circuit breakers in the power panel, and not just the on the breaker marked outlets. I have found wiring for outlets tied to other breakers. The breaker for my converter went out and the TV outlet went dead. There is no rhyme or reason to the way Keystone wires their trailers.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:47 AM   #6
SAABDOCTOR

Hi as bob stated start at the panel. All breakers have power? If not the check for power at the pole. I have seen a lot of campground breakers go bad. After that the ringer is the best way to go(power off) as far as wiring diagrams... That is only known by god and the person that worked on the line that day and neither one is going to talk. Bee paitent as logic isn't gonna help. Been down that road before. Best of luck.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 05:20 PM   #7
pakuma

Found the cause. The GFI receptacle had been installed backwards and was no good. I found it by removing the receptacle and then retesting connections.
I also had numerous conversations with Keystone, they were verything to "we don't authorize self repair" to let's talk and see if we can help figure the problem out. They did say that some form of wiring schematic is available for 2016 and newer models.
Thanks for all of the good advice.
pakuma is offline   Reply With Quote