Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2022, 05:40 PM   #1
turbo

Exclamation Fridge Door Panel - Warranty Denied

HI all, we have a 2019 Cougar 315RLS purchased new from Camping In Style near Oshawa, Ontario. Within the first 30 days we noticed the panel on the outside of the door popping out of the frame (it was curved and bowed out) and didnt seem to stay cold. Within this first 30 days, dealer put a screw in the front door to hold the panel in place, and said this should also fix the cooling issue. Since then we have complained twice about the panel curving again and popping out, only be pushed back in at the dealer and supposedly fixed. This August it happened again, back to the dealer and I asked for a new quarter door (its the model with 4 doors and only one has the issue). Dealer said they have to get authn first from Keystone - will take at least a week. As the dealer is over 2 hours away I asked to have it shipped as its easy to put the door on. Well after several follow-ups, finally got advised that Keystone has denied the claim for a new door even though we have this problem documented since new. Despite having also purchased an extended warranty at new from the dealer, no support. So I want to escalate to Keystone about this inferior product. Anyone have advice on how to do this? Also I cant understand why this relatively small part wouldnt be replaced given the history, as the damage to their brand with me, the family and my large group of fellow campers is huge. Thanks in advance for any guidance.
turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 06:10 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

What make and model of fridge? If it’s a Dometic, they have a 2 year warranty and you don’t need keystone to act as the “middle man”.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 06:24 PM   #3
turbo

yes its a Dometic, will have to determine the model however its 3 years old (bought in 2019) so if it has a 2 yr warranty, its unfortunately expired but thx for the reply
Old 11-01-2022, 06:43 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

If you have documentation from the beginning, I would still contact Dometic. I’ve seen them “good will” when close to the warranty period.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 03:20 PM   #5
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo View Post
HI all, we have a 2019 Cougar 315RLS purchased new from Camping In Style near Oshawa, Ontario. Within the first 30 days we noticed the panel on the outside of the door popping out of the frame (it was curved and bowed out) and didnt seem to stay cold. Within this first 30 days, dealer put a screw in the front door to hold the panel in place, and said this should also fix the cooling issue. Since then we have complained twice about the panel curving again and popping out, only be pushed back in at the dealer and supposedly fixed. This August it happened again, back to the dealer and I asked for a new quarter door (its the model with 4 doors and only one has the issue). Dealer said they have to get authn first from Keystone - will take at least a week. As the dealer is over 2 hours away I asked to have it shipped as its easy to put the door on. Well after several follow-ups, finally got advised that Keystone has denied the claim for a new door even though we have this problem documented since new. Despite having also purchased an extended warranty at new from the dealer, no support. So I want to escalate to Keystone about this inferior product. Anyone have advice on how to do this? Also I cant understand why this relatively small part wouldnt be replaced given the history, as the damage to their brand with me, the family and my large group of fellow campers is huge. Thanks in advance for any guidance.

i have a 315rls ……is the problem with the lower right hand door? just wondering if anyone has been trying to squeeze the door open past the kitchen island when the slides are closed …it’s tempting to try but will definitely cause issues
Old 11-03-2022, 03:59 PM   #6
turbo

No, we havent tried to force the door open when the slide is in. The problem door is the left fridge door, but again its been popping since new. Keystone got smarter and in the new ones the counter has an indentation so it can open when the slide is in (finally).
Old 11-03-2022, 05:12 PM   #7
jasin1

well i hope you get it sorted out.
Old 11-13-2022, 02:22 PM   #8
jamtracy

Quote:
Your dealer sucks. They should be able to get this taken care of for you.
Contact keystone directly and see what you can do.
jamtracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 02:28 PM   #9
WDPatterson

Quote:
In a situation like this, I don't expect the people you bought it from are going to support you. Contact Keystone directly, and see if you can get them to help.
WDPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 03:38 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

It's unfortunate but you've waited past the 12mo. Keystone warranty where they administer the warranties on your appliances and I suspect your warranty from the fridge manufacturer.

Your dealer should have taken care of this the first go round....and you should have insisted on the 2nd trip. Not trying to say told you so or anything like that but that is what has to be done with RV dealers. This situation falls directly on your dealer. Example; my res fridge had a door problem when I came to look it over on PDI - they went to another new unit and pulled the door from it to fix mine and let the other one wait for a warranty replacement. I did tell them as soon as I saw it that the issue was a no go for me.

The "damage" is to your dealer. Keystone has/had nothing to do with the manufacture of the fridge or what the dealer may or may not have done to it while in their possession or transit - I've had numerous things damaged while at the dealer. The responsibility rests with the dealer to provide Keystone the proper information to relay to the fridge manufacturer to get warranty authorization. They are also responsible for relaying enough info, in a convincing fashion, to get Keystone to authorize a "good faith" repair even though either the unit is out of warranty or the manufacturer refuses warranty repair. No matter how you cut it, in any way, your dealer failed. On top of that an owner has to be involved, totally and frequently, to get things resolved within the warranty periods - no one has the interests of an owner at the top of their list except.....the owner.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 03:40 PM   #11
WDPatterson

That's a really good assessment, right there.

Tags
fridge, warranty