Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2022, 09:29 AM   #41
HardieHouse Solar

NORCOLD 2118SS resolved

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
I'm going to post up a couple of different topics here, so bear with me. After extensive mods and supposed workarounds on the Norcold 2118, I've finally accepted failure for ever getting it to work correctly. The straw that broke the proverbial Camel's back, was our one month trip out west last September and the "pins and needles" feeling of always wondering when the fridge would just give it up and get to the point that we would throw food out from being too warm in the fridge for too long. It never did happen, but the temperature fluctuations that we experienced over that 30 day trip finally drove me over the edge.....mid to upper 40s in the fresh food compartment during the day, and maybe ......maybe dropping down into the mid 30's overnight, but not every time. Freezer spending most of the time in the high teens to mid 20's was not acceptable either. So over the winter months, my plan was to upgrade the battery to a DIY LiFePO, which I did, and take the trailer to JC Refrigeration for the 12VDC Twin Compressor install. The install took them right at 2 hours, and within 4 hours of the unit being up and running, the fresh food compartment was at 31° and the freezer at -5°. Here is a picture or two of the work done....

Twin compressors....one compressor, the larger one of the two keeps the freezer cold. The smaller compressor does the fresh food area. Pictured to the left of the larger compressor is the newly installed Digital Temperature Controller for the freezer section. So now, you can adjust the freezer and the fresh food compartment separately for whatever temperatures that you need or want....
Thanks for the great photos, I didn't take any during the job.
JC refrigeration also ships the unit Freight by FedEx.
It was $300 extra and we did the work ourselves inside of 5 hours.
By morning temps were actually too cold.
We added their external/internal temp sensors and their Thermister replacement which is adjustable for fine tuning the reefer section.
ALL in ALL it is the ONLY way for the NORCOLD 2118 (Never-Cold) to work properly and without heavy modifications to the coach/rig.

thanks folks
HardieHouse Solar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 09:39 AM   #42
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardieHouse Solar View Post
Thanks for the great photos, I didn't take any during the job.
JC refrigeration also ships the unit Freight by FedEx.
It was $300 extra and we did the work ourselves inside of 5 hours.
By morning temps were actually too cold.
We added their external/internal temp sensors and their Thermister replacement which is adjustable for fine tuning the reefer section.
ALL in ALL it is the ONLY way for the NORCOLD 2118 (Never-Cold) to work properly and without heavy modifications to the coach/rig.

thanks folks
I initially had thoughts of buying it and having it shipped and doing the work myself.....but at the age of 67 years old, and not really having anyone to help me with the physical removal of the fridge out of the hole and back into the hole after I had modded it, I decided to drive up to Shipshewana and let them install it for $400. I ran my own 8ga two conductor separate 12VDC circuit from the battery and breaker back to and in the compartment area before driving up, and that saved me some money. I'm 100% happy with the fridge now though, and we enjoyed spending a few days in "Shippy" as they call it up there. The guys from JC were very professional and the install went very smoothly......just under 2 hours from start to finish for them.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, raptor