Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2020, 10:05 AM   #1
04ctd

Dometic Dual Door fridge soaking wet inside - 364BHL

bought last Wednesday

model Rm1350SLMX

double door/side by side

set to AUTO now, so on AC, was ran on LP for few days.

on 50Amp Service at a RV park since Friday.

temp ranges from 37 to 42 (wife says food spoils at 42)
was on level 3, then level 2.
wife just set it to level 1.

sun is rising on dinette side of the RV, then hits the Fridge side of the RV after noon, but it's only 2pm, and its cool outside.

should it be varying 5 degrees & soaking everything?
04ctd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 01:22 PM   #2
Big 417

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04ctd View Post
bought last Wednesday

model Rm1350SLMX

double door/side by side

set to AUTO now, so on AC, was ran on LP for few days.

on 50Amp Service at a RV park since Friday.

temp ranges from 37 to 42 (wife says food spoils at 42)
was on level 3, then level 2.
wife just set it to level 1.

sun is rising on dinette side of the RV, then hits the Fridge side of the RV after noon, but it's only 2pm, and its cool outside.

should it be varying 5 degrees & soaking everything?

I might be mistaken, but I think the higher the number the colder the fridge. Also make sure the doors and seals are tight and sealing.
Big 417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 03:51 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Greg is correct. Level 1 is the warmest temperature setting and Level 5 is the coldest. In warm weather, most people find that 3 or 4 is adequate and 5 will freeze the lettuce in the crispers.

I'd suggest you check your doors to make sure they are sealing properly, that the center "flap" is sliding under the other door the way it should and that the drain pans are attached properly to the drain hose (in the back of the refrigerator) and that the drain pans are in the correct position. If they are pulled forward slightly, the water that collects on the evaporator coils can "drip down the back wall, behind the drain pan.

Remember, there is a "automatic defrost cycle" that initially starts 60 hours after the refrigerator is turned on and repeats every 48 hours. That cycle will slightly warm the evaporator coils, causing them to "drip into the drain pans". If you have high humidity, open the refrigerator repeatedly, the humid air will "condense on the evaporator coils, freeze and then every 2 days, drip down the back wall (if the drain pan is not positioned correctly....

My guess is that what you did was open the refrigerator during a defrost cycle, notice the moisture, and then you repeatedly "turned the thermostat to a warmer setting (level 3 then level 2 then level 1) causing the problem to get worse as the refrigerator warmed up.

Start over, set it to 4, check that the drain pans are correctly positioned and let it do its thing... The recommendation is to start the refrigerator (initially turn it on "between 4 and 10 PM" that way the defrost cycle will occur in the early morning, before anyone is awake... If you turn it on at, say 6AM, then the defrost cycle will occur "right at supper preparation time" which is exactly when you do not want the refrigerator getting warm to melt ice.....

It's all in the owner's manual, you can download it here if you don't have a copy handy: https://manuals.heartlandowners.org/...structions.pdf

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 06:22 PM   #4
04ctd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Greg is correct. Level 1 is the warmest temperature setting and Level 5 is the coldest. In warm weather, most people find that 3 or 4 is adequate and 5 will freeze the lettuce in the crispers.

That cycle will slightly warm the evaporator coils, causing them to "drip into the drain pans". If you have high humidity, open the refrigerator repeatedly, the humid air will "condense on the evaporator coils, freeze and then every 2 days, drip down the back wall (if the drain pan is not positioned correctly....

My guess is that what you did was open the refrigerator during a defrost cycle, notice the moisture, and then you repeatedly "turned the thermostat to a warmer setting (level 3 then level 2 then level 1) causing the problem to get worse as the refrigerator warmed up.
thanks! the wife googled some stuff, and one site said 1 was coldest, another said 5 was coldest.

the label in the actual freezer does NOT say which number is coldest!!

we had a full RV (5 ppl and a puppy) and just plugged it in, and let it go, and I expect we did mess up the defrost setting.

of course, the drain pan had fell out at some point, and the wife had laid it off to the side.
so I put the drain pan in, set it to Level 5, and it is down to 40 degrees, but the wife opens the fridge every 15 minutes, give or take.

thanks guys!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0997.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	255.6 KB
ID:	27637   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0998.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	27638   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1004.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	360.9 KB
ID:	27639   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0999.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	27640  
Old 05-27-2020, 06:27 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Let her know that for every two minutes the doors are open it can take up to 4 hours to recover. You might consider battery operated fans in the fridge to help circulate the cold air. I have 1 and when placed in the condensation tray really works.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 06:30 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04ctd View Post
thanks! the wife googled some stuff, and one site said 1 was coldest, another said 5 was coldest.

the label in the actual freezer does NOT say which number is coldest!!

we had a full RV (5 ppl and a puppy) and just plugged it in, and let it go, and I expect we did mess up the defrost setting.

of course, the drain pan had fell out at some point, and the wife had laid it off to the side.
so I put the drain pan in, set it to Level 5, and it is down to 40 degrees, but the wife opens the fridge every 15 minutes, give or take.

thanks guys!!

If wife opens the fridge every 15 minutes you need to resign yourself to warm, soggy, ruined food because the fridge cannot/will not keep up.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 06:31 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Hopefully, you're on the road to a working refrigerator now....

Those drip pans are a VITAL part of keeping the inside of the refrigerator dry. Without them, every time the refrigerator goes into defrost cycle (every 48 hours) it will dump a cup or so of water directly into the refrigerator instead of into the drip pan and out the hose onto the ground.

Absorption refrigerators are not like the ones at home. The ONLY cooling comes from those little fins in the top of the refrigerator compartment. Open the door, all the cold air drops out the bottom (have your wife stand in front of it barefoot, explain to her what just happened with the cold air as she feels it on her feet) About the best way I can explain how to use one is to plan what you want, open the door with a "mission" to get those items and close the door... NEVER OPEN THE DOOR AND GRAZE THE CONTENTS !!!! doing that will result in spoiled food if it's a hot muggy week.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 07:17 PM   #8
04ctd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
If wife opens the fridge every 15 minutes you need to resign yourself to warm, soggy, ruined food because the fridge cannot/will not keep up.
fat ppl need a sammich pretty often.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
NEVER OPEN THE DOOR AND GRAZE THE CONTENTS !!!! doing that will result in spoiled food if it's a hot muggy week.
thanks for the explanation, i read it to her, and she LOL'ed

did you mean GAZE or GRAZE? I am the one who graze's...
matter of fact, there's some pepperoni in there now.....
Old 05-27-2020, 07:40 PM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

Take a pic with her phone of the interior contents. If she wants to "take inventory" have her take a picture every time she makes a" samitch". You could then study the picture, plan your moves like a football play. You know, "sweetie you go wide left for the ham and I'll go low and grab lettuce and take out the mustard on the way out". Teamwork!
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic, fridge