Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2016, 06:25 PM   #1
LarrySharon

Location: Rainier, Oregon but my heart is still in Arizona and my wife's heart is in Oregon.
Can't Belive This

I bought a 2017 Hideout from a local dealer (for which over all I have been happy with) here is the issue. I went in on Monday morning to order a cabinet door. I am going to put the door on the dinette under the seat storage so access will be easy. There is one on one side but not the other side. So I am going to knock out the end piece so as to have a opening without having to take the seat apart. Now today is Wednesday and they still have not ordered it. The guy is trying to figure out the door part number. Now I am worried about those parts people. At least I am not in a hurry.

Larry/Sharon Ellison
U.S. Navy Retired
Retired from Armstrong World Industries
Retired Period, But Not From Life
2007 Toyota Tundra
2017 Keystone Hideout 22KBSWE
LarrySharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:30 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

I'm sorry, I have to laugh. As a tech that takes pictures, measurements, and even draws pictures, dealing with parts people can be frustrating at best.

Patience my friend, let's hope it's right the first time.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 04:42 PM   #3
WaltBennett

I've found that Keystone (and ALL the others) use standard things whenever they can. If you take the one door's measurements and a photo of what it looks like, you'll probably be able to find an exact match at a kitchen cabinet place. Might have to go to more than one, but you will be able to find it.

The other interesting thing is that I reworked our last TT that had a tube TV hole and wanted to add a flat screen. I had some scrap oak boards that I jointed together and then routed a matching bed around so it would match the cabinetry in the TT. I didn't stain this board, just put a tung oil finish on it, and VOILA! Complete match in color and texture. It's all not rocket science.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 02:24 AM   #4
rbev2308

As a 30 yr retired Navy guy who specialized in parts and logistics, I have no patience but have learned a very valuable lesson in the rv world. My parents inadvertently backed into my basement door under the pin box and put a hole in it. Keystone asked me to take a picture cause they could not figure out the actual door size or the hardware to it much to my amazement since they built it, two local dealers had two different part numbers so all in all I had 3 separate numbers, 3 separate prices as Keystone explained not all things are equal on one model year or one product line as they truly use different distributors and things can be slightly off. The door sizes believe it or not where all different measurements by an inch or so...What sealed the deal was the $300 shipping and freight charge so it was going to be over $600 no matter how I sliced it. I ended up taking the door to a local auto body shop and having them fix it and repaint and glaze all for under $450 and it least I knew it was all gonna fit!!!! I have found the things made my Dometic, Norcold, Lippert, etc are easy fixes. If it comes to body of the rv or installed cabinetry, it truly does get interesting...good luck!!!
US Navy Retired Master Chief Petty Officer
Gryphon the 240lb American Mastiff
rbev2308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 03:30 AM   #5
14george

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbev2308 View Post
As a 30 yr retired Navy guy who specialized in parts and logistics, I have no patience but have learned a very valuable lesson in the rv world. My parents inadvertently backed into my basement door under the pin box and put a hole in it. Keystone asked me to take a picture cause they could not figure out the actual door size or the hardware to it much to my amazement since they built it, two local dealers had two different part numbers so all in all I had 3 separate numbers, 3 separate prices as Keystone explained not all things are equal on one model year or one product line as they truly use different distributors and things can be slightly off. The door sizes believe it or not where all different measurements by an inch or so...What sealed the deal was the $300 shipping and freight charge so it was going to be over $600 no matter how I sliced it. I ended up taking the door to a local auto body shop and having them fix it and repaint and glaze all for under $450 and it least I knew it was all gonna fit!!!! I have found the things made my Dometic, Norcold, Lippert, etc are easy fixes. If it comes to body of the rv or installed cabinetry, it truly does get is interesting...good luck!!!
Thanks for your service
Old 10-07-2016, 12:42 PM   #6
LarrySharon

Location: Rainier, Oregon but my heart is still in Arizona and my wife's heart is in Oregon.
Re: Can't Belive This

I finally got the parts I needed last week. Took for ever. The funny thing is my hinges and door handles didn't come with screws. Isn't that crazy. I do not understand why they don't come with the parts. How do these companies think we are going to attach the hinges and stuff. I did not get a good answer from my RV dealer why they did not order them since they knew this.

Larry/Sharon Ellison
U.S. Navy Retired
Retired from Armstrong World Industries
Retired Period, But Not From Life
2007 Toyota Tundra
2017 Keystone Hideout 22KBSWE
LarrySharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 02:15 PM   #7
Desert185

...and of course if you attempt to be proactive and bring this to their attention prior to the fact, you are often characterized as being condescending and/or rude.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 02:35 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarrySharon View Post
I finally got the parts I needed last week. Took for ever. The funny thing is my hinges and door handles didn't come with screws. Isn't that crazy. I do not understand why they don't come with the parts. How do these companies think we are going to attach the hinges and stuff. I did not get a good answer from my RV dealer why they did not order them since they knew this.
And I laugh again , been there done that way too many times. Even asked specifically for the screws because originals were damaged...if your dealer didn't specifically ask for them, you won't get them.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote