Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2011, 04:19 AM   #1
Smitty

Another Slideout question

I have a second slideout problem. 1st. One with bedroom slide got resolved with wire connections. Now Iam having problems with the two main opposing slides. This problem has been intermittment so far but has happened at least half a dozen times in my past few trips. When I want to put out the slides, I just get a ratchet like continuous click. When I push the button for (IN) I get a loud clunk. Happened with both opposing slides when I got home yesterday. I added a second battery plus put in a large new one last week from walmart. The one I took out still was good but understood voltage was important so replaced anyway. Friend has exact same fifth wheel and has experienced the same thing. I finally toggle the switches back & forth and got them out. Sometimes one goes and the other doesn't. The bedroom one works everytime. Going to Dealer today (2 hr drive) just to talk leaving rv home. Any ideas?
Old 07-18-2011, 08:12 AM   #2
Jim W

I have only had this issue once and it just happened last week. I called my dealer and he informed me that the slide retracted too far in. The overload protection on the slide mechanisms was preventing the slide from extending.
The instructions he provided me did fix the issue.

On the slide that is hanging up and not extending, there is a threaded rod and a bell shape housing with a nut on the rod. This is against the frame when the slide is retracted. He told me to mark the location of the face of the nut on the rod. Loosen the nut (1-1/8 hex) and move it away from the bell housing. Mark location of the face of bell housing on rod, (you will need a 14" pipe wrench to loosen the bell housing) loosen bell housing. Extend slide now and move bell housing in 1/4" (inch) from bell housing mark on rod. Retighten nut making sure it is also behind the first mark on rod. Now work slide in and out to insure proper operation.
Hope this helps?
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:40 AM   #3
vwalla

Thanks Jim for the information. This just happendd to me on my rear bedroom slideout this weekend. I jogged the toggles back and forth and got it out, but will adjust the bell nuts on the thd rod instead of taking it to the dealer. Thanks!
Old 07-18-2011, 03:19 PM   #4
Smitty

What does (1-1/8 hex) mean and is the face of the bell housing the open or closed end? Thanks
Old 07-19-2011, 08:01 AM   #5
Jim W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
What does (1-1/8 hex) mean and is the face of the bell housing the open or closed end? Thanks
That is the size of the hex nut (across the flats) and the open end wrench size you will need, to loosen and tighten the nut.
The bell housing has a closed end by the locking nut (1-1/8 hex). The open end lays flat against the frame. On my camper this is plated with a zinc dichromate plating (yellow color).
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:25 PM   #6
Smitty

Thanks Jim. Thought the hex was the number of turns not the size. I'll look the slide over and see if I think I can try this fix. I think it's much better to learn our own fixes if we can since we are mobile and not always by our dealerships. Thanks
Old 07-21-2011, 05:32 PM   #7
Smitty

Just finished doing the adjustments on both slides. Was very easy to do. So far the main slide is still having the same problem of just clicking once it is in and I try extending it. I have to toggle the switch back and forth to get it back out. I tried adjusting first 1/4 inch then another 1/4 and then again another 1/4. At the third adjustment it would not seal on the bottom and still ratchets or should I say clicks. I put it back to the first 1/4 inch adjustment. The kitchen slide did work but will see in the morning if it's still ok. It's in the 90's outside and I had to call it quits. Think next step will be the dredded dealership. I did go there Monday, they said my extended warranty will cover it after $100. Deductible. They said they make no appointments and you drop the trailer off they will get to it in it's turn. If no one is around or after hours leave a note with it. Hmmmm that's all I can say about that. Anyway, thanks for the info and am glad it works for some of you having the same problem.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:08 PM   #8
Festus2
Site Team

I hope the company who has your extended warranty says the same thing as the dealer --"It will be covered".. I would check the fine print in the extended warranty to make sure that it will be. It is my understanding that the company who you purchased the extended warranty from decides what will and wont be covered and whether or not they will pay for it (after your $100 deductible) --- not the dealership. Good luck in getting this resolved to your satisfaction.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:26 AM   #9
Smitty

Yes hopefully it will. The service dept and my salesman (neither had part in warranty sale) told me I bought an excellent plan. It's called ezride and I bought the highest plan they have. Again time will tell. Haven't had much to say about their service dept but again I have not actually had any work done yet have only talked to the service rep they assign you to and we've clashed already on the leaks I repaired myself. I just want my slides to work and want to continue to go camping. Hey one really good thing my sales rep told me Monday was that the value of our 327's went up $3,000 which he said follows us on the trade in side.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:43 AM   #10
Smitty

Just got out my extended warrant info and it's not Ezride but called ExtraRide. Says all components of slides are covered and shows on my contract sheet that my deductible is $50.00 I bought platinum plan and paid $1,240.00 for it. Paper says a lot of good stuff, we'll see what happens.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:35 AM   #11
Smitty

Slide Update

I never did bring my camper into the dealership to have them look at the slides, been to busy using it. Anyway, both slides have been working fine since my initial adjustment. After toggling the switches for about two different times when I put the slides out they both started working fine and so far have not the the problem since. My wife says she prayed on them. The Good Book says your faith can move a mountain, so why not a slide, hmmm, I like that. So far so good.