Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2013, 11:38 AM   #1
Steve S

water heater, electric?

Hi I was wondering if my water heater is not only gas but if it's also electric?
2010 tt, I still haven't hooked up water yet and was just wondering.
Steve S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:55 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Steve -
Yes, it functions on both propane/gas and 110V AC. You may have a small rocker switch (for electrical operation) located on the HW tank which you can access by opening the outside access panel. Look at the bottom left-hand corner of the tank and you might find this small switch.

For 110v, press the switch to the ON position. Before you press the switch, make sure that you have water in the tank. If there isn't any, then you will burn out the heating element.

Note that you can heat the water using both propane and electricity at the same time. Using both cuts down on the wait time for the water to become hot.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:34 PM   #3
UsTwo

Thumbs up

I have the 2013 Cougar x-lite TT.. I also have both, propane and elec. but, have only ran on Propane,,I was told by a camper the first time we had it out, that if i used the electric side, i needed to turn the switch in the tank area off after each time we had it out, just curious here..did not find the answer in the book.... BTW i have no trouble using propane only.. thks...

Craig
Kathie
2013 Keystone Cougar
X-Lite 31 RKS
UsTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:48 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsTwo View Post
I have the 2013 Cougar x-lite TT.. I also have both, propane and elec. but, have only ran on Propane,,I was told by a camper the first time we had it out, that if i used the electric side, i needed to turn the switch in the tank area off after each time we had it out, just curious here..did not find the answer in the book.... BTW i have no trouble using propane only.. thks...
There is no requirement to turn it off after each time you're out. You do need to protect the element from operating when the tank is empty (it will burn out by overheating if not submerged in water) and you will probably not want to heat water if you're not going to use it. So, if you're plugged into the house or garage while you're parked during the week and not using your hot water, it would be "thrifty" to turn it off to save electricity. If, however, you're connected to a water source or if you leave your water pump turned on, there is no damage to be done by leaving the water heater electric element turned on. Additionally, if you are not plugged into shore power (110 VAC) the element is effectively powered down and isn't being used, so it is essentially turned off at the power cord to the RV. Don't forget, when you do plug into shore power, if the HWH electric switch is turned on, you will immediately power up the element so make sure you have water in the HWH before you plug into shore power.

Many people do turn the switch off when not in use for any period of time, but not because "You have to" but rather as insurance against the HWH draining down and damaging the element or to save electricity when hot water is not needed.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 02:22 PM   #5
Steve S

Thanks for the informative answers guys
The things I learn by asking as I thought my heater was only propane.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:51 AM   #6
UsTwo

I will double that thanks... Sometimes when we own something for a few years we tend to think we know all about it.. NOT...I have owned Jayco'S, Coachman's and now a Keystone and each one was different.. So thanks so much.. You just confirmed what i thought. To me it is always good to get a second opinion...

Craig
Kathie
2013 Keystone Cougar
X-Lite 31 RKS
UsTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:57 PM   #7
Steve S

I ended up finding a switch, I posted a pic on my thread about no manual.
Seems that the dealer should have taken a bit more time on the walk through and explained things in more detail
Old 11-08-2013, 03:09 PM   #8
instymp

I like to run on electric & only turn on propane when both of us want to shower around the same time.
instymp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:57 PM   #9
Steve S

So does propane heat faster then electric?
Old 11-09-2013, 12:37 PM   #10
fla-gypsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by instymp View Post
I like to run on electric & only turn on propane when both of us want to shower around the same time.
This is my strategy as well. It works well in that mode.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:38 PM   #11
fla-gypsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
So does propane heat faster then electric?
Yes it will recover faster on LP but will be faster yet on both
Old 11-10-2013, 08:24 PM   #12
theeyres

When ever I am hooked up to power in a cg I figure I might as well use their electricity instead of my propane. That is what FHU is all about. So I use the electricity as much as possible. Most tt have a rocker switch in or near the control panel inside the tt so you don't have to mess with the switch outside. As long as you don't drain the hot water tank you will be just fine. When I do drain the tank I turn both switches off just to be safe.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote