Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2023, 03:39 PM   #1
Hikerman

Wheel Bearings

I purchased my Passport 199MLWE trailer in early winter of 2021. There’s approximately 5,700 miles on it in 3 years, which I’m guessing might be low compared to most RVers.
My question is should I replace the wheel bearings before we start traveling next year? I’m planning a lengthy trip to British Columbia and Alberta, Canada away from major cities in June and don’t want any wheel problems.
Hikerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 03:56 PM   #2
NH_Bulldog

You don’t need to replace them. Ours is a 2019 with about 60,000 miles on it.

What you do need to do is pull each wheel, clean, inspect and repack the bearings, then inspect the brakes, reassemble, adjust everything and then enjoy your travels. It should be done once per year. If you are not able/comfortable doing it yourself, get a shop to do it.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 04:14 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Not a lot of miles but if your are planning a big, long trip and have never looked at those bearings/brakes/drums it would be remiss to not do so.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 04:51 PM   #4
Hikerman

Thanks. Will have them looked at. Any kind of auto repair is way out of my expertise.
Hikerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 05:34 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerman View Post
Thanks. Will have them looked at. Any kind of auto repair is way out of my expertise.
If you're unsure or unskilled, then yes, have someone who knows what they're doing accomplish the inspection. I'd guess that if the bearings were properly lubed when you bought the trailer (remember Dexter, Lippert or another axle manufacturer "built the assembly") All Keystone did was install it under the trailer frame.

If the bearings and brakes have not been inspected, you owe it to yourself to have the work done. If the bearings are still good, keep using them, if they show a problem on inspection, then replace them. Chances are they will be OK, but make sure the shop installs NEW, UNUSED double lip seals. The seals should not be reused, but replaced at every hub/bearing inspection.

Cost, depending on where you are, could range from $150 to $300. It might be a bit cheaper depending on the season. If you can beat the rush, early in the spring before everyone is screaming to get their trailer ready for camping season, you may find a shop that can schedule you "in and out" quicker and maybe at a discount.

Don't count on finding someone to work on wheel bearings the day you call. Get an appointment early, maybe even now, for next spring.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 06:03 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerman View Post

In my little berg I use my local tire shop (independent owner). The do tires, wheels, bearings, shocks etc. - all kinds of stuff like that. We live in a farming/ranching/oil area so they are very familiar with doing bearings and we have a bearing company that sells bearings right across the street. You might have a facility like that somewhere near you. I would make sure that bearing maintenance is something they do regularly. I used to do mine but now when I get down to do a wheel....I'm there until I figure a way to get up so farm it out. Give wherever you choose a call and see how they work you in. Anytime between now and your departure will be fine so make it work for you.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 07:50 PM   #7
gearhead

Find a shop, or maybe a Mobil tech, that has experience with bearing inspection. Try to weed out the BS’ers and dumb arses. Ask them to describe what they are looking for.
Basically color and a wear pattern. You want no color, no blue, no purple. The roller and race might show a light wear track. Very light.
No way I would trust a franchised tire shop.
Look for a family owned and family managed business.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote