Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 01-14-2024, 07:02 AM   #1
GlasNav

Winter Camping Trip Canceled Brrr

We have been winter camping twice a winter for the last couple of years and enjoy the serenity and wildlife that takes over in the nearby State Parks during offseason. However, we had to cancel this week's trip as the temperatures in NE Kansas are down to -11f to -21f at night with daytime highs of -6f. These temps are considerably below the All Seasons rating of our Cougar!
Normally when we go, the overnight temps get down into the teens and the unit handles it, the furnace and auxiliary heat obviously struggle to maintain these temps, but it works. This arctic outbreak is more than anything we want to attempt.
I'm aware that others make it work throughout the winter up in the Dakotas. However, they are stationary and have skirting, hay bales, and added insulation panels. This isn't possible for a truly mobile unit. Well maybe if you had one of those custom New Horizons 5ers built in Junction City, KS.
Anyway, ended up catching up on some Honey Dos around the house and will probably rewire the last of the fluorescents in the basement to LED.
Stay warm!

2021 Cougar 25RDS
2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn, Mega Cab, DRW,
Cummins 6.7 HO, Aisin 6 Spd HD, 4x4
GlasNav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 08:15 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I figure you made a wise decision. Fun is fun but when an elective trip for fun turns into misery and/or broken stuff it's not worth it.

I don't mind cold but the RV does (). Since I'm not in FL we are stuck here for the winter. Like you it's time for honey dos. Cleaned out part of the pantry yesterday - threw out two 33 gal. trash sacks of expired sauces, gravies, spices, vinegar etc. Found a case (24 pkgs) of Lowry's Cajun
Bacon Curls (microwaveable pork skins) that expired in 2014 stuck in the back. Heated a bag up and they don't taste bad but sure look funny so I kept them - DW thinks I'm insane (I'm just a sucker for pork skins). Cleaned some windows before the stuff hit yesterday evening. The list is endless and it's always better to be safe than sorry. Have fun.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 09:22 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I figure you made a wise decision. Fun is fun but when an elective trip for fun turns into misery and/or broken stuff it's not worth it.

I don't mind cold but the RV does (). Since I'm not in FL we are stuck here for the winter. Like you it's time for honey dos. Cleaned out part of the pantry yesterday - threw out two 33 gal. trash sacks of expired sauces, gravies, spices, vinegar etc. Found a case (24 pkgs) of Lowry's Cajun
Bacon Curls (microwaveable pork skins) that expired in 2014 stuck in the back. Heated a bag up and they don't taste bad but sure look funny so I kept them - DW thinks I'm insane (I'm just a sucker for pork skins). Cleaned some windows before the stuff hit yesterday evening. The list is endless and it's always better to be safe than sorry. Have fun.
Expired food hasn't killed me yet, I believe what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.....Im the strongest person I know

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 10:13 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Expired food hasn't killed me yet, I believe what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.....Im the strongest person I know

LOL. When DD got married many years ago the guy she married (since divorced) was anal about expire dates. He would go through our pantry and sit stuff out that was near or just past the best by dates. He would tell me how dangerous it was (he never cooked a day in his life other than the microwave) and I would just look at him and put it back. After about the 3rd visit and him doing that I told him to stay out of the kitchen and my cabinets. I have had some cans of tomato based products go bad after a few years but they're easy to tell. Of course I have a full case of MREs that are probably over 25 years old sitting in the bed of the truck. I was going to throw them out but just can't bring myself to do it. I opened one and ate it....seemed pretty good to me.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 10:22 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

All this reminds me of the story about a Twinkie that was found 10 years later in the back of a cabinet. Story goes that it looked and tasted just like it was bought a week ago. Best by dates, IMO, mean just that. There may be some color fade, some "peak taste" reduction, some cloudiness in clear liquid (think pickle juice) but overall, still safe to use or consume if you're willing to accept the slight deterioration that might not even be seen or tasted.

In medicines, there's also an expiration date. Nearly all of the "expired in the USA medications are donated to missions or charitable organizations and used on those "missionary medical projects" in less fortunate contries"... I've used 10 year old suture and 3 year old lidocane to close cuts on both myself and my family. I'd NEVER do that outside the "legal protection umbrella". But then, I'd also not drive 100 miles to the nearest emergency room to have someone put one stitch on DW's finger from a fish hook either.... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 03:49 PM   #6
GlasNav

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Found a case (24 pkgs) of Lowry's Cajun
Bacon Curls (microwaveable pork skins) that expired in 2014 stuck in the back. Heated a bag up and they don't taste bad but sure look funny so I kept them.
Love pork rinds, especially the cajun seasoned ones.

A few years ago one of my grandsons at age 4 discovered pork skins at a restaurant in Nawlins that served them fresh to the table when you were seated. My son has an iron gut and thought it was cool, his mother didn't realize that he had scarfed the entire serving and was on a refill before they stopped him. Needless to say the tummy ache the following morning was colossal....

2021 Cougar 25RDS
Old 01-14-2024, 04:00 PM   #7
LadyCPA

Yea, I think skipping the trip was a great idea. For many of us, temperatures that cold just are not that much fun to walk around and view the wildlife and scenery.
Columbia SC
LadyCPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 08:04 AM   #8
dutchmensport

My sister tried to give me some hot sauce that she had tucked away in her cabinet. She was so happy to give it to me and thought she was doing me a favor. I took it.

Once home, my son (38 years old), looked at the bottle and pointed out it had an expiration date of 1977. That unopened bottle of hot sauce was 46 years old.

It was thrown out immediately, never even bothered opening it. I called my sister and told her it was delicious! She was so proud of herself giving it to me. I didn't want to bust her bubble.
Old 01-15-2024, 10:04 AM   #9
GlasNav

So Hot Sauce doesn't mature and get better with age like Fine Wine? Is that what you're telling us???? Betcha it tastes like vinegar.

2021 Cougar 25RDS
Old 01-15-2024, 01:58 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlasNav View Post
So Hot Sauce doesn't mature and get better with age like Fine Wine? Is that what you're telling us???? Betcha it tastes like vinegar.
HOT spicy vinegar, aged and mellowed to a "refined but appetizing flavor, best appreciated by a "hot sauce aficionado" .....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-15-2024, 03:27 PM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
HOT spicy vinegar, aged and mellowed to a "refined but appetizing flavor, best appreciated by a "hot sauce aficionado" .....
Guaranteed to create a "gastric experience" that will be remembered forever!
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 05:40 PM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Guaranteed to create a "gastric experience" that will be remembered forever!
That's why toilet seats lift up..... So you can get closer to that "cool water" ...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-15-2024, 06:11 PM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
That's why toilet seats lift up..... So you can get closer to that "cool water" ...
That, or connect a bidet up to a fire hose LOL
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 06:22 PM   #14
GlasNav

The Cajuns say to simply eat ice cream after spicy foods to put the fire out.

Now in reality, due to side effects from Chemo, I did install a bidet on the camper toilet, not the plug in type. This one requires both hot and cold water supplies, a couple of pex fittings and away we go, clean butt!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6712.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	172.8 KB
ID:	46018  

2021 Cougar 25RDS
Old 01-19-2024, 03:47 AM   #15
Bill-2020

Quote:

Now in reality, due to side effects from Chemo, I did install a bidet on the camper toilet, not the plug in type. This one requires both hot and cold water supplies, a couple of pex fittings and away we go, clean butt!
Got one of those in the house commode.
Old 01-21-2024, 03:09 PM   #16
gearhead

Quote:

C’mon ice cream!
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 03:19 PM   #17
gearhead

Cajun hot sauce is good for you. Most of it has so much vinegar it’ll last a century.
My preference is less vinegar. “just hit me with those aged peppers”.
In order of preference:
Original Louisiana Hot Sauce. “Just one drop does it”.
Crystal hot sauce.
Tobasco.
The Tobasco plant is a decent travel stop.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, winter