Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-15-2024, 08:39 PM   #1
markdol1

state inspection

Hi folks .I bought a new cougar last year 2023 and i see a pa.state vehicle state inspection sticker on the front frame near the giggy box and am wondering if i have to take this to a auto service station or a camper dealer every year like a car or truck. Does anyone here in pa know what they do and how much it costs?
markdol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 05:35 AM   #2
Martian

Being that it can only be a safety inspection I would think either a car or truck inspection station would be where you need to go. I would go with a truck spot as they would tend to have more room.

2018 Ram 1500 crew cab, 2020 Cougar 22RBS
Just the two of us on the roam with our two Jacks.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 06:38 AM   #3
notanlines

From T P Trailers and Trucks:

"If a trailer both has brakes and a GVWR over 3,000 lbs., it is legally required to have a yearly inspection at an official state inspection station."
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 07:29 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdol1 View Post
Hi folks .I bought a new cougar last year 2023 and i see a pa.state vehicle state inspection sticker on the front frame near the giggy box and am wondering if i have to take this to a auto service station or a camper dealer every year like a car or truck. Does anyone here in pa know what they do and how much it costs?

I don't know PA laws but sure someone is familiar with them. I am however familiar with trying to inspect a larger RV at inspection stations geared almost exclusively for autos/trucks/SUVs. I had to take my trailer back to the dealer (60 miles) for many years because my town had no place big enough to park the trailer so someone could inspect it. A new place opened I can get into with some "work arounds" so I've had it done there for the last 2. Thankfully next year the inspections go away.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 05:07 AM   #5
RJS3791RD

I live in PA. This an annual state inspection similar to a vehicle inspection. It can only be done at a facility that has a license for trailer inspections. Not all vehicle dealers are licensed to do trailer inspections. Fundamentally it is a lights, brakes, hitch and frame inspection. Costs about $80
RJS3791RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 06:39 AM   #6
jxnbbl

This was an interesting post in perspective of NH. I've never had one trailer inspected (boat, utility, snowmobile, etc), except for a second hand purchase where I had to have someone verify a serial number on a trailer I bought used. When I bought the trailer, I swear I got an inspection sticker with the paperwork and told don't worry about inspections just one when it is new. Not saying this is a good thing as I'm sure that some people don't do the needed maintenance....

(New Hampshire)

266:1-b Inspection of Trailers, Exemptions. –
I. Notwithstanding any law or rule to the contrary, trailers of 10,000 pounds or less gross vehicle weight rating not used in interstate commerce shall be exempt from periodic vehicle inspection requirements, but shall be subject as other vehicles are to periodic roadside inspection by law enforcement officers to determine that they have the proper required and fully functional safety equipment.
II. The director may authorize properly qualified dealers holding utility dealer registrations to inspect trailers of more than 10,000 pounds gross vehicle weight, to determine whether they are fit to be driven, and to issue inspection stickers, under rules adopted for this purpose pursuant to RSA 541-A. This section shall not apply to full trailers as defined in RSA 259:37-a or semi-trailers as defined in RSA 259:98, and shall not prohibit other official inspection stations from inspecting trailers.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 08:51 AM   #7
Gkri

Quote:
PA resident here. If talking about a travel trailer, the trailer inspection in PA is specific to trailers and the sticker we get is just for a travel trailer. We take ours to the dealer each year.
2022 Sierra 2500 HD, 6.6L Gasser
Gkri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 12:02 PM   #8
NH_Bulldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxnbbl View Post
This was an interesting post in perspective of NH. I've never had one trailer inspected (boat, utility, snowmobile, etc), except for a second hand purchase where I had to have someone verify a serial number on a trailer I bought used. When I bought the trailer, I swear I got an inspection sticker with the paperwork and told don't worry about inspections just one when it is new. Not saying this is a good thing as I'm sure that some people don't do the needed maintenance....

(New Hampshire)

266:1-b Inspection of Trailers, Exemptions. –
I. Notwithstanding any law or rule to the contrary, trailers of 10,000 pounds or less gross vehicle weight rating not used in interstate commerce shall be exempt from periodic vehicle inspection requirements, but shall be subject as other vehicles are to periodic roadside inspection by law enforcement officers to determine that they have the proper required and fully functional safety equipment.
II. The director may authorize properly qualified dealers holding utility dealer registrations to inspect trailers of more than 10,000 pounds gross vehicle weight, to determine whether they are fit to be driven, and to issue inspection stickers, under rules adopted for this purpose pursuant to RSA 541-A. This section shall not apply to full trailers as defined in RSA 259:37-a or semi-trailers as defined in RSA 259:98, and shall not prohibit other official inspection stations from inspecting trailers.
I have never had a trailer inspected here in NH either. I did have to in VT for even a small utility trailer until they changed the threshold to trailers under 1,500 lbs. not needing an inspection. My new camper will have a GVWR of 11,000 lbs. so looks like I might have to deal with yearly inspections again. Interestingly enough, a different part of the NH statute does say "registered weight" of 10,001 and greater. So maybe there is a loophole if I register my trailer for 10,000 lbs. like I registered my truck for 10,000 lbs?
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 08:34 AM   #9
Mikelff

Quote:
Here in Texas you can self inspect. Fill out an inspection form and take it to the DMV to get a new sticker. This is specific to trailers. See if your state does anything similar. All Texas inspection requirements are going away soon.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 03:02 PM   #10
gearhead

My local inspection station closed last summer. Owner said the $7 fee didn’t pay the light bill.
Good to hear Texas is ending it.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 03:05 PM   #11
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJS3791RD View Post
I live in PA. This an annual state inspection similar to a vehicle inspection. It can only be done at a facility that has a license for trailer inspections. Not all vehicle dealers are licensed to do trailer inspections. Fundamentally it is a lights, brakes, hitch and frame inspection. Costs about $80
$80? Holy Chit.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 06:19 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
My local inspection station closed last summer. Owner said the $7 fee didn’t pay the light bill.
Good to hear Texas is ending it.
Beginning Jan 1 2025 we don't have to do it any longer. The $7 fee will be tacked onto the registration fee LOL. I drug out my truck registration so it would expire in 25 along with the RV so none of my vehicles will have to be inspected again!! Wish that could have happened years ago; back then I registered my Jeep and Ramcharger 4x4s in NM (no smog or inspection) - it was a pain.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 06:37 PM   #13
RJS3791RD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
$80? Holy Chit.
Yeah, PA has a state inspection for all motorized vehicles. Emissions inspection for cars and trucks in most of the counties and state inspection for trailers with brakes. BUT there is no personal tax on vehicles, including RVs and Boats like some states have. State government is going to get their dollars one way or another. It all comes down to what trans action and if it will be a few or a tax
RJS3791RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 05:46 AM   #14
jxnbbl

Lucky this is not NH. We may not have to inspect the trailer....but the registration costs are very high as it is based on the MSRP of the trailer (and somewhat weight). So it is easily over a $1000 total to register a 30 foot trailer in NH.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 06:50 AM   #15
Ramtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
I have never had a trailer inspected here in NH either. I did have to in VT for even a small utility trailer until they changed the threshold to trailers under 1,500 lbs. not needing an inspection. My new camper will have a GVWR of 11,000 lbs. so looks like I might have to deal with yearly inspections again. Interestingly enough, a different part of the NH statute does say "registered weight" of 10,001 and greater. So maybe there is a loophole if I register my trailer for 10,000 lbs. like I registered my truck for 10,000 lbs?
If you get stopped in NH and checked over closely by one of the troopers that deals with truck enforcement, they will look to see if your registration matches your door sticker. The weight put on by the manufacturer will win out, not the registration. I have dealt with them in my former career with my business and we had troubles with that issue.
Old 01-23-2024, 10:31 AM   #16
Gkri

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJS3791RD View Post
Yeah, PA has a state inspection for all motorized vehicles. Emissions inspection for cars and trucks in most of the counties and state inspection for trailers with brakes. BUT there is no personal tax on vehicles, including RVs and Boats like some states have. State government is going to get their dollars one way or another. It all comes down to what trans action and if it will be a few or a tax
There may be very few ppl who agree with vehicle inspections, but driving in PA for 52+ years, I can say that I support the idea. There is some comfort in knowing the car/truck behind me has good tires and brakes. Most drivers would not voluntarily remove their wheels and inspect their brakes, wheel bearings, ball joints, etc. This community is an exception, we are mostly very handy around our TV's and trailers. I did PA State Inspections as a part time job during college and can safely say most other people have no clue that their brakes are down to the rivets, their exhaust leaks, their tires are worn, etc. JMHO
2022 Sierra 2500 HD, 6.6L Gasser
Gkri is offline   Reply With Quote