Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2024, 10:43 AM   #1
hillSide

Locked out last night

Our mechanical door lock would not accept the key past halfway, when inside via the second door, the deadbolt was jammed. I disassembled the lock and was able to remove the inside plate and lever, easily manually move the deadbolt after removing the link arm. Of course the lever and a cam fell on the floor with the arm.

Able to push the door open and install a new lock in the crisp 27 ° air. This happened once before, but not the reluctant deadbolt, just the key could not go in past halfway.

The key wafers move easily with a paperclip, but nothing visible in the cylinder blocking it.

Any preventive maintenance or best brand of lock to know about? I use graphite powder in the lock cylinders, dry Teflon spray on the bolt and associated parts.
hillSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 08:12 PM   #2
Don77

Dry graphite powder is abrasive and can cause the internals of the lock to ware.
I use a light spray oil only, and have had no problems with door locks for over 40 years.
Just my 2c.

Don
Old 01-04-2024, 07:17 AM   #3
Kirk's Keystone Outback.

I agree with Don.
Although graphite may have some lubricating properties, its more intended to prevent wear, where friction occurs. Light spray oil once a year should be suffice, unless you're in freezing conditions like you are, then more as needed.
Kirk's Keystone Outback. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 07:32 AM   #4
CBears

I read another post about the lock jamming with a deadbolt issue and that person didn't have a second door. That got me to thinking that I don't have a second door either. What do you do if you just can't get in?

TT: 2024 Cougar Half-Ton 25MLE
TV: 2022 F-250 Crew Cab XLT 7.3 Godzilla
Old TT: 2021 Jayco 264BH
Old TV: 2012 F-150 Crew Cab XLT EcoBoost
CBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 08:37 AM   #5
Don77

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBears View Post
I read another post about the lock jamming with a deadbolt issue and that person didn't have a second door. That got me to thinking that I don't have a second door either. What do you do if you just can't get in?
I had a key break off in the lock on my last TT took trailer to a lock smith and it took him 15 minutes to remove it and make a new key.

Call a lock smith.

Don
Old 01-04-2024, 11:50 AM   #6
martybmw

Years ago got locked out of my Class A with the generator running and the dog inside. The way they had the lock on the inside was you could hit the red latch going out and not know it until its too late. Had to decide which window to break so went witht he smallest which was the window in the door and then had to cut the screen. Wasn't a big job to replace the window just a ton of screws and of course the outrageous &800.00 for the window. I taped the red latch so it could never happen again and just used the deadbolt. To this day I am still paranoid about locking myself out so have hidden keys outside my Alpine 3700 FL.
martybmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 11:58 AM   #7
CBears

Quote:
Originally Posted by martybmw View Post
Years ago got locked out of my Class A with the generator running and the dog inside. The way they had the lock on the inside was you could hit the red latch going out and not know it until its too late. Had to decide which window to break so went witht he smallest which was the window in the door and then had to cut the screen. Wasn't a big job to replace the window just a ton of screws and of course the outrageous &800.00 for the window. I taped the red latch so it could never happen again and just used the deadbolt. To this day I am still paranoid about locking myself out so have hidden keys outside my Alpine 3700 FL.
Similar issue. The post I read said their dead bolt jammed, I think the linkage broke. The locksmith had to pry the door open screwing up lots of things in the process. Had they been able to get inside they could have removed the mechanism and opened the door.

My Jayco had a place in the storage where you could crawl in and up through the bed. I was thinking about cutting an access panel from my pass through storage so I could get in through the bed in my 25mle cougar. I was just wondering if anyone had different ideas.

TT: 2024 Cougar Half-Ton 25MLE
TV: 2022 F-250 Crew Cab XLT 7.3 Godzilla
Old TT: 2021 Jayco 264BH
Old TV: 2012 F-150 Crew Cab XLT EcoBoost
Old 01-04-2024, 08:16 PM   #8
gearhead

There I was, Knoxville Iowa, in the Bigfoot at the Knoxville Nationals sprint car races. Races over, back to the camper at 11pm. Key won’t turn. No, I ain’t gonna force it and break it. Slept in the truck. Next morning I called a rv dealer (Countryside RV?). They played with it for 30 minutes and opened it. “now don’t lock it until you replace it”. Locked my pistol in the truck when I left for the grandstands.
Got home and found a replacement. Amazon. Easy replacement. I rarely lock it now.
The only failure on a 2008 RV.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 04:00 PM   #9
Bandito

I would highly recommend that you use silicone spray for your locks. The silicone spray lubricates well and does not attract dirt like other oils do. I typically give each of the locks a spurt every spring and they remain easy to use through the fall.
Old 01-05-2024, 08:27 PM   #10
CBears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandito View Post
I would highly recommend that you use silicone spray for your locks. The silicone spray lubricates well and does not attract dirt like other oils do. I typically give each of the locks a spurt every spring and they remain easy to use through the fall.
I use boshield t9 in my wood shop. I’m going to give it a try this spring.
Old 01-07-2024, 04:54 PM   #11
RacerX

Had this happen years ago with our prior Springdale bunkhouse. Ended up climbing through the under bunkhouse storage from the outside, lifted the bunk plywood and mattress and crawled my scraped body inside to remove the lock from the inside. Not an easy path for my 6’2” frame.

Wasn’t fun but got the job done. Today I would probably call a locksmith or drill out the lock myself as suggested.

I would suggest that the first time the key seems rough in a lock, that you resolve the issue before locking it. Any hint that the key is going to stick means it probably will when you don’t want it to.
Old 01-11-2024, 08:12 AM   #12
oldnjrver

Had the same thing happen to me on our TT this fall.. Darn deadbolt jammed. Luckily I was able to climb in a window to get to the lock. It was jammed so tightly that I had to disassemble the lock to open the door. I looked over the whole lock assy and couldn't find any reason for the deadbolt to jam???

I had lubricated the lock assy with white lithium grease spray, but couldn't see how that would cause a jam like that.
Replaced the lock for about $40 and all is well again.. Luckily we had an unlocked window for me to climb into, or I'd have had to replace a broken window as well..

Safe travels and all the best.
oldnjrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 08:28 AM   #13
Webster'sCougar

Email the latch / lock maker.

When I did for our 2007 276rls, they said there was a recall, and mailed new lock cylinders, keys and tools, free. Replacing was simple.
Webster'sCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 04:39 PM   #14
Bman

Locks

Have been locked out before, luckily I carry a cordless drill and drill bits in my tool box. Drilled the center of the lock out, the tumblers drop out and door will open, then replaced the latch. Cheaper than a window.
Bman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 12:17 AM   #15
MrKABC

RVLock v4 FTW! No more keys. The ones on my Springdale are crap.

Next will be to change out all of storage doors as well, there are some nice barrel key ones on Amazon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20231022_151258.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	248.8 KB
ID:	46026   Click image for larger version

Name:	20231022_160033.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	46027  
Mods: 800w Solar, Victron Multiplus 3000 inverter, Victron 100/50 MPPT, Battle Born GC2 LiPo (x5), FOS07TASF Furrion backup camera, RVLock v4, Mopeka PRO (x2) LPG tank sensors, TireMinder i10 TPMS, Micro Air 364 soft start capacitor, 40" TV, Garnet See Level 709P3W1003 tank monitor system, RVLovent 14" Roof Fan.
Coming attractions: 9880 Dirt Devil central vacuum, Nautilus RV shower door system.
MrKABC is offline   Reply With Quote