Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2021, 06:08 PM   #1
Jaybyrd13

2021 Cougar 368MBI Pinbox Conversion to Gooseneck hitch

I have recently ordered a 2021 Cougar 368 MBI. I am wanting to change the Road Armor pin box to either a Reese goosebox or Gen-Y goosebox. Would either of these hitches fit the standard bracket that comes on the 5th wheel?

Does anyone know what the pinbox number for the 368MBI as I don't have easy access to find the number?
The Reese goosebox fits a Lippert 1621, 1621HD, 0719 and Fabex PB-600 Series and Lippert #1716, 1116 and 0115 with a spacer kit.
The Gen-Y fits the Lippert 1621, 1621HD, 1716, 1116 (last 2 fit with shim)

Opinions on Reese goosebox vs Gen-Y goosebox? I am leaning towards the Gen-Y so I don't have to deal with the air bags but am open to both.

Thanks for the help,

JR
Jaybyrd13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 06:27 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

If only choosing between those two choices, I’ll take the Reese goosebox every time. I have installed too many to count and every single customer loves it.

I know that the goosebox won’t void the Lippert frame warranty, I don’t know about the Gen Y. The airbag is not an issue that I have seen.

Have you considered the Anderson Ultimate?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 08:41 PM   #3
Whitewolf

I agree with Chuckster about the Reese. Had one since we bought our 5r. Wouldn't have anything else.

'14 Montana High Country 305RL - Reese Goose Box - Morryde HD shackles & wet bolts - JoyRider shocks - JT StrongArms - Torklift steps - Correct Track - Progressive EMS-HW50C - Clear Source water filter - On The Go water softener
'21 Ram 3500 w/6.7 Cummins - Sinister Diesel oil bypass
Whitewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 05:46 AM   #4
Jnich17

I run the Demco Recon 5th to Gooseball hitch. Love it. I can remove it and flip ball and a clean bed again. I was looking at the Anderson before I found it will not work with the Air Ride box. Demco is all steel and not that heavy.
Airlift Bags
Jnich17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 04:29 PM   #5
ewbldavis

I have Andersen. I've contemplated the Reese Goosebox.

I wouldn't go with Gen-Y simply due to warranty. Reese is on 2nd generation of Goosebox, and it gets rave reviews...plus Keystone/Lippert endorse it.

I love the Andersen, but the idea of NOTHING in bed of truck except ball is awesome, so we'll see...I'm also aware the Andersen might void warranty...

Eddy

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L
2020 Cougar 32BHS
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 05:08 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewbldavis View Post
...I'm also aware the Andersen might void warranty...
Lippert will void any FRAME warranty claims if your using an Anderson. If you look at the Anderson website, they carry an insurance policy if that happens, but read the fine print.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 08:54 AM   #7
Poppy

I have the Anderson Ultimate in my truck. The dealer told me it WOULD NOT VOID ANY WARRANTIES.
Being this is my first 5er, I didn’t have time or resources at hand to check his word on it. So, now I’m just hoping and Praying he is right.
I do like the hitch, otherwise.
Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 12:22 PM   #8
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
I have the Anderson Ultimate in my truck. The dealer told me it WOULD NOT VOID ANY WARRANTIES.
Being this is my first 5er, I didn’t have time or resources at hand to check his word on it. So, now I’m just hoping and Praying he is right.
I do like the hitch, otherwise.
I suspect he also sold you the hitch?
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 01:30 PM   #9
Poppy

Traveling Texan, yes he did sell me the he hitch. In almost a thousand miles, I have not had a problem with it. It’s easy to hook up, disconnect, and also remove from the truck if I need to.
Old 02-06-2021, 02:03 PM   #10
JDDilly

Unfortunately, the Anderson hitch does void the warranty from what I got from both Keystone and LCI. I am looking at going with the Goosebox.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2023 Fuzion 421
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 02:08 PM   #11
gearhead

I think Andersen has a statement on their website about warrantying your frame.
But if I had any concern I would go the Reese Goosebox. I'm very likely going to the Gen Y because there isn't a Goosebox model for my weight.
I've got a PullRite 2600 that is about the same as Andersen. It's still a PITA to get in the bed of the truck with combo wrenches and a torque wrench to re-install the hitch. And, I'm not too comfortable leaving it in the truck bed when I'm parked at an isolated boat ramp.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 03:50 PM   #12
Poppy

Here is a link to the Anderson warranty website.
https://andersenhitches.com/Catalog/...-warranty.aspx

At the bottom of the page is thei $5 million warranty.
Old 02-06-2021, 05:08 PM   #13
Mmeyer

I have the Reese goose box with a b&w 4’’ offset ball. I love it, I wouldn’t ever think about changing. I installed a bed cam in my truck to help me get lined up and in position. The air bag is really easy you shouldn’t have to mess with it each time you hook up. (just check it make sure it’s at its mark)
Reese goose box
Mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 07:34 PM   #14
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
Traveling Texan, yes he did sell me the he hitch. In almost a thousand miles, I have not had a problem with it. It’s easy to hook up, disconnect, and also remove from the truck if I need to.
Meaning he made money by telling you it wouldn't void the warranty whether he knew or not, whether he cared or not!
Yes Anderson has a $5 million so called warranty, but read it VERY carefully, it only applies if it's proven their hitch caused the damages claimed so it's up to YOU to prove what Lippert has already voided the use of, I think that would/could be a long uphill climb.
I have never used the Anderson, & never would, with 16k+ 5th wheel hammering down, yanking back & forth I want some metal holding onto it.
But those that are happy with them go for it.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 10:53 PM   #15
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Meaning he made money by telling you it wouldn't void the warranty whether he knew or not, whether he cared or not!
Yes Anderson has a $5 million so called warranty, but read it VERY carefully, it only applies if it's proven their hitch caused the damages claimed so it's up to YOU to prove what Lippert has already voided the use of, I think that would/could be a long uphill climb.
I have never used the Anderson, & never would, with 16k+ 5th wheel hammering down, yanking back & forth I want some metal holding onto it.
But those that are happy with them go for it.
I agree with Travelin Texans, many think the Anderson is the cats meow, but I feel they are a little weak, and the additional distance one needs to rais and lower the 5er to hook up seems excessive to me. We have a traditional 5th wheel hitch, we back in at about 1.5" to 2" low, and un hitch the same way. I would need to raise the 5er about 4" to 6" higher to hook up.
I also don't like using the floor of the bed to support the hitch, old truck rails we attached to the frame. current truck has the puck system direct to the frame.
If I was to go to a ball hitch I would go with a Reese Goose box pin box. I will say also what ever floats your boat.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 08:28 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

There are a couple of threads a year or so back discussing the "Andersen five million dollar guarantee" and damage to the Lippert fifth wheel frame. If I recall, essentially, Lippert denied a frame repair because the owner was using the Andersen hitch. Andersen initially refused any repair under that warranty because Lippert didn't specifically state "The damage was caused by the Andersen hitch".... That thread, if I remember, never had a "final solution" whether good or bad. IOW, the poster never stated that Andersen repaired his trailer or that Lippert changed their decision.

Essentially, the way the Andersen warranty is written, it states, " If the manufacturer denies warranty coverage (or warranty service) for reasons that the cause of its products failure or damage covered under its warranty was due to the use of Andersen’s Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection (gooseneck or rail mount), and upon competent, independent inspection (as agreed upon by purchaser and Andersen) establishes that the Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection was the cause of failure or damage covered by the warranty, then Andersen Manufacturing will cover the amount that the manufacturer’s warranty would have covered, up to $5,000,000."

The way I remember that thread progressing, Lippert never stated "The Andersen hitch caused the damage" they told the owner, because you used an unapproved hitch, your warranty is void. So the owner was left in a situation where he couldn't obtain what Andersen required to start their warranty process... So, the "catch 22's" never allowed that owner to benefit from the Andersen 5 million dollar warranty...

It's always "the small print" that takes away what the large print giveth.....

All that said, as long as the trailer chassis doesn't fail and the hitch doesn't fail, it's all "academics" anyway... It's only when something happens that there's an issue... Then, the fun begins.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 09:13 AM   #17
ewbldavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmeyer View Post
I have the Reese goose box with a b&w 4’’ offset ball. I love it, I wouldn’t ever think about changing. I installed a bed cam in my truck to help me get lined up and in position. The air bag is really easy you shouldn’t have to mess with it each time you hook up. (just check it make sure it’s at its mark)
I've wondered about the Goosebox with my short-bed. Do you "need" the offset ball? Did it make a huge difference in clearance or affect handling?

Eddy

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L
2020 Cougar 32BHS
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar, hitch