Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2021, 06:16 AM   #21
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traindude View Post
Thank you . I do have a question for you then. Do you use the factory discount? I too live in Oregon so hearing your first hand experience with this is great.
We you will soon figure out that I am mostly a less is more person.
Before we started full timing we would sometimes go a month or more between trips. We also live in Oregon and would go out anytime of the year.

When we bought our 2005 Copper Canyon we found that parasitic draws would kill the battery in about two weeks. I installed a TOTAL disconnect switch I installed it on the positive lead from the battery, it can be installed on either lead.
Once that was installed the 5er could sit for two months without the battery going dead, and I could also run the slides out and in on a visit.

The switch I got cost about $30.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 08:02 AM   #22
nellie1289

Great analysis. All I know is for the first two years my batteries went to hell and had to replace. . The last three years they were always charged whenever I was there no matter how long it sat. Seems like it worked to me and I never had to pull the batteries again. This is the testimonial I was giving.
2021 Malibu 23 LSV
2017 Yamaha YXZ1000R SS SE
2019 Can AM Maverick X3 Turbo XRS
nellie1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 08:19 AM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

To me, it's just like my checking account. If I put in $100 a month and write checks for $125 a month, when the excess is gone, the bank will be calling me.

It's the same with trailers. If the electrical system uses 1.0 amps per hour and the solar charger produces 0.75 amps per hour, once the "additional withdrawal" is depleted, the "bank is going to be calling".... With a 100 amp battery, you can "delay the inevitable" but you can't "avoid it"....

There's no way that I know of to make 0.75 equal 1.0.... Not even with "new math".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 08:14 AM   #24
bbells

If you have direct sun for the usual 5 hours a day, you need a minimum of 50 watts if power is turned off in the camper. Minimum of 100 watts, preferably 200 watts if you leave the power on in the camper. FYI: icey snow on the panel on a cloudy day can and often does block all output.
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 11:05 AM   #25
Jchism759

Solar

This is the solar kit I am using to keep my 5th wheel battery maintained over winter. Seems to be working well. Mounted it with 2 screws under the front storage compartment. The solar panel is under the 5th wheel but still gets full sunlight in winter due to the low sun angle. It will not get snow in this location and when I visit to check in winter I clean it if it appears dirty.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Jchism759 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, solar