Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-24-2021, 12:38 PM   #1
mikel16

Trouble with Morryde steps and deck

Hello to all, newbie to 5th wheels here. Recently purchased a 2021 Montana High Country 295RL. The site it was placed on has a wooden deck. After having it delivered and leveled, I soon found that the Morryde steps will not go down far enough on the deck to close the screen or door. I removed both height adjusters from the bottom of the steps, no luck. Thought about jacking the frame up and putting leveling pads under all the wheels but more thought said it would just level to the same height anyway. I also have no way of moving the unit. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
mikel16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 12:59 PM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

If sounds like you have the trailer on a permanent site. I'd remove the steps and store them for when you sell the trailer and either buy a set of aluminum steps or make a set out of pressure treated lumber. Stromberg Carlson makes several models of porch steps.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 01:33 PM   #3
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel16 View Post
Hello to all, newbie to 5th wheels here. Recently purchased a 2021 Montana High Country 295RL. The site it was placed on has a wooden deck. After having it delivered and leveled, I soon found that the Morryde steps will not go down far enough on the deck to close the screen or door. I removed both height adjusters from the bottom of the steps, no luck. Thought about jacking the frame up and putting leveling pads under all the wheels but more thought said it would just level to the same height anyway. I also have no way of moving the unit. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
I don’t know it sounds like you had it right... if you build up the area the wheels sit on it will effectively raise the entire trailer. No different then if you pulled the trailer and put 4” of stone down and backed up. I would think you could jack up the wheels and put long double 2x10s under the wheels ( buy 2x10x10’ pressure treated ) 2 of them and cut in half. Stack them and have 2 stacked 2x10..5’ long.

Buy a couple more and make some pads for under the levelers
Then I would level the fifth wheel..I may be wrong but that’s what I would do
Old 01-24-2021, 02:37 PM   #4
ewbldavis

Stupid question from a seasonal camper - how "difficult" would it be to lower your deck?

We built a new deck for the 5er - and I set height so we can use the steps. I know there'd be some work involved, but might be worth it if you can trim the deck legs and lower it enough to use your steps. Maybe even just a step-down section where door is.

Edit: Plan B might be as suggested to remove steps. I checked ours, and the brackets are in place should we want to switch to "traditional" folding steps.

Eddy

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L
2020 Cougar 32BHS
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 03:58 PM   #5
mikel16

Unfortunately the deck belongs to the campground and I am not allowed to modify it. This is the first time I've had automatic levelers and I'm not sure if it would level at a new "raised" height or it would raise to the original level with a shorter jack extension on the rear and more on the front. I thought I may be able to manually raise the trailer higher as long as the wheels stay on the ground but again, I am new to levelers and didn't want to overextend them or do some other type of damage.
Old 01-24-2021, 04:11 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Unfortunately the deck belongs to the campground and I am not allowed to modify it. This is the first time I've had automatic levelers and I'm not sure if it would level at a new "raised" height or it would raise to the original level with a shorter jack extension on the rear and more on the front. I thought I may be able to manually raise the trailer higher as long as the wheels stay on the ground but again, I am new to levelers and didn't want to overextend them or do some other type of damage.
They won’t overextend. You can try using “manual mode”.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 05:11 PM   #7
mikel16

Another thought I had was to use the tripod on the pin and retract the landing gear one at a time and block the same amount as the rear but this seems like a REALLY BAD IDEA. Maybe when people start coming back in the spring, I can have someone with a hitch back in sideways (there is not enough to back in straight) and hookup so I can block it up that way and just buy them dinner. I still think it will level at or near the original height though.
Old 01-24-2021, 05:15 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

The tripod won’t carry the weight.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 06:54 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Another thought I had was to use the tripod on the pin and retract the landing gear one at a time and block the same amount as the rear but this seems like a REALLY BAD IDEA. Maybe when people start coming back in the spring, I can have someone with a hitch back in sideways (there is not enough to back in straight) and hookup so I can block it up that way and just buy them dinner. I still think it will level at or near the original height though.
It IS a bad idea... If you've got your heart set on putting pads under each of the tires. use a jack, jack up each wheel and put the blocks under that tire, then move to the next wheel and repeat.

It would be easier to use the hydraulic system to raise one side, put jacks under both tires on that side, then move to the other side. You may have an issue with the deck being in the way on the curb side, so don't expose yourself to getting crushed if the leveling system or jack fails.....

But, no, DON'T attempt to use a pin tripod stand to support the trailer while a wheel/tire is off the ground, that's an excellent way to "learn how to file an insurance claim".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 04:09 AM   #10
jasin1

Quote:
If you block the wheels and the leveling pads then it can’t possibly level to the same height as before. It would level to whatever it was originally PLUS the thickness of whatever was equally under each wheel. The trailer has no idea if the wheels are sitting on 3” blocks or if you moved the trailer and poured 3” of concrete ..if you put the 3” blocks the trailer should be exactly 3” higher everywhere.
The reason I said the 5’ long double stacked 2x10 is to make it stable. If you don’t have two jacks you could try to lift your rear stabilizers and a jack under one axle and slide the boards in from middle of rv under the wheels or use two jacks under each axle. If that doesn’t work to one wheel at a time and make four stacked smaller boards.one under each wheel and still put the ones under the leveling pads.
The only reason you may even need them under the leveling pads is because you don’t want to overextend them
Old 01-25-2021, 04:02 PM   #11
JDDilly

Raise camper

When we put our camper at our seasonal site, I had to put an additional 2 × 12 under each side. That raised the camper enough to use the steps.
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote