Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2021, 04:03 PM   #1
Maineiacs

Two drains into one?

My Keystone Cougar has 2 handles for dumping - one for black, one for gray. And it has two separate waste pipes - one for black, one for gray. I don't mind the two handles, pain in the butt but I can live with it.

What I'd like to do is tie both waste pipes together so after dumping black, I don't have to drag the hose over to the gray pipe. Has anyone connected the two successfully? What specific materials (PVC?) did you use and what type of glue?

Appreciate your input!
CRE3000 w/wet bolts

2021 F-350 4x4 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab
Maineiacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 06:01 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

It would require a collection of ABS pipe, fittings and glue. You could simply use two short hoses, hook them to a Y and dump with a single hose.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 04:05 AM   #3
cavie

Remember, IT runs downhill. You will lose ground clearance trying to pipe them together. A Y fitting and flex hose is the answer.
Old 01-05-2021, 07:15 AM   #4
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineiacs View Post
My Keystone Cougar has 2 handles for dumping - one for black, one for gray. And it has two separate waste pipes - one for black, one for gray. I don't mind the two handles, pain in the butt but I can live with it.

What I'd like to do is tie both waste pipes together so after dumping black, I don't have to drag the hose over to the gray pipe. Has anyone connected the two successfully? What specific materials (PVC?) did you use and what type of glue?

Appreciate your input!
Part depends on how far apart they are. Personally I would re-plumb them to a single connection, I don’t want to deal with storing the multiple hoses and the Y connector.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 07:50 AM   #5
Maineiacs

ASSUMING I can find the correct ABS fittings and ASSUMING I have enough clearance in both directions, I'll glue on the fittings necessary to tie the two lines into one discharge port. Have to wait until spring to take measurements and see if I can make it work.
CRE3000 w/wet bolts

Old 01-05-2021, 08:42 AM   #6
ewbldavis

I feel your pain...but mine are like 20ft. apart with axles in the way, so that's a negative.

I likely will add a main valve to each. I just don't like how everything is buried and like the idea of a secondary shut-off.

Eddy

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L
2020 Cougar 32BHS
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 10:48 AM   #7
dutchmensport

When at dump stations, I hook up the first outlet nearest the front of the camper. Dump, and then disconnect. I pull the truck and camper forward and connect the hose to the second one farther back. Works ok with no problem. You are not dragging hoses around, just moving the camper a few feet. For me this works.

When at a full hook up site, I use the Y connector.
I have 3 tanks. 1 in front of the wheels, and 2 behind the wheels. But 2 dump ports (3 valves).

Old 01-05-2021, 10:57 AM   #8
Maineiacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
When at dump stations, I hook up the first outlet nearest the front of the camper. Dump, and then disconnect. I pull the truck and camper forward and connect the hose to the second one farther back.

Both of my discharges are forward of the axle. So I could use this approach if I can't plumb a neater solution.
CRE3000 w/wet bolts

Old 01-05-2021, 11:02 AM   #9
dutchmensport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineiacs View Post
Both of my discharges are forward of the axle. So I could use this approach if I can't plumb a neater solution.
The only problem with this approach is when you get back into the truck to pull forward, if someone is waiting in line, they think you are ready to pull away. So, I pull forward a few feet, stop, get out, and I can see the driver behind me just fuming.

In order to keep that from happening, I will go to the camper behind use in line and tell them I have to move forward for the second set of tanks. They understand then. Ever since I started doing this, I've not had anyone get mad at me.

That's the only thing you need to be aware of if you move the trailer to reach the second dump port.
Old 01-05-2021, 01:35 PM   #10
Mic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
When at dump stations, I hook up the first outlet nearest the front of the camper. Dump, and then disconnect. I pull the truck and camper forward and connect the hose to the second one farther back. Works ok with no problem. You are not dragging hoses around, just moving the camper a few feet. For me this works.

When at a full hook up site, I use the Y connector.
I have 3 tanks. 1 in front of the wheels, and 2 behind the wheels. But 2 dump ports (3 valves).

Looks like a door above the location above
between the axles and out door side shower???

Are there stairs to get in ???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploaded.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	31393  
Old 01-10-2021, 08:25 AM   #11
pinski

Drains

I can't believe Keystone would have built it that way, that's awful having to move to complete the dumping process.

I have to give them kudos for how my Raptor is plumbed. I have 3 tanks ( 1 black 2 gray) and they are all plumbed together to 1 dump connection. ALso that location is close to hookup control box so I only need short hoses for both the dump and the flush water line.

Really happy with how they did the Raptor, not sure why they wouldn't have on all units.

Thanks
Shannon
pinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 08:30 AM   #12
cavie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinski View Post
I can't believe Keystone would have built it that way, that's awful having to move to complete the dumping process.

I have to give them kudos for how my Raptor is plumbed. I have 3 tanks ( 1 black 2 gray) and they are all plumbed together to 1 dump connection. ALso that location is close to hookup control box so I only need short hoses for both the dump and the flush water line.

Really happy with how they did the Raptor, not sure why they wouldn't have on all units.

Thanks
Shannon
if you can reinvent the wheel and make this stuff run uphill maybe they will listen.
Old 01-10-2021, 09:04 AM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:

Thanks
Shannon
The simple answer is because that configuration will work on YOUR layout but it will not work on some others. Folks that want a floor plan with tanks fore and aft of the axles will have to accept the tradeoff of having separate drains.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 09:21 AM   #14
Javi

Things like this is why people who are trailer shopping should make lists of wants, must haves and can live with, or cannot under any circumstance put up with..

Common sense says... if you like to cook, a small kitchen is problematic, two dump outlets are problematic, if you're older and arthritic, entry steps without a lift assist is problematic, as is the lack of slide awnings..

The list goes on and on...
Old 01-10-2021, 09:45 AM   #15
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Things like this is why people who are trailer shopping should make lists of wants, must haves and can live with, or cannot under any circumstance put up with..

Common sense says... if you like to cook, a small kitchen is problematic, two dump outlets are problematic, if you're older and arthritic, entry steps without a lift assist is problematic, as is the lack of slide awnings..

The list goes on and on...
Unfortunately folks get all caught up in the fancy blue "ambient lighting", the touchscreen displays, and then the salesman telling them that towing that 10,000 lb. 38' trailer with their Tacoma is "no problem".
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 09:49 AM   #16
travelin texans

If you want a rv with the kitchen on one end, the bath on the other the odds are pretty high you're going to have 2 dump locations. It's not like the stick/brick where lines can run underneath in any/every direction. I personally don't see it as that difficult to connect 2 outlets with a Y or dump separately, I see it as an inconvenience, so if wanting that particular floorplan it's something you must deal with.
Most parks/campgrounds have bathroom facilities, if it's that difficult or inconvenient, use those facilities & no need to worry about 2 hoses. Not trying to be harsh or a smart a##, just pointing out options.
Also on that Raptor that dump location may be the in the ideal location now, but I'll guarantee at some point at some park you may need 50' of sewer hose to connect, same with power cord & water supply hose.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 11:53 AM   #17
Maineiacs

Quote:
I have to give them kudos for how my Raptor is plumbed. I have 3 tanks ( 1 black 2 gray) and they are all plumbed together to 1 dump connection.

Thanks
Shannon

Shannon, that's an ideal setup. I'm guessing it wasn't feasible on mine because of the tank locations. Just guessing. Once spring gets here and I can get underneath with a tape measure, I'll see if I can work out a similar scheme.
CRE3000 w/wet bolts

Old 01-10-2021, 12:23 PM   #18
rlh1957

Wouldn’t a sewer hose ‘Y’ connector work?

My Cougar has front grey and black tank coming together through a Y at the connection at the outlet.
My rear grey I use a Y to connect one hose to the other.

If my unit puts grey and black together through a Y from the factory, no reason you can’t use a Y to connect to one outlet, get a short hose to connect to the Y and then connect to the sewer hose.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 12:29 PM   #19
Mike in NJ

Same rig, same complaint

I also have a 32RLI and have the same complaint. I've been thinking about connecting the the grey line to the black line.
My plan is:
- cut the black line, install a "Y" (not a "T") connection and have the black line end at approximately same place and same angle it is now.
- cut the grey line close to where it exits the rig and install an elbow toward the black line.
- connect the new grey line to the "Y" connection in the black line.

I believe this will work. I've read that the slope should be 1/4" per foot of run so I don't think it'll be a problem since the pipes are at most 4 feet apart. This will also add more of a slope to my grey line since it has almost no slope now and it drains slowly.

I'll post pictures if I get it done. Please do the same.
Mike in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 12:40 PM   #20
Maineiacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh1957 View Post
Wouldn’t a sewer hose ‘Y’ connector work?

Yes, this will certainly work and has also been suggested by others. What it does not accomplish is to remove the pain-in-the-*** factor of hooking up two connections each time. I would like to hook up one hose and be done with it.
CRE3000 w/wet bolts

Tags
drain