Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 12-13-2020, 02:37 PM   #1
Mike&Sandy

Swap Blackstone 22 for Capital grill

So, I did the Blackstone 22 griddle swap for the almost worthless Capital grill. Fit is perfect, after a few measurements and adjustments to the slides. However, I'm still trying to figure out how to route the gas lines. I can't use the gas rail that came with the griddle, it's too wide to fit when the grill is in the stow position. If anyone has done this already and can provide an easy mod, that would be great. Thanks. (Mike)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201213_150845.jpg
Views:	653
Size:	263.3 KB
ID:	31124   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201213_154543.jpg
Views:	594
Size:	207.9 KB
ID:	31125   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201213_154553.jpg
Views:	734
Size:	245.0 KB
ID:	31126  
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 diesel 3.42
San Antonio, TX
Mike&Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 06:43 PM   #2
Mike&Sandy

Got 17 responses to the same post on facebook.
San Antonio, TX
Old 12-13-2020, 06:55 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike&Sandy View Post

And? Do you suppose facebook is the place to get your answers for an RV?? I no longer use it for anything but.....
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 07:11 PM   #4
Mike&Sandy

Not the general Facebook. It's the Keystone owners group page.. Basically the same as this only appears to be more responsive. Not trying to offend anyone.
Old 12-13-2020, 07:24 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Not the general Facebook. It's the Keystone owners group page.. Basically the same as this only appears to be more responsive. Not trying to offend anyone.
17 responses on "that forum" and none were adequate ??? Seems to have the same "frequency of good answers" on both, eh ???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 07:34 PM   #6
Mike&Sandy

Several excellent responses with photos of the mods. Most seem to be notching the upright wooden trim so that the gas rail from the griddle clears, that is what's hitting.

I think I'm going to modify a standard black water pipe (most likely 1/2 inch), and run the line with a quick disconnect straight down. I'm still measuring though.

I'm new here but I guess there's some animosity with other forums??? Didn't know that some stuff was off color or off limits. Sorry for my learning curve with formalities. Seriously not trying to ruffle any feathers.
San Antonio, TX
Old 12-13-2020, 07:35 PM   #7
Camping family

Quote:
So, I did the Blackstone 22 griddle swap for the almost worthless Capital grill. Fit is perfect, after a few measurements and adjustments to the slides. However, I'm still trying to figure out how to route the gas lines. I can't use the gas rail that came with the griddle, it's too wide to fit when the grill is in the stow position. If anyone has done this already and can provide an easy mod, that would be great. Thanks. (Mike)
Don’t understand what you are talking about gas rail. I changed mine out with the 17. Had to make a few adjustments. I’m able to just place the gas line behind the grill when in storage.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 07:50 PM   #8
Mike&Sandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping family View Post
Don’t understand what you are talking about gas rail. I changed mine out with the 17. Had to make a few adjustments. I’m able to just place the gas line behind the grill when in storage.
It's what Blackstone calls the tube that goes through the side to the valves. If you look under the front, it's easy to see and looks like it could be modified to run out the bottom, which for me, will preserve the clean look.
San Antonio, TX
Old 12-14-2020, 04:03 AM   #9
notanlines

Facebook is the world's premier news and information source. I've learned over the years that the accuracy of the millions of reporters is simply unsurpassed and that nothing inaccurate is ever published. The amount of medical and political information is simply unsurpassed! Why, just yesterday I learned from a 'Facebook reporter' here in Florida that we should all avoid the new vaccine because it very likely will change your DNA. Nowhere else in the free world is this useful info available!

I also learned a couple years ago from a certain pharmacist in Kansas City that when being facetious to state so at the end of the post...so stated!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 04:43 AM   #10
NH_Bulldog

Quote:
Mike, I can understand your desire to seek information from a variety of sources, and that’s not a bad thing. But your second post on this thread was unnecessary and comes across as “snarky”, and taunting for no apparent reason.

“I asked this same question at <name here> and received <number here> responses, but I didn’t like the answers I received, so I want to ask here, and how dare no one respond?”
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 06:17 AM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Several excellent responses with photos of the mods. Most seem to be notching the upright wooden trim so that the gas rail from the griddle clears, that is what's hitting.

I think I'm going to modify a standard black water pipe (most likely 1/2 inch), and run the line with a quick disconnect straight down. I'm still measuring though.

I'm new here but I guess there's some animosity with other forums??? Didn't know that some stuff was off color or off limits. Sorry for my learning curve with formalities. Seriously not trying to ruffle any feathers.
Mike just a couple of comments. First, to be upfront I'm not a FB fan for many reasons that I'm not going to get into. No sense in "dragging" the post down that road. So perhaps my view is tainted on this but here's my take.

I've read this over several times, waited until today to read it again to give it a fresh read. My impression is it reads (not saying it's your intent) as if you began with an attitude that FB is "better" because you received 17 responses in a quick fashion. To me, this conveys the message that FB was your "first choice" and "see, they're better because they responded fast". I think that's viewed negatively not by the forum but by the forum community.

When any mention of dislike of FB was posted, you became defensive. Again, this "appears" like the first thoughts of your intent to proclaim FB as being superior was then verified. I hope you don't take this as an attack because of my personal views hut rather as constructive criticism. The disadvantage of the written word is in conveying emotions and meaning. Gifted writers often speed days editing, and searching for a more succinct conveyance of a thought or idea for a single sentence. When posting on a forum, or constructing or answering emails it's easy to stream thoughts that are easily interpreted differently from the original intent. One famous example was the J Edgar Hover comment to "watch the borders" https://everything2.com/title/Watch+the+Borders

So I have no answer for your original question but if you go looking for pipe to alter the gas line it's referred to as black iron pipe. If you walk into Home Depot or Lowes asking for "black water pipe" they'll most likely direct you to the plastic irrigation tubing.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 06:29 AM   #12
Javi

I have a 17" Blackstone, I do not now, nor will I ever have a built in outdoor kitchen...

But this is what I use on my Blackstone grill..

https://propanegear.com/converta-bp-...tone-griddles/
Old 12-14-2020, 07:04 AM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

Mike, there is no animosity on this forum toward other forums as far as I know or have ever seen/read.

Whether a member does or doesn't "like" facebook wouldn't mean there is animosity - I don't like it because I get nothing of value there (gossip) and it has crashed my computer 3 times with viruses..once requiring a home visit and several hundred dollars to correct. But this isn't about facebook - just why some don't consider it a "resource".

Your 2nd post was literally a swipe at the members for not responding in a timeframe you wanted and you got a few responses that it engendered. As far as "some stuff being off color or off limits" please read the Community Rules in the New Member Section. There are topics and rules of conduct there that help keep the forum a fun place to be.

The mod on the Blackstone looks good, BUT; I don't know what kind of cooking you do on your flattop but if like me the side of your trailer will become a grease mess. I don't cook anywhere near the trailer simply due to that.
Old 12-14-2020, 09:03 AM   #14
Mike&Sandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Facebook is the world's premier news and information source. I've learned over the years that the accuracy of the millions of reporters is simply unsurpassed and that nothing inaccurate is ever published. The amount of medical and political information is simply unsurpassed! Why, just yesterday I learned from a 'Facebook reporter' here in Florida that we should all avoid the new vaccine because it very likely will change your DNA. Nowhere else in the free world is this useful info available!

I also learned a couple years ago from a certain pharmacist in Kansas City that when being facetious to state so at the end of the post...so stated!
Lol, awesome, thanks.
Old 12-14-2020, 09:41 AM   #15
Mike&Sandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
Mike, I can understand your desire to seek information from a variety of sources, and that’s not a bad thing. But your second post on this thread was unnecessary and comes across as “snarky”, and taunting for no apparent reason.

“I asked this same question at <name here> and received <number here> responses, but I didn’t like the answers I received, so I want to ask here, and how dare no one respond?”
Well, I've been called a lot worse, LOL!! I appreciate your comments.
San Antonio, TX
Old 12-14-2020, 09:42 AM   #16
Mike&Sandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
I have a 17" Blackstone, I do not now, nor will I ever have a built in outdoor kitchen...

But this is what I use on my Blackstone grill..

https://propanegear.com/converta-bp-...tone-griddles/

Yes, that's what I plan on putting on a black pipe to run the line out the bottom. Thanks for the suggestion.
San Antonio, TX
Old 12-14-2020, 09:48 AM   #17
Mike&Sandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Mike, there is no animosity on this forum toward other forums as far as I know or have ever seen/read.

Whether a member does or doesn't "like" facebook wouldn't mean there is animosity - I don't like it because I get nothing of value there (gossip) and it has crashed my computer 3 times with viruses..once requiring a home visit and several hundred dollars to correct. But this isn't about facebook - just why some don't consider it a "resource".

Your 2nd post was literally a swipe at the members for not responding in a timeframe you wanted and you got a few responses that it engendered. As far as "some stuff being off color or off limits" please read the Community Rules in the New Member Section. There are topics and rules of conduct there that help keep the forum a fun place to be.

The mod on the Blackstone looks good, BUT; I don't know what kind of cooking you do on your flattop but if like me the side of your trailer will become a grease mess. I don't cook anywhere near the trailer simply due to that.

Thanks for your comments. I have really enjoyed reading your posts. I'm pretty computer savvy, not so much with decorum on these forums, I'm a work in progress there.

I use a Camp Chef fgt600 at home all the time. My family LOVES what comes off that griddle. So, when the opportunity to put one on the RV came up everyone started to salivate, lol. My wife has pretty much let me know that the outdoor grill area is essentially my garage away from home. The home one is greasy, looks like the RV one will be also.

This is my first RV, maybe the next one won't have the outdoor kitchen.

Thanks again, I love the accountability, keep it up.
San Antonio, TX
Old 12-14-2020, 09:49 AM   #18
Mike&Sandy

Ok, looks like I've addressed all the comments, lol. I'm going to post pics of the mods as I'm able to take off work to do them.
San Antonio, TX
Old 12-14-2020, 10:15 AM   #19
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks for your comments. I have really enjoyed reading your posts. I'm pretty computer savvy, not so much with decorum on these forums, I'm a work in progress there.

I use a Camp Chef fgt600 at home all the time. My family LOVES what comes off that griddle. So, when the opportunity to put one on the RV came up everyone started to salivate, lol. My wife has pretty much let me know that the outdoor grill area is essentially my garage away from home. The home one is greasy, looks like the RV one will be also.

This is my first RV, maybe the next one won't have the outdoor kitchen.

Thanks again, I love the accountability, keep it up.

Well, as far as being a "work in progress", at this late date I still am and probably will be until they plant me somewhere in a box.

I have 3 Blackstones and love them all. I do however cook away from buildings, trailers etc. Can't imagine what the side of the trailer would look like after I fried a couple pounds of bacon or a dozen burgers.

I am the cook in the household and like all kinds of "cooking gear"; might say it's a pastime since I quit building jalopies, 4x4s, guns, buildings etc. In the RV 90% is outside and the other 10% is either in the oven or on my induction cookers.

If like me, cooking outside with the RV is something I won't give up. Get that Blackstone hooked up and give it a whirl and see how it goes. Might need to spend a lot of cleanup time so the trailer doesn't get to be a mess. In the end, you can remove it, put the Blackstone and whatever other kinds of cookers you like away from the trailer and turn the existing stove area into storage. That's something that would be handy IMO. Currently I use plastic totes devoted to the smoker, Blackstone and one for just BBQing in general. The rest comes in and out of the door which I don't particularly like. Let us know how the mods go.
Old 12-14-2020, 03:16 PM   #20
NH_Bulldog

Quote:
Ok, looks like I've addressed all the comments, lol. I'm going to post pics of the mods as I'm able to take off work to do them.
Mike, you have a great attitude, I love it! Many others would have gotten butt-hurt, picked up their toys and gone home.

I have an outside kitchen and love it. I chose to keep my stovetop intact and ran a splitter off the gas quick connect to run a tabletop grill/griddle on a side table. If you thread anything together make sure to use thread sealant rated for gas.
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote