Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2020, 11:32 AM   #1
Javi

Headboard problems

I don't believe I've ever had this problem in an RV before... Maybe someone else has seen it..

For some unknown reason Keystone decided to put this silly looking headboard in the slide. Now the DW thinks it cute... But the silly thing was only help up with two screws toenailed through the corners of the headboard into the roof of the slide..

I guess the plant was short of screws that day because the screws only had two threads into the ceiling panel.. and it didn't last to get home.. at least I don't think so... I never would of seen it (to be truthful) but the DW noticed the headboard was laying against the window valances.

Now she wants it fixed.. I told her the darn thing can't fall any further so what's the big deal..

That didn't go over all that well..

Any ideals ??? I ain't taking it back for warranty...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bedroom.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	433.9 KB
ID:	30642  
Old 11-04-2020, 12:59 PM   #2
notanlines

I guess, being old school, I subscribe to the "F-26 is your friend." It's easier to spell than Gorilla Glue anyway. Can I assume that it actually CAN be glued from the rear, or is that not an option? It looks like a fancy pin-up board. Maybe for pictures drawn by the grandkids...
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 01:49 PM   #3
rhagfo

Longer screws into stringers in the ceiling/roof structure. Might keep your head warmer in cold areas.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 02:06 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
I don't believe I've ever had this problem in an RV before... Maybe someone else has seen it..

For some unknown reason Keystone decided to put this silly looking headboard in the slide. Now the DW thinks it cute... But the silly thing was only help up with two screws toenailed through the corners of the headboard into the roof of the slide..

I guess the plant was short of screws that day because the screws only had two threads into the ceiling panel.. and it didn't last to get home.. at least I don't think so... I never would of seen it (to be truthful) but the DW noticed the headboard was laying against the window valances.

Now she wants it fixed.. I told her the darn thing can't fall any further so what's the big deal..

That didn't go over all that well..

Any ideals ??? I ain't taking it back for warranty...

Whaaat?? I'm sure they've got some #18 wood screws they could try to toenail it back with....using that 1100 psi screw gun...

Can you find anything to attach to either roof or back wall wise? That looks like a finished panel that was then attached (attempted) temporarily to the existing wall?? If so, what about small lathe strips across the top the vertically (2) attached to the exterior wall/ceiling then attach the panel to that. It appears it would make the panel stand off maybe 1/2" but just attach trim strips down the edges and slather some pecan stain (or ?) on the edges to match the woodwork - wouldn't fall on your head anyway..
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 05:55 PM   #5
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Whaaat?? I'm sure they've got some #18 wood screws they could try to toenail it back with....using that 1100 psi screw gun...

Can you find anything to attach to either roof or back wall wise? That looks like a finished panel that was then attached (attempted) temporarily to the existing wall?? If so, what about small lathe strips across the top the vertically (2) attached to the exterior wall/ceiling then attach the panel to that. It appears it would make the panel stand off maybe 1/2" but just attach trim strips down the edges and slather some pecan stain (or ?) on the edges to match the woodwork - wouldn't fall on your head anyway..
The material is slightly better than tow sack burlap and the frame appears to be 1/2 x 3/4 maybe cheap pine.. If it were up to me I'd pull it down and go on.. but I doubt that will be an option. I guess I'm going to have to actually apply my education and design a way to fix it
Old 11-04-2020, 05:57 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
The material is slightly better than tow sack burlap and the frame appears to be 1/2 x 3/4 maybe cheap pine.. If it were up to me I'd pull it down and go on.. but I doubt that will be an option. I guess I'm going to have to actually apply my education and design a way to fix it

Ahhh....understand.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 08:11 PM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

I'd use a French cleat or Z hanger. Several short screws over a longer span I think might work.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 04:44 AM   #8
QCMan
Gone Traveling

How about some good quality double sided foam tape? Being si flimsy means it is not a lot to hold up. I would ise the 3m exterior double sided tape with the red backing. Lasts for at least ten years outside so maybe lots longer than you will have the unit if you use it inside. Keep us posted!
QCMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 11:47 AM   #9
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCMan View Post
How about some good quality double sided foam tape? Being si flimsy means it is not a lot to hold up. I would ise the 3m exterior double sided tape with the red backing. Lasts for at least ten years outside so maybe lots longer than you will have the unit if you use it inside. Keep us posted!
Well, I kind of went with your suggestion... I am currently testing the Industrial strength Extreme Velcro 1" wide x 6" in three places across the top. Since the actual board is approximately 1/2" wide there isn't a lot to grab so I folded the Velcro around the board and it seemed to grab..

We're headed out next weekend for a campground close to home (140 miles) so it'll get a little bouncing and vibration. If it doesn't hold, then on to stronger attempts..
Old 11-07-2020, 03:33 PM   #10
QCMan
Gone Traveling

That will work well too!
QCMan is offline   Reply With Quote