Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > COVID-19 Discussion Zone
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2020, 02:19 PM   #1
gearhead

Covid spies

Harris County Texas (Houston) Judge (County CEO, not a legal judge) Lina "El Commandante" Hidalgo is about to step over the legal line in my opinion. She is hiring 300 people to set up a program that if you test positive you will have an app put on your smart phone that Apple and Google will use to determine who you have been around. Amazingly a TV station interviewed folks "on the street" who said...yeah, good idea.
And you say?
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 03:01 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Harris County Texas (Houston) Judge (County CEO, not a legal judge) Lina "El Commandante" Hidalgo is about to step over the legal line in my opinion. She is hiring 300 people to set up a program that if you test positive you will have an app put on your smart phone that Apple and Google will use to determine who you have been around. Amazingly a TV station interviewed folks "on the street" who said...yeah, good idea.
And you say?

Harris county is "out there" as far as TX goes. I'm afeared they would have a difficult time putting anything in/on me or anything I owned. Yes, she is overstepping and I'm sure knows it but you can't hold someone like that back by suggestion - they are doing it for the "greater" good of those willing to accept it...….
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 03:48 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Not only no, but HELL NO !!!!!

First, I don't own a smart phone and last I checked, it wasn't a requirement for citizenship... That said, unless "el commandante" is going to pay for the smart phone and all testing, she ain't getting my support. Even then, she ain't getting my support.....

I don't see how she can enforce such a "community order" and I can't imagine the governor and attorney general of Texas allowing such CRAP to happen in Texas.....

Thinking about it a bit more, they did the same CRAP by painting a scarlet letter on some women's foreheads and burning others at the stake because they "weren't clean (by our definition)"... I call BS on that "whatever she might call herself".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 04:10 PM   #4
gearhead

Watch the repeat of Tucker Carlson tonight..
Old 04-28-2020, 04:12 PM   #5
rhagfo

Got news for you, they can track by your phone already! Working for a retailer in the IT department, application was presented that could track consumers through the store to see where they spent time. I was happy at the time that our legal department decided to pass on it.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 04:13 PM   #6
Canonman

If a person tests positive their first responsibility would be to let anyone they know who they might have compromised. Being a responsible citizen is the basis for our civilization.
Watched a woman pick up a tomato in the store barehanded, give it a good squeeze and a sniff then put it back. I took a plastic bag, put my hand in it picked up the same tomato and told the produce guy it was contaminated, explained how I knew and watched him dispose of it. Some folks just aren't careful.
So if I get this right, someone tests positive. The govt. checks the gps in their phone against the gps data base of all phones for a 14 day period and is supposed to contact those hundreds of folks that match, to inform them they "might" have been exposed?? And, if they do this after the fact, after the positive test result, and still find this idiot wandering around infecting others then I'd recommend giving them a shovel and have em start digging.
In the end, I think you're pretty safe from Big Brother; researchers found that as of April 20, Texas has only tested 6,634 people per million, which is 0.66%
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 04:37 PM   #7
gearhead

I don't like it, at all.
They may be able to follow me now, but as far as I know there has been no consequences or actions about where I've been.
Another excuse for me to ditch the iPhone.
Yep Houston is "out there". Glad I moved out.
Old 04-28-2020, 05:17 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Go back and look what gruesome Newsome said on Face the nation. Ca can and does track people in real time via cell phone.

That’s been available technology for years, this whole Covid thing is about out of hand IMO.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 05:18 PM   #9
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Harris county is "out there" as far as TX goes. I'm afeared they would have a difficult time putting anything in/on me or anything I owned. Yes, she is overstepping and I'm sure knows it but you can't hold someone like that back by suggestion - they are doing it for the "greater" good of those willing to accept it...….
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

Glad I still use my flip phone... go ahead and try to add any apps to that

-Brian
Old 04-28-2020, 05:29 PM   #10
Gary R.

I too have a lowly flip phone that has no GPS embedded. Of course, texting is not much fun when you're in a hurry, but then--why text when you can call!

Cheers!

Gary
Retired Firefighter/EMT.
Gary R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 05:33 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Got news for you, they can track by your phone already! Working for a retailer in the IT department, application was presented that could track consumers through the store to see where they spent time. I was happy at the time that our legal department decided to pass on it.
That can't track my phone... I DON'T CARRY ONE... My entire career was spent being "electronically connected 24/7. It started with a beeper that buzzed, you had to "call the service" for a message, that evolved to a beeper that gave a digital message (phone number to call), which evolved to a beeper with an audio 15 second message followed by a Phillips "bag phone" which evolved to a Nokia cell phone which became a Blackberry....

NO THANKS, I don't carry one of those damn things any longer, so anybody tracking me is going to have to wear sunglasses, a cap low over their forehead and pretend not to be following me....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 05:39 PM   #12
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
... researchers found that as of April 20, Texas has only tested 6,634 people per million, which is 0.66%
Here is a link to the Texas DHS COVID page, it updates daily.

Lots of good data there. Today's count is 26,171 Cases Reported with a population of over 29 million.

22 new cases reported in my county, in the last 6 days.

-Brian
Old 04-28-2020, 06:01 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
If a person tests positive their first responsibility would be to let anyone they know who they might have compromised. Being a responsible citizen is the basis for our civilization.
Watched a woman pick up a tomato in the store barehanded, give it a good squeeze and a sniff then put it back. I took a plastic bag, put my hand in it picked up the same tomato and told the produce guy it was contaminated, explained how I knew and watched him dispose of it. Some folks just aren't careful.
So if I get this right, someone tests positive. The govt. checks the gps in their phone against the gps data base of all phones for a 14 day period and is supposed to contact those hundreds of folks that match, to inform them they "might" have been exposed?? And, if they do this after the fact, after the positive test result, and still find this idiot wandering around infecting others then I'd recommend giving them a shovel and have em start digging.
In the end, I think you're pretty safe from Big Brother; researchers found that as of April 20, Texas has only tested 6,634 people per million, which is 0.66%

I'm not sure what the gist is but whether you have the virus or not, or flu, or cancer, or lupus, or etc. etc. etc. the government has ZERO right to track you and then trace everyone you have contacted...NONE. If we buy off on that and think it's "good", heck, a chip under the skin should make one ecstatic.

If a person is positive their life should not end since by my last calculation about .0135% of the population has died from it as opposed to 2.4% contracting it. That was as of 4/23 CDC stats vs a population of 330M. Further, IF that miniscule number happens to cross you path you are hopefully in good shape with a good immune system and you'll get the sniffles....just like the flu, no more, no less. No one has given up their privacy, their lives, livelihood and future due to the flu. This referred to "pandemic" is doing that by the millions and millions to our citizens; and I'm worried about .0135%? I think not - just take reasonable precautions - certainly not tracking innocent citizens for whatever reasons they may want to come up with.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 06:12 PM   #14
gearhead

^^Yes sir. X2.
Old 04-28-2020, 07:49 PM   #15
B-O-B'03

Quote:
I'm not sure what the gist is but whether you have the virus or not, or flu, or cancer, or lupus, or etc. etc. etc. the government has ZERO right to track you and then trace everyone you have contacted...NONE. If we buy off on that and think it's "good", heck, a chip under the skin should make one ecstatic.

If a person is positive their life should not end since by my last calculation about .0135% of the population has died from it as opposed to 2.4% contracting it. That was as of 4/23 CDC stats vs a population of 330M. Further, IF that miniscule number happens to cross you path you are hopefully in good shape with a good immune system and you'll get the sniffles....just like the flu, no more, no less. No one has given up their privacy, their lives, livelihood and future due to the flu. This referred to "pandemic" is doing that by the millions and millions to our citizens; and I'm worried about .0135%? I think not - just take reasonable precautions - certainly not tracking innocent citizens for whatever reasons they may want to come up with.
Well said!
Old 04-29-2020, 04:53 AM   #16
flybouy
Site Team

Just one thing about cell phones, they don't have to have GPS to "track" you. If the phone is on you can be pinpointed by triangulation of the cell towers that phone "pings" off of.

Here's the danger of fear and relinquishing of rights. After the 911 terror attacks laws were passed to "combat terrorism" (USA-PATRIOT ACT). The NSA built massive building on each coast filled with equipment to monitor and selectively record EVERY phone call in the country. What was the resultant effect of these 911 laws? An extreme over reach by Congress and the law enforcement community.
In 2013, a top-secret order issued by the court, which was later leaked to the media from documents culled by Edward Snowden, required a subsidiary of Verizon to provide a daily, on-going feed of all call detail records—including those for domestic calls—to the NSA.

FISA, enacted in 1978 has been misused by politically biased judges and congress. FISA warrants have been handed out like candy on halloween.

Again, I believe the fear mongering has lead us down this path. Whether it was burning witches in MA, "ferreting out communist" during the McCarthy era of 1950 -1954, or terrorist attacks of 9-11, fear can grip a people and result in irrational decisions. Fear convinced people to "give up those rights" and I have no doubt this pandemic fear will do the same. Fear of the "unknown" or "not understood" is the strongest fear, it's human nature. Those that let fear rule their emotions and actions will never conquer it.
JMHO
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 05:56 AM   #17
Canonman

Quote:

Let me clarify my earlier post. First, I cherish my right to privacy as much as anyone. I also am totally against government overreach out of fear or for any other reason. I was honestly asking a question about how this idea of using cell phone tracking data was supposed to work. It doesn’t make sense to me that TX is going to contact trace everyone that the data says “might” have been contacted by the infected person. Further, TX ranks at the bottom of states in the number of tests performed i.e. less than 1% of the population; so what are they planning to do if they do the contact tracing? I guess I don’t think they are really going to try and implement this since they probably couldn’t handle the information overload.
For the record, I am adamant that if you test positive for ANY contagious disease you should stay home! Life doesn't have to end, just Don’t go out and infect more people. We all have an obligation to take care of one another. Also, I’m not afraid of this virus for my own sake. My DW is one of those at risk people who would be in real trouble if she were to get infected. While we are cautious, we are not panicked. I go the grocery, hardware store etc. so she can stay home. Our golf courses are open and I still play weekly.
What’s changed is that I’m careful, a lot more careful. Personal distancing and hand washing all in the bounds of reasonableness is about all that’s changed for us. Our state parks are now open to camping and we have reservations for next week. So, life goes on. My position, be safe but not scared.
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 09:01 AM   #18
thewhitehat

Dumb

Some ideas are just dumb.

wife, son, new dog, me

thewhitehat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 09:03 AM   #19
thewhitehat

Dumb

Sorry for the edit
wife, son, new dog, me

thewhitehat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 10:28 AM   #20
gearhead

This is educational reading but the 20 month old grandson wants to go see Quack Quack on the wall in the gun room. LOL. Then I have to "spin" him in my office chair. He is calling the deer head moo moo. Close enough!
They are who I am worried for.