Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2021, 10:26 AM   #1
JBWardFamily

ShortStop CB Question and 2nd Battery

Hi all. My jacks trip the inline ShortStop circuit breakers and blank out the control panel when not connected to shore power. Are these 30, 40 or 50 amp breakers? I have a '17 Cougar 33MLS with the 50 amp.

Also, we are about to take a cross-country trip and I'd like to add a second battery in parallel to extend the life in case we have to boondock a night or two here and there. Not looking to dump a ton of $ into it so will the Deep Cycle batteries from Walmart work well enough?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3244.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	175.4 KB
ID:	31658   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3245.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	182.2 KB
ID:	31659  
JBWardFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 10:38 AM   #2
travelin texans

You need to buy batteries as a matched pair. Pairing a new one with an old will only degrade the new.
If staying with 12 volt 2 group 31s true deep cycle rv batteries connected parallel would be your best option. Be sure that the replacements are true deep cycle, there shouldn't be CCA, CA or MCA listed on the top, these are starting type batteries for vehicles not deigned for rv use, only aH (amp hours) listed.
Also 2 6 volt golf cart type batteries connected in series would be good. The disadvantage of the 6 volt is if one goes dead so does everything in your rv if boondocking.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 10:42 AM   #3
JBWardFamily

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
You need to buy batteries as a matched pair. Pairing a new one with an old will only degrade the new.
If staying with 12 volt 2 group 31s true deep cycle rv batteries connected parallel would be your best option. Be sure that the replacements are true deep cycle, there shouldn't be CCA, CA or MCA listed on the top, these are starting type batteries for vehicles not deigned for rv use, only aH (amp hours) listed.
Also 2 6 volt golf cart type batteries connected in series would be good. The disadvantage of the 6 volt is if one goes dead so does everything in your rv if boondocking.
Agreed. I'm planning on replacing the original and add a 2nd. Any idea what amp breaker is supposed to be installed? The corrosion is definitely to blame and both need replacing.
Old 01-27-2021, 10:45 AM   #4
travelin texans

Can't help with the circuit breaker, but would assume (you what that means) it would have that info stamped on it.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 11:51 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

From your photo it looks like someone attempted to remove the screw from one and abandoned their efforts and replaced it with the "free floating" one in your picture. I would remove the abandoned one (most likely the original) and take a look at the back of it. It should be stamped with an amp rating. Replace the new one by securing it back on to the frame. Take note which wires went where. The circuit breaker should have one side identified as BATT for battery and the other is the load.

While your there cleaning up those ring terminals I'd suggest you remove the ground wires and inspect/clean them as well.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 04:46 PM   #6
JBWardFamily

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
From your photo it looks like someone attempted to remove the screw from one and abandoned their efforts and replaced it with the "free floating" one in your picture. I would remove the abandoned one (most likely the original) and take a look at the back of it. It should be stamped with an amp rating. Replace the new one by securing it back on to the frame. Take note which wires went where. The circuit breaker should have one side identified as BATT for battery and the other is the load.

While your there cleaning up those ring terminals I'd suggest you remove the ground wires and inspect/clean them as well.
I'll definitely do that and might even just replace the terminals altogether.
Old 01-27-2021, 05:56 PM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBWardFamily View Post
I'll definitely do that and might even just replace the terminals altogether.
It would be a good idea to be prepared to replace them. You can take a pic on your phone so you know what goes where or use same tape to identify the wires. If the wire inside the fin terminal is corroded or discolored then cut it back until you get good shiney copper wire.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery