Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2021, 05:55 PM   #1
FT_RV_Wife's_Idea

New Dryer Vent question: 2021 Fuzion 419

Hello!

I am a new user (first post), and a new owner of a 2021 Fuzion 419 5th wheel. WHEW It's BIG! I searched the posts in this forum, and although a lot of threads on dryer vents, nothing quite like this one:

In the bedroom closet up front where the washer dryer hook up is, is a little factory sticker that reads "THIS WASHER AND DRYER AREA IS DESIGNED FOR A VENTLESS DRYER." At first glance, I thought it was a "DRILL HERE" sticker... but it seems to be the opposite.

I have been researching forums and videos for weeks now. I am familiar with the pros and cons of vented vs ventless, and I know all the tips and tricks for drilling a hole for dryer vents. (don't cut through the front cap, use morning condensation outside to see the frame locations, stop after cutting through the panel and check for wires/studs/frame, etc...)

My specific question is; has anyone seen this sticker, and/or know why this model has it, and/or success or failure in drilling a 4" vent hole anyway?
If it is just for liability reasons, then I can proceed cautiously with my stud finder and pilot holes... But, if it is there because there is absolutely no safe place to drill for a 4" dryer vent there, I should probably just not try...
Has anyone else defied this sticker, and successfully installed a dryer vent anyway? Anyone happen to successfully install a dryer vent in the bedroom closet of a 5th wheel close to a 2021 Fuzion 419 ?
Is there such a thing as a 5th wheel that cannot possibly have a 4" dryer vent hole safely drilled out the side?

Thanks so much for any advice.
FT_RV_Wife's_Idea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 06:39 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

On some "front closet dryer spaces" in fifth wheels a couple years ago, the closet cabinet was not designed to be deep enough to house a dryer with the vent hose behind it. Apparently, Keystone designed the closet space for the depth of the washer/dryer, but failed to consider the extra inches required for the dryer vent. The issue: Everything would fit, but the washer/dryer door would not close because the appliances needed to sit 4" from the front wall to accommodate the dryer vent hose. On a couple of trailers, Keystone rebuilt the cabinet space, then came out with a retrofit kit to install during the warranty period if a new owner complained. After the warranty expired, it wasn't Keystone's problem any longer.

It sounds like they decided that was too expensive, so they now are just sticking on a decal that says, "Not designed for a vented dryer"...

So, measure your dryer space depth. If there is enough space for the dryer, the dryer hose AND for the door to close, you'll be OK if you CAREFULLY install a dryer vent.... On the other hand, if there's not enough depth to the cabinet, you're "not going to have a happy DW if the door won't close and she bumps into it every time she walks around the bed......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 04:15 PM   #3
FT_RV_Wife's_Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
On some "front closet dryer spaces" in fifth wheels a couple years ago, the closet cabinet was not designed to be deep enough to house a dryer with the vent hose behind it. Apparently, Keystone designed the closet space for the depth of the washer/dryer, but failed to consider the extra inches required for the dryer vent. The issue: Everything would fit, but the washer/dryer door would not close because the appliances needed to sit 4" from the front wall to accommodate the dryer vent hose. On a couple of trailers, Keystone rebuilt the cabinet space, then came out with a retrofit kit to install during the warranty period if a new owner complained. After the warranty expired, it wasn't Keystone's problem any longer.

It sounds like they decided that was too expensive, so they now are just sticking on a decal that says, "Not designed for a vented dryer"...

So, measure your dryer space depth. If there is enough space for the dryer, the dryer hose AND for the door to close, you'll be OK if you CAREFULLY install a dryer vent.... On the other hand, if there's not enough depth to the cabinet, you're "not going to have a happy DW if the door won't close and she bumps into it every time she walks around the bed......
Thanks so much for your response. I was able to drill the hole no problem today. (It went in easily in the spot usually used in you tube videos for 5th wheel bedroom closet installation).

Thanks again!
FT_RV_Wife's_Idea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuzion, vent