Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2013, 12:21 AM   #1
TandE

First trip in the trailer

The DW and I just took our new trailer out this weekend for the first time (a little more than a month wait to use it was TORTURE!)

We stayed close to home only about 30 miles away at deception pass state park and everything went very well. Towing was a breeze. Close to the drive in movie theater (20min) Only a few concerns but not bad at all.

1) had a bit of a moisture issue the first night as the windows were completely covered on the inside but that was my fault for not cracking a vent open at night. The second night I opened a vent in the bathroom and had hardly any on the windows but a bit more in the sleeping quarters since they are on opposite side of the trailer. Going to invest in a dehumidifier to help out.

2) at night the furnace seemed to run quite a bit. It was low to mid 40's with a little wind so I expected it to run but wasn't expecting it to kick on every 9-15 min. Is that normal?

3) the dog didn't seem to like our home away from home. I partially think it is because of the rocking of the trailer while walking in it, new smells she is not used to, the furnace kicking on at night, and since she is an inside dog she hates non carpeted floors.

4) the DW hates the factory mattress which is understandable.

All in all I am very happy with it but can see how having large black and grey water tanks would help if boon docking for extended periods of time as our gray tank level showed 2/3 full on the display after a day and a half of use. Showers were short and the water shut off except for wetting and rinsing. Just have to figure out a system for doing dishes now.

All in all everything worked mechanically. Can't wait to spend more time camping this year!
TandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:57 AM   #2
lindy46

If thermostat was set to 65 degrees, you're maintaining a 20+ degree temp distance and the furnace will kick on and off frequently. We use a small electric space heater at night to save on propane, and it significantly reduces the time the furnace operates.
lindy46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:04 AM   #3
ftwildernessguy

A memory foam mattress topper makes a huge difference.

X2 on the ceramic space heater.

You can pick up some carpet runners pretty inexpensively which will help with the bare floor feel.
ftwildernessguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:10 AM   #4
GaryWT

The heater does tend to run some depend on the internal setting of the thermostat where it keeps it close to the setting or if it lets it drop 3-5 degrees below the setting before coming on. I always leave the fan on so the heat or AC coming on is not a major noise change at night. You will get moisture with the heat on. With vents open like you did should work. We do not camp enough with heat to do anything else. Try a mattress topper from Wally World or other for better sleep.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:22 AM   #5
ohiohideout

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindy46 View Post
If thermostat was set to 65 degrees, you're maintaining a 20+ degree temp distance and the furnace will kick on and off frequently. We use a small electric space heater at night to save on propane, and it significantly reduces the time the furnace operates.
^^What he/she said! We actually use a radiator style space heater for safety since we have kids but it heats up the space pretty well. Be aware that depending on where you plug in the space heater and what amperage service you plug into outside, you may pop a breaker if you use the Microwave at the same time.
ohiohideout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:53 AM   #6
yeabuddy

Quote:
We use a small electric space heater at night to save on propane, and it significantly reduces the time the furnace operates.
Us too. We've had success with this...
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping.../27289#reviews
Efficient, safe and the oscillation really helps to spread out the heat.
yeabuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:19 AM   #7
SteveC7010

The trailer should not be rocking that much. Check the threads on stabilizers for hints and tips about firming up your setup. Wheel chocks are essential along with proper use of stabilizers. BAL's, SteadyFast's, or J-T's are optional but do add a higher degree of stability. Use the search function for lots of info.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:44 AM   #8
TandE

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I never thought about using a space heater to help out and i even have one that i might be able to use. Just have to check it out not sure if it is a ceramic one or not or if it even has enough heat output. On those same lines where would be the best place to put it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC7010 View Post
The trailer should not be rocking that much. Check the threads on stabilizers for hints and tips about firming up your setup. Wheel chocks are essential along with proper use of stabilizers. BAL's, SteadyFast's, or J-T's are optional but do add a higher degree of stability. Use the search function for lots of info.
I do have the BAL X-chocks and used them but as you said i need to read up on the stabilizers as i am not sure how much rocking is to be expected in a trailer as this is our first one. But i do feel as it was a bit much as if any one walked around the trailer would rock.

As for the bare floors We do have one runner in there now but are looking at putting in at least one more for the pooch. I do believe most of it was because she was in a strange place but time will tell she is spoiled thats for sure.
TandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:58 AM   #9
Festus2
Site Team

If you camp and have access to electricity, using an electric space heater should help reduce the moisture/condensation problem with your windows. When you use your propane stove, you may notice condensation building up on your windows if you do not have some fresh air circulation inside the RV. The same is true to some extent when your propane furnace is operating.

When considering a space heater, you might want to look into one of the smaller, oil-filled models as they seem to give off a more even and "quiet" heat. They do, however, take a bit longer to warm up. This time of year may prove to be difficult to find heaters on the shelves of stores. Some folks have two heaters going, one in the bedroom area and another elsewhere but you may find this too warm for sleeping.

Placement of the heater somewhat depends on the layout of your TT. We try to place ours near the center of the unit when going to bed for the night and out of the way of "traffic" during the day.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:52 AM   #10
Bugle Boy

Quote:
We use a small space heater too. The electric is usually in the campsite fee but the propane cost is our of your pocket.

Caution: DO NOT use an extension cord with the electric heater.
2014 Cougar 31RKS
TV 2012 Ford F250

https://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps6b1f8d57.jpg
Bugle Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:10 AM   #11
fla-gypsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandE View Post
The DW and I just took our new trailer out this weekend for the first time (a little more than a month wait to use it was TORTURE!)

We stayed close to home only about 30 miles away at deception pass state park and everything went very well. Towing was a breeze. Close to the drive in movie theater (20min) Only a few concerns but not bad at all.

1) had a bit of a moisture issue the first night as the windows were completely covered on the inside but that was my fault for not cracking a vent open at night. The second night I opened a vent in the bathroom and had hardly any on the windows but a bit more in the sleeping quarters since they are on opposite side of the trailer. Going to invest in a dehumidifier to help out.

2) at night the furnace seemed to run quite a bit. It was low to mid 40's with a little wind so I expected it to run but wasn't expecting it to kick on every 9-15 min. Is that normal?

3) the dog didn't seem to like our home away from home. I partially think it is because of the rocking of the trailer while walking in it, new smells she is not used to, the furnace kicking on at night, and since she is an inside dog she hates non carpeted floors.

4) the DW hates the factory mattress which is understandable.

All in all I am very happy with it but can see how having large black and grey water tanks would help if boon docking for extended periods of time as our gray tank level showed 2/3 full on the display after a day and a half of use. Showers were short and the water shut off except for wetting and rinsing. Just have to figure out a system for doing dishes now.

All in all everything worked mechanically. Can't wait to spend more time camping this year!
As noted by others also

1&2. A small electric ceramic heater will prevent the furnace from running as much, two will keep it turned to off and they reduce condensation associated with burning LP.

3. Long TT's tend to move a lot but "between the wheel" type chocks can help this and there are other aftermarket systems that can prevent it almost completely

4. Memory Foam topper!

You have learned the first lesson of not having a sewer hook up, gray water is the limit! Small tanks are the scourge of TT's. You can use a portable waste tank to extend stays if a dump station is available. All in all sounds like a good first trip.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:17 AM   #12
apr67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
When you use your propane stove, you may notice condensation building up on your windows if you do not have some fresh air circulation inside the RV. The same is true to some extent when your propane furnace is operating.
The propane stove vents into the living area, which is why it creates moisture. A by product of propane combustion is water vapor.

The furnace and water heater however are vented to the outside, so that isn't the cause.

The cause is (I would guess) condensation, warm RV, cold outside air, the reverse of a coke bottle in the summer time.

Propane's three-carbon alkane (3CH8) is added to five molecules of oxygen (O5). When heat is applied to the mixture, combustion occurs, and the atoms begin to interact violently. The electrons and protons push and pull on each other until balance is restored, creating carbon dioxide (3CO2) and water (4H2O). This process is continued until the propane, oxygen or heat is exhausted. The combustion of propane then results in the creation of relatively large amounts of water.

Read more: Why Burning Propane Makes Water | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_6635338_bu...#ixzz2RJ915hie
apr67 is offline   Reply With Quote