Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2021, 11:16 AM   #1
hylasw

Boondocking running generator and solar suitcase

Got a question for everyone first time boon docking with no electric we are going to run our champion generator during day because we have dogs and need the a.c. running at night we would like to watch tv using our inverter running off batterys (We have 2 golf cart batterys).

My question is will our 2012 High Country cougar 5th wheel charge our battery s good enough when we have our RV plugged into our generators during the day when we have a.c. going.
Our should a person put battery s on a 100 watt solar suitcase as well ?
Also can you have Batterys wired to rv and have generator on plus have 100 watt solar suitcase wired to battery s to charge them at same time ???
hylasw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 11:39 AM   #2
travelin texans

I'm no electrical wiz by a long shot, but I don't think you'll be running an A/C for every long, if at all, on an inverter with only 2 batteries, without the generator running non stop.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 12:19 PM   #3
GilaElkHunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I'm no electrical wiz by a long shot, but I don't think you'll be running an A/C for every long, if at all, on an inverter with only 2 batteries, without the generator running non stop.
Maybe you should reread the OP's post, he never said he was going to run the A/C on an inverter. He said he was going to run the generator for the A/C during the day for the dogs. And wants to know if it will charge his batteries enough.

To answer the OP's question, I would hook up that 100 watt solar panel (yes you can use both solar and converter/charger at the same time) just be sure it has a charge controller on it, and you should be good to go.
2019 High Country 310RE
Andersen Ultimate hitch
Sailun S637 tires
GilaElkHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 02:11 PM   #4
Canonman

There is no need to use the solar while operating the generator. If your generator is 3,500 watts or better, it should start and run the AC. While the A/C is running, the generator will also supply the necessary current to charge your batteries using the onboard converter.
Watching TV in the evening does not draw much power at all.
Solar is mostly out of the picture when using the generator.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MGL8357.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	278.5 KB
ID:	34853  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 03:10 PM   #5
GilaElkHunter

The converter/charger does not charge very fast, and depending how low the batteries get and how long you run the generator it may not keep up. 100 watts of solar isn't much either but it sure will help. Solar should never be out of the picture. It is free energy take advantage of it.
2019 High Country 310RE
Andersen Ultimate hitch
Sailun S637 tires
GilaElkHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 05:04 PM   #6
Canonman

I would disagree with Elk Hunter that the converter "does not charge very fast".
According to the WFCO web site, (they make the most widely used RV converter) "The WF-8955 model provides 55 Amps and a clean, constant 13.6 VDC nominal output, for reliable operation of electronics and appliances. Automatic three-stage charging extends the life of your battery with output voltage modes of 13.2 VDC range “float” mode, 13.6 VDC range “absorption” mode, and a 14.4 VDC range “bulk” charge mode."
This is more than sufficient for topping off the house batteries especially when you consider the expected runtime of the generator per the OP's statement. Solar is a great stand alone option but the charging capability of a 100w panel compared to a 55 amp converter is minimal that at best generates about 5 amps and 12 to 14 volts. We currently use a 200w portable solar unit and while we have a generator, we have not needed to use it to keep our batteries topped off. That said, if we were to use the generator to run the A/C we wouldn't need to also use the solar. The generator would be more than capable of charging the batteries without the need to add the solar. Just to keep things simple we either use one or the other, depending on the need.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0207 (1).jpg
Views:	89
Size:	374.8 KB
ID:	34855  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 06:04 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaElkHunter View Post
Maybe you should reread the OP's post, he never said he was going to run the A/C on an inverter. He said he was going to run the generator for the A/C during the day for the dogs. And wants to know if it will charge his batteries enough.

To answer the OP's question, I would hook up that 100 watt solar panel (yes you can use both solar and converter/charger at the same time) just be sure it has a charge controller on it, and you should be good to go.
You can't use solar and the converter/charger at the same time. The WFCO converter/charger monitors for "online voltage" and charges the batteries based on that voltage. If you have a solar charger connected to the batteries, whether it's a 5 watt or a 500 watt solar system, if it provides greater than 13.2 volts to the battery terminals, that voltage will "shut off charging from the converter/charger' because the voltage sensed puts the charge circuits into "trickle mode".

So, use one type charger at a time. Otherwise, any "automatic charger" will sense the voltage output of the other charger and shut itself off to prevent overcharging the batteries.....

Realistically, if the OP is running his generator to operate the air conditioner during the day, there likely would not be much other "12 volt draw" from the converter. With a WFCO 8955, there's 55 amps available to charge the system minus the parasitic drains from the trailer systems. A 100 watt solar panel at 13.6 VDC has a "amp capacity" of 7.35 VDC. so in essence, what he'd be doing is "shutting off a 50+ amp charger to use a 7 amp charger... That would take a significantly longer time to top off a couple of golf cart batteries than using the "built in 55 amp charging system.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 11:57 AM   #8
BookPaul74

Quote:
Originally Posted by hylasw View Post
Got a question for everyone first time boon docking with no electric we are going to run our champion generator during day because we have dogs and need the a.c. running at night we would like to watch tv using our inverter running off batterys (We have 2 golf cart batterys).

My question is will our 2012 High Country cougar 5th wheel charge our battery s good enough when we have our RV plugged into our generators during the day when we have a.c. going.
Our should a person put battery s on a 100 watt solar suitcase as well ?
Also can you have Batterys wired to rv and have generator on plus have 100 watt solar suitcase wired to battery s to charge them at same time ???
I’m thinking it’s all speculation until hylsaw let’s us know what “generators” he’s has and using. Sounds like two generators in parallel.

I replaced the 55 amp charger with a Progressive Dynamics 80 Amp Converter with Charge Wizard to speed things up.
BookPaul74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking, generator, solar