Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2021, 09:54 AM   #1
jasin1

Truck thefts

https://www.mysuncoast.com/2021/07/0...-happy-ending/

With the price of trucks going up and inventory low the used truck market is going thru the roof…keep a close eye on your trucks and keep them locked and alarms on if you have them…I read that certain year Ford superdutys are very easy to steal so wouldn’t hurt to have some backup security options installed.
There is a story of a couple last month that had there TV and trailer stolen while they slept at a motel overnight…I know car thefts have always been a problem but trucks are really scarce right now.
Old 07-22-2021, 01:50 PM   #2
Laredo Tugger

Agreed Jasin.
I do the best I can with lock up and alarm and live in a pretty safe neighborhood. One thing I do (for protection from weather) is cover the truck. It only takes less than a minute and adds another "layer" of theft protection, anything to slow them down, correct?
Another hot item (for thieves) are the cat converters. I know where I used to store my trailer they had reported (at that time two months ago) 6 cat converters stolen. One poor guy jumped into his Class C, fired it up and whooa..,What was that noise? Straight pipe exhaust! The motor wasn't the only thing fired up. He was hot headed all the way home where he intended to violate the ordinance addressing parking RVs in front of residences. Can't blame him really.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 02:23 PM   #3
notanlines

Honestly, while I appreciate the heads up, I pretty much let Geico worry about the theft and I just refuse to get all 'anal' about these things. Know what I've got for the people whose truck/car alarms go off and nobody's around? In the dozens, maybe hundreds of auto alarms you've heard go off, has there even been one instance where there was a desperado nearby?
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 04:28 PM   #4
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Honestly, while I appreciate the heads up, I pretty much let Geico worry about the theft and I just refuse to get all 'anal' about these things. Know what I've got for the people whose truck/car alarms go off and nobody's around? In the dozens, maybe hundreds of auto alarms you've heard go off, has there even been one instance where there was a desperado nearby?
I hear ya Jim ..I agree but these are different times…if your truck goes missing you can’t just cruise on down to the dealer and pick up another one easily..I’m not anal about these things lol I am just passing the word along after seeing it on KYD rv channel ..and car alarms are like crying kids….it’s just noise to everyone else but a parent knows when it’s there kid crying…if I’m close enough to hear my truck alarm go off believe me I’m gonna be on top of it.
Old 07-22-2021, 05:09 PM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Brian where we live we would be arrested if we attempted to stop someone from taking your truck.

I recall working in Balto. City back in the 1980's one night doing electrical work on a huge 4 color printing press. I was told that theives had been stealing batteries out of the cars. I went outside to get domething and sure enough there's someone under my hood! Long story short but when the cops arrived the scumbag was yelling at the cop yo arrest me because I broke both of his arms. The officer said "no he didn't, you did that when you ran away from me and fell down." That was then. Nowdays I'd be arrested and have to pay his medical bills.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 05:16 PM   #6
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Brian where we live we would be arrested if we attempted to stop someone from taking your truck.

I recall working in Balto. City back in the 1980's one night doing electrical work on a huge 4 color printing press. I was told that theives had been stealing batteries out of the cars. I went outside to get domething and sure enough there's someone under my hood! Long story short but when the cops arrived the scumbag was yelling at the cop yo arrest me because I broke both of his arms. The officer said "no he didn't, you did that when you ran away from me and fell down." That was then. Nowdays I'd be arrested and have to pay his medical bills.
..yes I guess your both right…I remember watching a video when I had my Escalade …they were known to be easy to brake the locking steering wheel…the guy got out of his caddy and was walking towards the store and when he was about 50 feet away they were already stealing his vehicle..they broke in and disabled the locking steering wheel and used another vehicle to push it around the block so they could get it running I guess…not much you can do if someone wants something bad enough…I personally wouldn’t want something back after it’s been on a Joyride and thrashed..
But like I said you can’t just go buy another one because none are available
Old 07-22-2021, 05:53 PM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

If someone wants it bad enough there's very little that will stop them. Cars get stolen from "secure lots" all the time.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 04:11 AM   #8
{tpc}

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
If someone wants it bad enough there's very little that will stop them. Cars get stolen from "secure lots" all the time.
Its kinda like rekeying common locks on RV's, if someone wants to get in there bad enough, a crowbar is going to do the trick and a lot more damage along the way.

I make sure to not make it that desirable to break into my things, by not leaving stuff in plain view that would entice a would be thief. However, I can't help it if they want the truck. Thats why I pay for insurance right?

This chip shortage thing does suck right now though.