Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2021, 07:41 AM   #1
Camping family

Camp ground off 77 in west va

We will be making our first long trip. Traveling from Jacksonville, Nc to upper Michigan. This is a 2 part question.
1. Looking for a camp ground for over night stay as close to off 77 in west va. Pulling rig in description.
2. How many hours do the majority of you drive on long trips? I am not one to drive the speed limit while pulling the 5th wheel 55-60 is my max. So I’m thinking 350 miles is about an 7-8 hour haul.
Any and all suggestions I will take. Thank you everyone
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 08:09 AM   #2
JDDilly

I don't know about a camp ground for you, but this is our travel schedule. It kind of depends on what time of the year and what the goal is. When I leave Minnesota after Christmas, we want to get south to warmer weather so we can do a night stay. With my stock fuel tank, I can only go about 200 - 250 miles, which is around 4 - 5 hours. We stop to get fuel, coffee and a snack. Hang out at the truck stop, mall or other store for an hour - 1.5 hours. We then do another leg, 200 - 250 miles. Depending on the temps, we will start the generator for heat and television to take a longer break and get a nap, these stops are around 3 - 4 hours. We continue like this until we can get a site for a 2 night stay and get some better sleep and rest. This has worked for us, but as we get older, we need longer breaks to regenerate our bodies. I make sure not to drive when I am tired or restless, it sin't safe and not worth the risk.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2023 Fuzion 421
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 05:51 AM   #3
gearhead

I try to stay under 6 hours.
There is a campground in Beckley I wanted to stay at but never have: Beckley Exhibition Coal Mine RV Park.
https://www.campgroundreviews.com/re...pground-254696
campgroundreviews.com is a decent resource.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 07:53 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I try to stay under 6 hours.
There is a campground in Beckley I wanted to stay at but never have: Beckley Exhibition Coal Mine RV Park.
https://www.campgroundreviews.com/re...pground-254696
campgroundreviews.com is a decent resource.
I was thinking the same place. We stay there at least once a year as it's "half way between my daughter's place and my son's place"...

While the road into the campground is "kind of curvy" it's not too bad getting to the campground which has about 12 or 14 sites, so it's small, quiet (on the top of a hill) and restful. All sites are back-in, but fairly level and long enough to stay hitched for a "quick morning departure".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote