Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2021, 04:14 AM   #1
STJ

Truck tires

Time for new tires on the tow truck, looking for advice.
I have a 2019 Ram 2500 diesel 4x4 megacab, towing a 2019 Keystone Outback 301 UBH.
The OEM tires are Firestone Tranforce LT275/70R18 and are about 90% gone at 33000.
My local tire guys recommended Michelin Defender LTX M/S, they said they have a better milage rating than the Firestones.
Any recommendations would me great.
On a side note the right rear is worn about 25% more than the rest, the tire guys said this is because that is the tire that does most of the driving work, sounds a little fishy to me any thoughts?
STJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 04:30 AM   #2
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by STJ View Post
I have a 2019 Ram 2500 diesel 4x4 megacab, towing a 2019 Keystone Outback 301 UBH.
The OEM tires are Firestone Tranforce LT275/70R18 and are about 90% gone at 33000.
My local tire guys recommended Michelin Defender LTX M/S, they said they have a better milage rating than the Firestones.
On a side note the right rear is worn about 25% more than the rest, the tire guys said this is because that is the tire that does most of the driving work, sounds a little fishy to me any thoughts?

Michelins are always a good bet. I would stay away from aggressive off road type tread due the ride suffering. The need for M/S tires depends where you live I guess as S. TX. doesn't see a lot of mud or snow. Make sure you get load range E tires. I have Americus commerial tires with pretty much street tread and they are off brand and don't balance well. I got them because they were cheap and only use my truck for towing my camper but wish I had spent the bucks to buy premium tires. Mine are the same size in LRE.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 04:55 AM   #3
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Michelins are always a good bet. I would stay away from aggressive off road type tread due the ride suffering. The need for M/S tires depends where you live I guess as S. TX. doesn't see a lot of mud or snow. Make sure you get load range E tires. I have Americus commerial tires with pretty much street tread and they are off brand and don't balance well. I got them because they were cheap and only use my truck for towing my camper but wish I had spent the bucks to buy premium tires. Mine are the same size in LRE.
Well the reason for M/S is now days they have a lot of siping, which helps greatly with wet traction also.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 05:13 AM   #4
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Well the reason for M/S is now days they have a lot of siping, which helps greatly with wet traction also.

My tires ride OK when dry but traction not really great on wet roads.
Old 07-08-2021, 05:28 AM   #5
Jimmy240

I recently went with Atturo Trail Blaze ATS LT285/60R20's for my ram. I know it's not one of the top name brand tires, but everything I read seemed promising. It's a 12ply tire rated at 3640lbs max load per tire and a 50k mile warranty. So far I've only put 4,000 miles on them so it's still too early to make a judgement call on them overall. I'm happy with them so far and for $831.00 out the door, you can't beat it for a 20in wheel.
Jimmy240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 05:51 AM   #6
roadglide

Quote:
The Duramax came with Michelin defenders same size as yours. I got 4 the same tires again for my trip coming up . Discount tires I found to be the best price with the newest date manufactured. I tow a lot and rotated often with 48,000 miles on the original. There’s 65,000 mile warranty it wasn’t for towing I would get another 10,000. Your dealer is telling you right along with all the other tire dealers and going as far to say they have Fewer flats.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 06:36 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

I currently have Michelin tires on my truck. I've had them on several cars and trucks over the years. My impression is yhey can't be beat for the wear. They seem to last forever but that comes at the expense of traction. Every set I've owned seemed to loose wet traction at a disproportionate rate vs tread depth. The set on my truck (IIRC 275/18/70 LRE) were terrible in mud or wet grass from day one.
YMMV
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 07:28 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

My 2015 F250 came with Michelin LTX AT tires, 275 70R18 LRE. They lasted around 45,000 miles and probably would have gone another 10-15K. We live in northern Michigan and with winter coming, I needed new tires, not because they were "worn out" but because I needed better tread for ice/snow conditions just a month away.

In 2019, the cost for new Michelins was almost $1300. I did some research and came across a couple of posts on this forum about Sailun Terramax AT4 tires. I checked pricing at WalMart and it was "just over $600 for a set of 4. That's less than half the price of the Michelin LTX. After more research, I decided to "take the chance".

My reasoning was, I got 45K with Michelin, the Sailuns are half the price, so if I get 22K on them, I'd "break even" and in a couple years, I could change tires if needed... So, the "risk" was minimal, based on "saving money considerations".

I installed them in August, 2019 and have about 23,000 miles on them now. I've rotated them every 5K. They have performed better in winter driving conditions than the Michelins, they have better "wet road traction" and they are SIGNIFICANTLY less noise at highway speeds. As for wear, visually, they appear to be wearing with no appreciable tread loss. When measured, all 4 tires show about 2mm to 3mm of tread wear. With 17/32 (13.5mm) tread depth (new) and 3mm for 23K miles, that calculates to a "WAG mileage" of around 7K per mm. So, wearing them down to around 10mm would mean 7mm at 7K/mm or around 49-50K as a reasonable tire life span.

Based on the performance I'm getting, if it continues as it has for the past 2 years, I'd suspect that I'll replace my Sailuns with more Sailuns.....

At WalMart, right now, the price for 4 is $640 and lifetime mount/balance with road hazard warranty adds $102 for a total of $742 before taxes, still less than half the price of Michelin LTX AT tires.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 10:57 AM   #9
jasin1

Quote:
Michelin’s are good. I went with a little bit taller/wider tire on my old ram 2500..liked the look a little better. ..Speedo was off a little but not much

And as far as the right rear tire? Because no posi traction that is the go fast tire ..lol. I’m sure you know that’s the first tire to break loose when accelerating from a dead stop..when wet they break loose and you may not notice it all the time…when at a dead stop that’s the tire that gets the whole train rolling and has the most torque on it …. Many many cars and trucks of mine had the same suspicious wear pattern lol….better to rotate them often
Old 07-08-2021, 11:07 AM   #10
dutchmensport

Quote:
Actually, this does not sound to unreasonable. Think about this? Almost every road in the USA is built on an arch, with the middle of the road the top of the arch and the sides the bottom of the arch. You are always driving with your vehicle pulling toward the side of the road. I never realized how unlevel (side to side) roads are until I put a bubble level on the pin box of my fifth wheel and I can now see how much the trailer actually leans when towing through the rear view mirror, and how really sloped some roads are.

With that said, it makes sense that the right rear would fight traction the most. The rear is the drive wheels (not the steering wheels), and the low side is going to push and have the most traction resistance. So yes, that tire is the one that takes the most wear. That's why tire rotation is so important.
Old 07-08-2021, 11:09 AM   #11
NMRandy

I had 2 sets of firestones, and both wore out quickly, (less than 30k). I switched to Toyo all terrains, and have over 50k on them and are less than half worn. They are low noise level. They also make a highway tread tire. Their all terrain commercial tire is much louder, noise wise, (my brother has a set, and doesn't like them for that reason). I went up 2 sizes from stock,(from 265/60r20 to 275\65r20). It upped my load rating, and now my speedo is correct. They are all the money, but worth it.
NMRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 11:26 AM   #12
notanlines

I also will go to the side of Michelins or Sailuns. The 450 came with Continental HSR's, retailing in the $450 range. I'll probably try Sailun this time around at about 60-65K. Continentals have gotten a little too rich for my blood.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 03:51 PM   #13
NMRandy

Sailuns are a third tier, economy tire. Reviews on them say they wear quickly, and have poor wet traction. Tire failures are the reason for traffic accidents, and rollover accidents frequently. I feel tires are the most important safety feature on my vehicle. I simply will not try to save money on tires for my TV. I rarely wear them past 40% tread depth. I am ok with them on the RV, but not the TV.
Old 07-16-2021, 12:33 AM   #14
DaveDasher

Have you tried Nitto ridge Grappler tires? I've heard that they're also good, especially for trucks. My brother has a set and he's never had any problems with them.
DaveDasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 07:09 AM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDasher View Post
Have you tried Nitto ridge Grappler tires? I've heard that they're also good, especially for trucks. My brother has a set and he's never had any problems with them.

The problem with that Nitto tire is that it's not really for towing. The tread design is more for off road traction which conversely means less pavement traction = which is what you want when towing a trailer. I've lost count of the many sets of off road tires I've purchased over the years but a couple of things that held true for all of them; wet pavement traction was terrible and so was the mileage you got out of them.

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/b...SABEgI9J_D_BwE
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 07:34 AM   #16
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
The problem with that Nitto tire is that it's not really for towing. The tread design is more for off road traction which conversely means less pavement traction = which is what you want when towing a trailer. I've lost count of the many sets of off road tires I've purchased over the years but a couple of things that held true for all of them; wet pavement traction was terrible and so was the mileage you got out of them.

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/b...SABEgI9J_D_BwE
For that price of $335 for 4 tires you could buy 1 1/2 - 2 sets of Michelins! I paid about that total price for 6 Michelins on my last dually.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 07:44 AM   #17
notanlines

Randy, your comments seem to be parroting reviewstires.com if I'm not mistaken. You'll notice all their popups are coming from their leading tire brands and their 'comments' also all use very similar language, using words such as 'Jello-like.' I'm very wary of this site.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 07:45 AM   #18
Badbart56

I currently have Goodyear Trail Runners on my dually and have 54K miles on them. They are a 65K mile tire and it looks like they will make it that far. They have worn evenly with 7500 mile rotations and they're a quiet tire, even with the M&S tread design. As for traction they do well under braking wet or dry. Traction under acceleration seems good but with 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs of torque I can make them break loose at will. Would I buy them again? Yes, unless I go with Michelins. But I don't feel the Michelins would serve me any better. Especially for the price difference.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 09:42 AM   #19
wiredgeorge

Nothing like a set of macho off road tires to make your one ton ride like a dream! I had a set of Toyo dirt tires on my truck when I got it and they made me tired (pun intended) from the noise and miserable ride. Not much point in those type tires unless you get off the road with your truck.
Old 07-16-2021, 04:59 PM   #20
NMRandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Randy, your comments seem to be parroting reviewstires.com if I'm not mistaken. You'll notice all their popups are coming from their leading tire brands and their 'comments' also all use very similar language, using words such as 'Jello-like.' I'm very wary of this site.
Shoes and tires ... You usually get what you pay for.

I service cars and light trucks for a living.

I base my opinion on experience. I have bought cheap tires that didn't last 15k. I have installed cheap tires on a friends F550 that didn't last 20k, (he went back to the Continentals). I use Toyos, (the AT's are not loud, The MT's are!), and usually get 50k, and replace them at 6/32". And then there is safety and performance. I hope you have better luck with your Sailuns.

I do use 2nd tier tires on my trailers, always load range D or better, and radial, at max cold pressure, and have good luck with them.

Tags
tires