Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2021, 01:02 PM   #1
jasin1

Trouble for overloaded trucks

Could be trouble towing through North Carolina with a 1/2 ton truck lol
They are passing a law to ban any truck that is modified to be 2 inches lower in the back and 3 inches higher in the front
Wondering if attaching a overloaded trailer or fifth wheel would count as “modified”

Never did understand this truck “fashion statement” https://www.thedrive.com/news/40913/...quatted-trucks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DBACEE3E-BE40-4F30-8A45-F00BF6D51591.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	201.9 KB
ID:	34563   Click image for larger version

Name:	C39CCD83-7B54-4EEF-8520-A30017CBA768.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	34564   Click image for larger version

Name:	834D217C-6E1B-4B3C-98E2-3F09442E0B52.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	34565  
Old 07-07-2021, 01:20 PM   #2
crk112

I'm torn between

"that looks completely ridiculous and nobody in their right mind should do it" ... and "the North Carolina legislature sure has their priorities mixed up"
"The Cabin v2" 2016 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS
Fastway e2 round bar WDH
crk112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 01:24 PM   #3
notanlines

Jasin, think back to the days when you were a 'dumb-***.' (Oh, yes you were. Your dad and uncles all laughed and said so.) Kids that age are mainly interested in anything that makes old farts shake their heads and say "There aughta be a law!"
Yes, most of us have been there and then, one day, that ripe old age of about 30 (or so) rolls around and it kind of goes away...but not completely.
I can assure you that John's Slingshot has seen speeds faster than 70 (), Jerry's bike has also not always run the straight and narrow. Chuckster? Danny? Well, we already know. I could go on and on.
Let 'em roll coal, jack the trucks, drop trou past their butt-cracks and tattoo every inch of their body.
Try not to let it bother you. It only puts a smile on their face.

On edit: I still don't have a clear picture on Marshall and George, but I have a good idea.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 01:38 PM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Jasin, think back to the days when you were a 'dumb-***.' (Oh, yes you were. Your dad and uncles all laughed and said so.) Kids that age are mainly interested in anything that makes old farts shake their heads and say "There aughta be a law!"
Yes, most of us have been there and then, one day, that ripe old age of about 30 (or so) rolls around and it kind of goes away...but not completely.
I can assure you that John's Slingshot has seen speeds faster than 70 (), Jerry's bike has also not always run the straight and narrow. Chuckster? Danny? Well, we already know. I could go on and on.
Let 'em roll coal, jack the trucks, drop trou past their butt-cracks and tattoo every inch of their body.

On edit: I still don't have a clear picture on Marshall and George, but I have a good idea.
Don't look at me, I've ALWAYS been an angel! But watch out for that "other guy", I heard he's a trouble maker!
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 01:39 PM   #5
jasin1

Quote:

Oh believe me I’m young for my age lol. I’ve made many many questionable decisions and fashion choices in my life….yes I get it …I listen to the same music as my kids …25 and 28..they get there love of music from me ( I’m always in touch with good music) .I don’t look down on anyone and I like to laugh at things in life .. I just found it a FUNNY truck mod ..doesn’t bother me though..
It is one of the few vehicle mods other then loud exhaust that I can think of that compelled a law to be written though
Old 07-07-2021, 01:55 PM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

The kids that DON'T act out are the ones I watch. Ever see the media interview neighbors of a serial killer? You typically hear "he seemed like such a nice guy", "he was always freindly". So as long as "they" (kids with hair the color of pen highlighters, or faces peirced like a fly fishing hat, or tats that look like a NY subway car, or open pipe Harleys, or jacked up vehichles) don't pose a threat I'm all good with how they spend their money. Even the load exhaust or load music doesn't bother me as I know they will be moving along looking for attention. Often I'll give them some "positive reinforcement " by smiling, waving, and pointing while laughing and saying to the DW "hey hun, do you see that idiot over there?"
Old 07-07-2021, 02:23 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:

It certainly has !!!! (the speed limit on the rural interstates in Michigan is 75 MPH... And as for roads like Jerry's bike sees, the SlingShot runs 'em like a "gocart on rails" (until it doesn't) That was the reason for the 5 point harnesses to replace the 3 point "backwards belts".... Makes it easier to hold onto the steering wheel through the turns when you're not holding onto the panic grips to keep from being thrown out.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 02:54 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Yeah, back in the day it was “mandatory” to reach 100mph on any road long enough to do it. I did take an on-ramp (Bernal Ave to 680 N) and 75 once to out run Pleasanton PD. Yeah I made it, and my buddy and me made a HUGE loop on 680-580 to Livermore. Came back into town and stopped at the burger joint. Started laughing about what we did, didn’t notice the cop in the next booth. He stood up and said “that was you guys”?

I was raised to take responsibility for my actions and said “yes”, he said “when you didn’t wipe out on the on ramp, I figured you were good to go”. We all agreed it wouldn’t happen again, and THAT stunt never did.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 04:24 PM   #9
ronheater70

I Live in NC and while I believe in having the opportunity to express oneself, this trucks are pretty common now down here. If I understand, it may be because the front is so High that the lights are an issue blinding people and also they may have a tendency to run up on a car in an accident and miss the crumple zones..On the other hand most lifted trucks and my stock 1 ton would also do the same thing so Im not sure.. I think they look stupid. It must have started when Jim Bob bought a second hand lift off billy and the rear wouldn't bolt up so he left it that way with the front jacked up sky high until he could afford to lift the rear proper..which never happened and fad was started.. I dunno everyone has different taste..
Old 07-07-2021, 04:28 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

^^^^Ain't it the truth! I've done some stuff; lucky and thankful I'm still around. Like Chuck said it "seemed" mandatory that on a bike you had to crank it up to "see what it had". Funny but back then those stripes going by at 100+(for any reason) on 2 thin tires seemed like fun.....don't know that I want to do that nowadays.

Took a trip up to Carlsbad Caverns with a friend on our bikes. Coming down it is twisty curvy - a slow road for cars. We had it hammered and flying. Passed an oncoming National Parks law enforcement pickup and he turned around (slowly) with his lights on. Couldn't possibly catch us and was disappearing fast when I motioned my friend to pull over to "do what's right". The Ranger got to us, got out and came to see us. First words were "why did you stop"? Told him we saw his lights and were supposed to stop. Nicest guy; he said he just wanted to tell us it was dangerous to drive that fast on that road because other vehicles would not see us and did not expect it....that's it.

I kept getting taps on my shoulder from the time I was 16 - the taps just kept getting harder until they got my attention (extremely hard head). At 32 I finally got the message but by then I had messed up enough piece parts it's made the last several decades really interesting. And to Jim's point of just trying to not let some of the silly things bother you; I try but sometimes it does "in the moment" - but you need to.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 04:56 PM   #11
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
I Live in NC and while I believe in having the opportunity to express oneself, this trucks are pretty common now down here. If I understand, it may be because the front is so High that the lights are an issue blinding people and also they may have a tendency to run up on a car in an accident and miss the crumple zones..On the other hand most lifted trucks and my stock 1 ton would also do the same thing so Im not sure.. I think they look stupid. It must have started when Jim Bob bought a second hand lift off billy and the rear wouldn't bolt up so he left it that way with the front jacked up sky high until he could afford to lift the rear proper..which never happened and fad was started.. I dunno everyone has different taste..
I think it may be forward sight, limited due to lifted front end. I would also assume there have been crashes that were a result of limited sight distance.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 08:27 PM   #12
vampress_me

The nose high trucks, I just have to shake my head and giggle a little. Boys spending money on whatever they can for attention (or is it to see who can look the most ridiculous?). It reminds me of the low pants/ showing off underwear fad - we got a good laugh when a group of guys were trying to run across the street in Denver once - and they all had to hold their pants up so as to not lose them while trying to run.

Also, I think you all should have lived in MT when “reasonable and prudent” was the speed limit. It was great - as long as it was after sun up and before sun down, because overnight the speed limit was 65mph. But, it was fun to set cruise control on the mustang at 105 mph and get from Missoula to Gillette, WY in 6.5 hrs...although the bum did pucker a little the first time I passed a highway patrol car like he was standing still.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 02:31 AM   #13
notanlines

I need to apologize, it seems I have left out a few names, Russ and Lynette among them! All in good fun...
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 04:33 AM   #14
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
As you're from the great state of NC perhaps you answer my question. Why do they need a law? Do they not have any "inspeftion laws" for basic safety? Here in MD there's a required state inspection required before getting tags. In other states it's a yearly requirement. If a vehicle's headlights are out or out of adjustment a LEO can i@ue a warning with 30 days to rectify (proof of a shop reciept for headlight alighnment required) or a citation. In eithrr case, if not rectified in 30 days the tag gets revoked. There are other applicable laws here as well including bumber height, ubstructed view, etc.
Old 07-08-2021, 04:42 AM   #15
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
As you're from the great state of NC perhaps you answer my question. Why do they need a law? Do they not have any "inspeftion laws" for basic safety? Here in MD there's a required state inspection required before getting tags. In other states it's a yearly requirement. If a vehicle's headlights are out or out of adjustment a LEO can i@ue a warning with 30 days to rectify (proof of a shop reciept for headlight alighnment required) or a citation. In eithrr case, if not rectified in 30 days the tag gets revoked. There are other applicable laws here as well including bumber height, ubstructed view, etc.

Marshall, Take a sec and proof what you wrote... hard to follow a bit. And after parsing your post it made me glad I no longer live in the Peoples Republic of Maryland! God bless Texas. BTW: We have a yearly inspection but not as rigorous as MD and the state has recently jumped on inspection stations to adhere to all the state criteria or they loose their inspection station status. Used to be when I got my truck inspected I would drive in, hand the guy my insurance card and $7 and drive out but now they actually test drive to see if it steers and brakes, lights and horn, etc. They even check to see if the license tag light works and that stupid 3rd light over the cab both red and white parts of the light. Gosh, we are becoming another MD!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 06:17 AM   #16
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Marshall, Take a sec and proof what you wrote... hard to follow a bit. And after parsing your post it made me glad I no longer live in the Peoples Republic of Maryland! God bless Texas. BTW: We have a yearly inspection but not as rigorous as MD and the state has recently jumped on inspection stations to adhere to all the state criteria or they loose their inspection station status. Used to be when I got my truck inspected I would drive in, hand the guy my insurance card and $7 and drive out but now they actually test drive to see if it steers and brakes, lights and horn, etc. They even check to see if the license tag light works and that stupid 3rd light over the cab both red and white parts of the light. Gosh, we are becoming another MD!
Gearge, so sorry to hear that you're cognitive skills are declining at the same time Texas decided to enter the 21 st century.
Old 07-08-2021, 07:52 AM   #17
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Gearge, so sorry to hear that you're cognitive skills are declining at the same time Texas decided to enter the 21 st century.
Well, we now have Constitutional Carry so there! We left MD back in the early 80s as quickly as I could find a job elsewhere (working for Fed) as there were too many murders, drive by shootings and car jackings in our area and HUD had purchased every home nearby and the folks moving in were unsavory to say the least. About my cognitive skills... never had any after working for the Fed for 27 years but I sure could play solitaire!

I conceed on the concealed carry. Just jot possible in the "Peoples Republic" here.

EVERYPLACE with a population has crime, some places more than their share The Balt/Wash corridor is bad and it's a shame to witness the decline over the years. Working tor the Feds that long don't you automatically qualify for PTSD diability?

I know using this new tablet is like looking ahead 30 years on what I'm going to sound like. I hate this thing. I finally gave up on my Microsoft Surface and this Android Sumsang tablet has been a PIA to get acclimated 6o.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 09:52 AM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

I've never studied about inspection requirements in NC but I have in FL. As much as I love the state and folks they don't require inspections (like NM) and the violations of just plain common sense are astounding. Whether no lights, crazy lifts/drops without compensating the headlights, exhaust - you name it, many of the vehicles are just flat dangerous. Due to bad eyesight (getting fixed as we speak) I don't like to drive at night but in FL I flat will not go out, nor let DW out, after dark because so many folks drive without headlights, taillights, etc. A real mess IMO.

On the other hand, where we stay there are lots of folks that live from hand to mouth so I figure they have to have transportation to get to/from their work (which obviously doesn't pay much) and need some sort of transportation so it's kind of a bad situation. Most are good, hard working folks but just don't have much so I hate to judge lest I be in their shoes.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 10:48 AM   #19
chuckster57
Site Team

One thing Ca doesn’t have is annual inspections. With all the other ridiculous fees I do pay I’m happy for that. On the other hand it’s scary to see what’s on the roads here.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 11:26 AM   #20
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Well, we now have Constitutional Carry so there! We left MD back in the early 80s as quickly as I could find a job elsewhere (working for Fed) as there were too many murders, drive by shootings and car jackings in our area and HUD had purchased every home nearby and the folks moving in were unsavory to say the least. About my cognitive skills... never had any after working for the Fed for 27 years but I sure could play solitaire!

I conceed on the concealed carry. Just jot possible in the "Peoples Republic" here.

EVERYPLACE with a population has crime, some places more than their share The Balt/Wash corridor is bad and it's a shame to witness the decline over the years. Working tor the Feds that long don't you automatically qualify for PTSD diability?

I know using this new tablet is like looking ahead 30 years on what I'm going to sound like. I hate this thing. I finally gave up on my Microsoft Surface and this Android Sumsang tablet has been a PIA to get acclimated 6o.
Jeez! My point, edited your posrt instead of quoting it! Thus thing is frustrating.