Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2021, 03:07 PM   #1
notanlines

National Parks this summer?

This might be worth a read for you and yours to enjoy your trip a little more:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/nationa...16xkojgvhyby5k
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 04:10 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

The issues discussed that folks face; overcrowding, abuse of the parks - abuse in general is a systemic problem we all face. I love those parks; have been there multiple times but wouldn't dream of going through that/and "them" to enjoy a site. I've got lots of "where the heck" places we really like as well.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 05:52 PM   #3
roadglide

Jim I read that in Google daily news. I hope folks like my self that made reservations 6 months advance hopefully won’t have to wait hours at a guard shack getting back to camp . I have reservations at elkmont the smoky mountains August .
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 02:24 AM   #4
jwfrede

I used to make my reservations for less crowded NPs 6 months in advance, maybe 9-12 months or so for Yellowstone. I made all of this year's reservations 12 months in advance. Next year's Mar-April trip to California was booked months ago, except a couple places that wouldn't take reservations that far in advance.

If staying at private campgrounds near NPs I used to make those a couple months after the NPs. Now, everything 12 months in advance, if possible. Problem is some places don't know next year's prices so they still won't take reservations.

Gone are the days of making reservations a few weeks in advance. I even made the travel stops 6 months in advance this year.

Expect crowds, everywhere.

Fortunately I am an early person and like photography and looking for wildlife. I am typically already out somewhere before sunrise. Often I'm heading back to camp for a break when the latecomers are circling for parking spots. I expect a lot more early morning company this year but still expect to find parking spaces at 5-6 am.
jwfrede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 03:30 AM   #5
roadglide

Jeff the Smokeys are visited more then any park in America . I booked in January same spot I had 3 years ago. Elkmont there may be half dozen sites that will fit my camper . I love Elkmont the giant pines over every sight like a rain forest with fire flys in the evening. I discovered COE few years ago and use them because the sites are big and most have reservoirs . I have reserved 6 coe camp grounds along with some private areas from July to oct . This may be more crowded then the last 2 years . I think the price of fuel will keep folks home , I like photophepy it’s my memory on the road and trips sure it’s only I 8 phone. I have 2 thousand pictures with few doubles and a lot of videos . I decided to look I always have the lady help hash out the experience.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 04:47 PM   #6
GHen

I made reservations in January for September. Got the last spot in a couple cases.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 02:44 PM   #7
Campermike

Made reservations in Jan for July at Cape Hatteras national seashore... it only allows 6 month advance reservations. For the SC state park we're staying at near Myrtle Beach, we booked 13 months in advance... last June for this July.