Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2021, 09:38 AM   #1
Vinnie

License plate mount

Hey folks- dumb question here, but I couldn't find anything in the search (apparently nobody's been this dumb yet )

Fuzion 429 Toy Hauler, with the big rear garage door. It came with a wired/lighted license plate bracket, but it's mounted on the very bottom edge of the trailer, beneath the door, which would have the 95% of the plate itself extending below the framework. I can very easily see that getting bent, or ripped off entirely, by asphalt within minutes of starting the trip. Trouble is, I don't know if there's a realistic wiring solution to mount it to the exterior garage door surface.

Has anyone engineered a better solution for this?
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 10:29 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

That placement is the standard for you haulers with a ramp. Trying to make a water proof connection that would flex with the movement of the hinge could prove very frustrating. I’m all my years I have only seen 1 damaged.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 11:47 AM   #3
Vinnie

I guess if I really wanted to, I could get down there and move it up 4 inches or so. That wouldn't likely get in the way of the fully-deployed door.

Pic is front and back of the "bumper" area:
(crummy quality of interior pic- was trying to avoid hot asphalt )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210622_144457.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	34230  
Old 06-23-2021, 05:42 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Why not mount the license plate light permanently just below the ramp door hinge (pointing up) and relocate the license plate bracket to the bottom of the ramp door, aligned with the light so it will illuminate the plate at night...

AFAIK, there is a "law" that the plate has to be illuminated, but the law doesn't say that it has to be "sufficiently illuminated" so a "gallant attempt to comply" would probably keep you in LEO's good graces....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 06:10 PM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Don't feel "STUCK" with the OEM bracket and light. There are several aftermarket options including bolts with heads that are illuminated.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 10:41 PM   #6
Vinnie

I hear ya- thanks y'all

Tags
mount