Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2021, 05:39 AM   #1
mruther

Newer Camper Owner With Questions

Hello Everyone!

I am new to this group. I have a 2004 Keystone Sprinter Fifth Wheel I believe it is the 25 or 26' model. I would have to look at my paperwork. I have owned and been living in mine full time for about two years now, my sister and I rent this property together and so I use the house for water,etc. So I don't have any of that hooked up on it.

I have a couple questions (well I have lots but I will only ask a few here).

Has anyone else had issues with the ac? Is it normal for it to have issues keeping up when it is really humid out and over 95 outside. A lot of days lately it is 100 or more. It still ends up being over 80 inside and pretty toasty. I have a couple smaller fans that help move air, vents open a little to help circulate air, and I just put some aluminet on the top to help keep the sun off of it. Despite my condenser having a lot of squished together fins that I can't separate the ac still blows cold air it just doesn't keep things very comfy on those really hot days. I will be living in it for most likely the rest of this year before my sister and I are supposed to be moving. I plan to keep it but it has had some water damage area repairs and I am sure it needs a little more, I have stopped all the leaks I have found since I have owned it but don't have the resources to get it all redone (my guess is that it will most likely just sit out at the new house until someone that knows about repairs wants to take it. (really long story about how and why I have this particular camper, etc)

I really just need to make it work while we are still at this place and we should be able to move to the new place before next year but it will be after summer for sure. So would rather not replace the AC unit on a camper that will need other repairs later (though it is still in really good shape and most everything works on it). So my other question is where is a good place to order an awning replacement? I think getting the owning replaced will help with keeping it cooler inside. It has the roll out kind with metal legs. I measured 18' for awning size. But all the replacements I can find are for the slide out ones. Want to make sure I get one that works. ^.^

Sorry, I know that was a lot of rambling but hopefully it still makes sense. I am more than willing to try and explain anything if anyone has questions. Thanks so much for any advice and help. This may not be the best camper ever but it's mine and it has done well for me. It definitely won't be my last camper.
mruther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 06:12 AM   #2
jsb5717

Welcome to the forum! What you're experiencing with the AC is not uncommon.

A single AC will struggle to keep up when the temps are in the 90's or higher. The bent fins don't help but the best you can do is to start early in the day so that the AC isn't playing catch up. Also, close the shades on the sunny side of the trailer throughout the day to keep the sun from adding heat through the windows. Check the air return on the AC to see if there is a foam filter of some kind and make sure it's clean so the AC breathes as well as possible. It's also possible that since it's an older unit that it needs to be recharged with coolant, although you did say that they air it produces is cold.

Hopefully you can stay ahead of it a little better. It's been mid-90's where we are camping in eastern Oregon. Our newer 5er has a single AC and has also struggled to keep up as well. We are also trying to manage the window shades and I just cleaned the filters on the air returns yesterday. A 2nd AC is in our future. Good luck!
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 06:35 AM   #3
mruther

Thank you! I was wondering. I may have a local camper service guy come check the system. I don't have any idea where the coolant is on this thing so I will leave that up to them. I do have reflectix on all the windows inside but the tiny one next to the kitchen area I would hate to think what it would be in here without that.

I only found one filter so far that is in the vent inside. It's just a thin little thing. I am hoping with new fabric on the awning it will help keep more sun off. Even just a few degrees will make a huge difference. It isn't even July yet though so it may be a wild ride.
Old 06-20-2021, 06:53 AM   #4
Canonman

It's understood that the normal difference between the outside temp and the inside temp is somewhere between 15 and 20 degrees. If you are experiencing less differential then you may have a problem. There is a product for straightening out the cooling fins. It's called a cooling fin comb https://arnoldservice.com/product/uf...fin-comb-tool/
There is also an A/C Airflow Improvement device that many have tried with good results.
https://rvairflow.com/?gclid=CjwKCAj...RoCQJsQAvD_BwE
We just finished a 15 day trip to the Arizona desert with our single A/C Cougar and managed to survive...barely
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MGL8610.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	398.9 KB
ID:	34177  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 07:13 AM   #5
travelin texans

Just Google awning fabric, that should give several options.
I've used Shade Pro for my awning fabric with good results. My buddy used something like Tuff Tops or something similar that were heavier, more expensive than SP, but very good results also.
As far as a single A/C in hot humid climate, unless the service guy finds an issue it's pretty much use lots of fans.
As for recharging the coolant most units do not have ports to do so. You may get fortunate & your guy might be willing to add ports, but doubtful. Typically when rv A/Cs need charged they get a trip to the happy hunting grounds.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 07:39 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

It would probably be "hard to believe" for an owner of a new trailer, but contrary to popular belief, the "old ones" weren't really better. Your trailer likely has less insulation in the walls and ceilings than the newer ones and the materials used to build it were not as "technologically advanced" as the coroplast and FILON (fiberglass siding) used in today's trailers.

What all that translates to is that your trailer is not going to be as "energy efficient" as today's models. So, you can expect less insulation, less "robust materials" and a harder time trying to keep it warm in winter and cool in summer. Essentially, most travel trailers have R-5 through R-9 walls and with "trick advertising" manufacturers list ceiling R values in the 30-40 range, but if you look at the way they advertise it, it's listed as "R value equivalency" not "true R value" so a bit of deception... That means, for most of us, a travel trailer is not much more energy efficient than a "thick walled canvas tent"... Try cooling one of them in the hot summer sun.....

About all you can do is keep the "interior of the air conditioner clean" make sure there's adequate power to run it without a voltage drop (don't use long extension cords or try to run it on a 15 amp house plug) and shade as much of the trailer as possible during the hottest part of the day.

As for awning fabric replacement, on a trailer that old, I'd suppose you have a manual awning with "triangulated arms that attach to the bottom of the trailer to form a triangle to support the awning. They have a "HUGE" spring in the awning roller and it can be tricky to replace the awning fabric without getting hurt if the spring "unwinds unexpectedly"... So, be careful if you're going to try it by yourself. You could "break an arm if the spring slips and you aren't being careful....

You can buy awning fabric on EBay and Amazon for much less than at a local RV parts store or dealer. Measure the length of the existing fabric and order that length. The fabric is usually 6" to 9" shorter than the awning roller tube.

Here's one link for Amazon and one for EBay. I have not ordered from either, but they'll give you some idea of pricing. Do your shopping comparisons to make sure you're getting a "fair price"... On a trailer like that, I wouldn't consider a $300 or $400 OEM replacement fabric. I'd go "reasonably cheap" since you really aren't looking for a long term investment, rather a "reasonably priced alternative"...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/28359416567...Cclp%3A2334524

https://www.amazon.com/Shade-Pro-Awn...7RDM47DD&psc=1

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 07:46 AM   #7
German Shepherd Guy

Welcome to the forum mruther!

Squished fins will definitely reduce the efficiency of your AC.
Even to the point of it not working anymore. Happened to me. A friend who is a HAC tech told me to get up there and very gently bend the fins back out. Was a several hour job with a butter knife but it worked! A non cooling ac suddenly performed like new.
Things to remember If your roof is a non walk on type put down a thin sheet of plywood to lay on while you do this job. Distribute your weight! The fins will bend back out easily, it just takes time as there are so many of them. Don't hurry, you can damage the fins. He told me this was an apprentice job that every HAC man does starting out. If you can park in the shade it will make it a much more comfortable job, if not early morning, really early now in this heat, will make it much more doable.
Why do the fins bend? They just do, he had no answer as to how to improve my chances that over the years they would not bend back but believe me it was a night and day difference in performance.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 08:42 AM   #8
notanlines

You've been given sage advice above. I don't think I can improve on that. However, keep in mind that your RV was probably built 18 years ago, and more than likely equipped with a 13.5 BTU AC or less. Don't set your expectations too high.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 09:26 AM   #9
jasin1

Fins often times get bent from handling them during the original install. The guy that installed it may have manhandled it to get it on the roof. Not sure that would happen at the factory but possibly..

I wonder if you could make a tent over the entire camper…may solve your water leak problem and help with cooling the trailer..maybe a shelter logic or similar brand carport..just make sure you have clearance for the AC to operate properly..or cut a hole in the tent and seal it around the ac ..the shade should help the trailer stay cooler and the ac will have the airflow it needs
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	C09B0BB8-1828-47C3-8D38-B1C1D01CB148.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	34181  
Old 06-22-2021, 08:21 AM   #10
mruther

Thank you so much everyone! I didn't expect to get so many responses.

I actually finally found a good mobile RV tech. They came out and replaced my AC today. My AC was old and low on freon, and since this model couldn't be recharged they replaced it. They also found that no one had put any foam insulation or aluminum tape around the vents into the camper so it was blowing most of its' cold air into the "attic". I have never had so much airflow in this thing it is so much better already. They also replaced my analog Tstat with a new digital one. So hopefully things will be much better for me now. I don't know that the previous owners did much maintenance and upkeep on it. And a 2004 ac is pretty old esp in the hot humid weather we have been having lately..and it is only June. Ugh!

As for the awning I have one like the pic in the attachment. And it looks like maybe 300 for the right one as mine is 18'. But I only found the one most are for the smaller ones with triangle looking posts and they all say slide out....But I love that idea of the carport. It would help keep more off of my camper. Right now the whole front and part of the sunnier side has aluminet on it to help keep the suns heat off.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Awning.PNG
Views:	141
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	34219  
Old 06-23-2021, 05:32 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Miranda,

Unless the aluminum parts of your awning are broken or damaged, you do not need to replace the entire awning hardware assembly. You can buy "just the fabric part and replace it while keeping and using your existing metal parts. The link in my previous post will get you the fabric only part. That's about $150. There's no need to buy the entire awning, just the canvas/vinyl fabric.

Awning fabric is, for the most part, interchangeable among all brands. There is a "rope" sewn into the awning fabric at the part closest to the trailer and another "rope" sewn into the awning fabric at the roller tube (the part the fabric rolls up onto). Those two "ropes" slide into channels in the roller tube and on the trailer sidewall. They hold the awning fabric in place. I don't think there is any "awning fabric" that is constructed any other way and almost all of the "fabric only" that's sold on EBay or on Amazon fits all awning models. The only difference is the length of the awning fabric (you need the 17'6" or 18' size). Some newer awnings are 8'6" wide, but yours is the 8' width.

Now, if your metal roller tube or the arms are bent or damaged or missing, then you'll need the entire awning. Typically they run around $1000+ for a 18' model.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 06:17 AM   #12
mruther

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Miranda,

Unless the aluminum parts of your awning are broken or damaged, you do not need to replace the entire awning hardware assembly. You can buy "just the fabric part and replace it while keeping and using your existing metal parts. The link in my previous post will get you the fabric only part. That's about $150. There's no need to buy the entire awning, just the canvas/vinyl fabric.

Awning fabric is, for the most part, interchangeable among all brands. There is a "rope" sewn into the awning fabric at the part closest to the trailer and another "rope" sewn into the awning fabric at the roller tube (the part the fabric rolls up onto). Those two "ropes" slide into channels in the roller tube and on the trailer sidewall. They hold the awning fabric in place. I don't think there is any "awning fabric" that is constructed any other way and almost all of the "fabric only" that's sold on EBay or on Amazon fits all awning models. The only difference is the length of the awning fabric (you need the 17'6" or 18' size). Some newer awnings are 8'6" wide, but yours is the 8' width.

Now, if your metal roller tube or the arms are bent or damaged or missing, then you'll need the entire awning. Typically they run around $1000+ for a 18' model.
Thank you! I did not know if the fabric would fit any type of awning. As far as I know all my awning parts work the fabric just got damaged and the person I bought the camper from never replaced it. So if I can just any fabric that is the right size it'll be easier. I will have to look up videos on how to change it because I have never done that before.

I'm learning so many things.
Old 06-23-2021, 07:50 AM   #13
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by mruther View Post
Thank you! I did not know if the fabric would fit any type of awning. As far as I know all my awning parts work the fabric just got damaged and the person I bought the camper from never replaced it. So if I can just any fabric that is the right size it'll be easier. I will have to look up videos on how to change it because I have never done that before.

Some awnings have 2 different sizes of the "rope", actually plastic piping, on either end, one is about the size of a #2 pencil, the other like large spaghetti, determine what yours has & a width is about all you'll need.
Replacement undetermined
Old 06-23-2021, 07:54 AM   #14
travelin texans

Quote:

Some awnings have 2 different sizes of the "rope", actually plastic piping, on either end, one is about the size of a #2 pencil, the other like large spaghetti, determine what yours has & a width is about all you'll need to order new fabric.

Name:	63696_I.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	34257
Use a pair of these to hold the roller tube in place then you with a helper both with ladders is a fairly easy job.
Replacement undetermined
Old 06-23-2021, 08:14 AM   #15
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Thank you so much everyone! I didn't expect to get so many responses.

I actually finally found a good mobile RV tech. They came out and replaced my AC today. My AC was old and low on freon, and since this model couldn't be recharged they replaced it. They also found that no one had put any foam insulation or aluminum tape around the vents into the camper so it was blowing most of its' cold air into the "attic". I have never had so much airflow in this thing it is so much better already. They also replaced my analog Tstat with a new digital one. So hopefully things will be much better for me now. I don't know that the previous owners did much maintenance and upkeep on it. And a 2004 ac is pretty old esp in the hot humid weather we have been having lately..and it is only June. Ugh!

As for the awning I have one like the pic in the attachment. And it looks like maybe 300 for the right one as mine is 18'. But I only found the one most are for the smaller ones with triangle looking posts and they all say slide out....But I love that idea of the carport. It would help keep more off of my camper. Right now the whole front and part of the sunnier side has aluminet on it to help keep the suns heat off.
Do a search of the site for ways to improve cool in your camper. I have posted a bunch of stuff that really helped us here in South Texas for my 2002 Cougar.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 12:32 PM   #16
LHaven

Quote:
My AC was old and low on freon, and since this model couldn't be recharged they replaced it.
You will find that RV A/Cs are almost universally non-rechargeable. We did have an A/C guy out our way that would install the appropriate valves and charging ports and recharge an RV A/C. We had him do our old rig, with very good results. But a neighbor who called him recently tells me he stopped offering this service, and no one else will do it.

It can really help to keep the sun off your rig. If you don't have a slide topper awning, adding one might help.

Out here in Arizona (low humidity) we're comfy if we can get our trailer down to 82° or so, but that isn't even always possible.

I highly second the recommendation of fin comb tools. They're not at all hard to use and they do result in a serious improvement.
Old 06-27-2021, 03:14 PM   #17
rlh1957

Not sure if anyone mentioned it.

HVAC supply houses carry Fin Combs just for straightening those bent fins on RV air units or home units.
Go slow and easy with it and get those fins straight again. Straight fins help the cooling ability especially on those hot humid days. Also keeping the fins spray cleaned every year helps remove the dust and grime build up.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote