Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2021, 06:31 PM   #1
Ironman

I have a 2021 Ford Super Duty F350 Tremor 6.7 Diesel SW Can I 5th wheel 17k

I am a newbie on this Forum. I am an active member on the Ford Tremor Forum. I recently bought a Super Duty F350 Tremor for the purpose of getting a Toy Hauler. I fell in love with the Raptor 352 for a future purchase. I know how awesome my Tremor Family on that Forum is. I figured I’d look into a Keystone Forum. I have many questions but just figured to try this out.
I’m Don aka Ironman. Not from the cartoon character but from being a Union NYC Ironworker.
I currently don’t have an RV but I’m so interested in getting as much knowledge of the RV I will get before making my purchase. My wife and I never RV’d before, and I want to travel and live my dream.
Sorry if this is the wrong place to start. I didn’t see a start a post or thread on new posts. The introduction for new members didn’t seem to have a post spot. Thanks again. Looking forward to making some friendships like the bonds I made on the Tremor forum.
Don 👊🏻👊🏻👊🏻🙏🙏🙏😎
Ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 06:37 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
I am a newbie on this Forum. I am an active member on the Ford Tremor Forum. I recently bought a Super Duty F350 Tremor for the purpose of getting a Toy Hauler. I fell in love with the Raptor 352 for a future purchase. I know how awesome my Tremor Family on that Forum is. I figured I’d look into a Keystone Forum. I have many questions but just figured to try this out.
I’m Don aka Ironman. Not from the cartoon character but from being a Union NYC Ironworker.
I currently don’t have an RV but I’m so interested in getting as much knowledge of the RV I will get before making my purchase. My wife and I never RV’d before, and I want to travel and live my dream.
Sorry if this is the wrong place to start. I didn’t see a start a post or thread on new posts. The introduction for new members didn’t seem to have a post spot. Thanks again. Looking forward to making some friendships like the bonds I made on the Tremor forum.
Don 👊🏻👊🏻👊🏻🙏🙏🙏😎
Here you go:

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=27006

Welcome to the forum

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 06:56 PM   #3
Ironman

Thanks. Still very confused. But I will get it eventually.
������������
Old 05-26-2021, 06:57 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

You need to look at the specs on the Tremor. I believe it is akin to the Raptor and made for other activities other than towing. You have chosen a pretty heavy 5th wheel. Look at the driver side door stickers (black/yellow/white and gray) that give payload, gawr, gvw etc. I think using established formulas you might find a heavy 5th wheel too much for that type of vehicle. Playing is playing....towing big trailers is....business.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 06:58 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

What exactly are you confused about? We are here to help.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 07:14 PM   #6
Ironman

Hey people, I’m a newbie to this forum. I’m a 53 yr old former NYC IRONWORKER that bought a Ford Tremor for the purpose of RVing. I want to get a Raptor Toy Hauler to 5th wheel.
I never RV’d before and I really love the Raptor 352. it’s 17,000lbs GVR. My Ford Super Duty Tremor package comes with a 2” factory lift with 35” tires. It says it can goose neck 21,750lbs. But it’s a SW. Utube videos say you should get a dually truck.
I also bought a Carli Pintop 2.5 suspension with an air bag kit for the rear. I did not get it installed yet.
Can I 5th wheel with my truck. Thanks in advance for your advice and feedback. Sincerely appreciate all your help.
Don 👊🏻👊🏻👊🏻🙏🙏🙏✌️✌️✌️😎
Old 05-26-2021, 07:41 PM   #7
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Hey people, I’m a newbie to this forum. I’m a 53 yr old former NYC IRONWORKER that bought a Ford Tremor for the purpose of RVing. I want to get a Raptor Toy Hauler to 5th wheel.
I never RV’d before and I really love the Raptor 352. it’s 17,000lbs GVR. My Ford Super Duty Tremor package comes with a 2” factory lift with 35” tires. It says it can goose neck 21,750lbs. But it’s a SW. Utube videos say you should get a dually truck.
I also bought a Carli Pintop 2.5 suspension with an air bag kit for the rear. I did not get it installed yet.
Can I 5th wheel with my truck. Thanks in advance for your advice and feedback. Sincerely appreciate all your help.
Don 👊🏻👊🏻👊🏻🙏🙏🙏✌️✌️✌️😎

PLEASE take a minute and look through similar questions posted; many recently. First thing, toss all those marketing figures. Your truck has a specific payload. Yellow sticker on the inside door frame on driver side. It tells you the payload. That camper (about 17K lbs gross weight) will have about a 3500-4000 lb pin weight. Add hitch, stuff in the truck, passengers, etc and you are looking at over 4500 lbs in your truck. Look at your payload capacity. It likely won't be up to snuff. A normal rule of thumb is to use 23 percent of the gross trailer weight to estimate a payload and then add the other things (hitch, stuff, passengers, etc). Worst mistake a buyer can make is to rely on marketing numbers especially the manufacturer's stated pin weight for a camper which is a total fantasy.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 02:33 AM   #8
notanlines

Don, "the new Tremor package includes additional hardware such as off-road running boards that tuck up next to the body for damage control, extended-axle vent tubes and the same beefy skid plates as fitted to FX4 models. This package is best suited to lighter hard side and pop-up truck campers. "
From the Ford website.
There are people hauling 5v'ers all over America with less, but should they? You ordered a 2" lift, air bags, tall tires, all these things adding to your cargo weight but not adding to capacity.
Usually members come here asking for approval of their bad choices and then when that advice doesn't go their way they move on to another site. I'm sorry about your choice of the Tremor coupled with the Raptor. In the RV business the rule of thumb is to buy the RV FIRST and the horses to pull it SECOND.
You have been given sage advice about needing a dually. I hope you act accordingly. Oh, and hang around here for a few years. We might be a little arrogant, but we are friendly, polite and knowledgeable. Not all RV forums are that way.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 03:22 AM   #9
Javi

That Tremor is a pretty truck and I'll bet it's fun to play with, but I bet it won't cook your breakfast or do the laundry on Saturday mornings. ��
Old 05-27-2021, 04:27 AM   #10
Ironman

Thanks for your advice. I have a few Harleys and other toys that I wanted to haul around with us. So just might need to get a dually. The toy travel trailers that you tow from the hitch may not suffice my needs. I love the Tremor and to get a second truck isn’t going to be an easy sell to the wife. Lots to study and think about. You have a good day brother. ������������
Old 05-27-2021, 04:37 AM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

Welcome to the forum. Like everything in life trucks are a trade-off. Finding one that "checks all the boxes" typically ends up with a comprimise. When you choose a truck specifically designed for off roading the trade-offs are typically taller suspension travel with softer shocks to absorb bumps, larger softer sidewaiis on the tires, and a raised body which raises the center of gravity. The off road accessories reduce payload and the result is a truck that's now very capable for off-roading but with a greatly deminished ability and capacitity for towing.

A lot of people have the "dream" of taking their rig off-raod. I blame advertising for most of this as you see those images constantly in the advertising. Truth be told, the trailers not specifically made for that will self destruct in short order. Most folks into the off-road lifestyles use a toy hualer to take their off-road vehichle in. Then use it to hit the trails. There are several folks on the forum who do this regularly that can offer better advice.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 05:55 AM   #12
Ken / Claudia

Come back with the numbers listed on YOUR trucks driver side door post. It's really easy copy or photo them. Then someone will explain each number on YOUR truck and how its fits towing and carrying a RV.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 09:47 AM   #13
notanlines

Don, have her call me and I’ll talk to her about your dually. I’ve learned the right things to say!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
Old 05-27-2021, 10:25 AM   #14
gearhead

Welcome to the forum. My Dad was Local 84 in Houston.
You may want to look at bumper pull toy haulers, or trade the Ford Tremor in on a dually that isn't quite as tricked out. May not as painful as you think.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 11:18 AM   #15
jasin1

Maybe get a good decent used dually as a dedicated tow vehicle and keep the tremor for fun.. if it’s just for towing you may find a diesel with around 100k mileage in decent shape. Would get you through quite a few years if it’s only towing mileage added to it
Old 06-03-2021, 09:15 AM   #16
Keystoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
Come back with the numbers listed on YOUR trucks driver side door post. It's really easy copy or photo them. Then someone will explain each number on YOUR truck and how its fits towing and carrying a RV.
This...^
Also, the Tremor is not like the Raptor in that is specifically built to go fast off road. It is reduced some from a regular SD, but not significantly...
Old 06-03-2021, 12:51 PM   #17
Ironman

My load weight is 3052 lbs. My Tremor Forum has lots of people pulling 17k 5th wheels. I looked at Grand Design Momentum’s that are 16,800 and pin weight of 2,785. I know many say I need a dually. On RV Trader and other sites I see in the pics SRW pulling these large rigs. My F350 6.7 Tremor is a beast. I probably won’t put the Carli Pintop suspension but will add the Firestone Ride Rite Red Label Extreme 7,500lbs air bag set up I already have. I will most likely get one of these heavy toy trailers and see what my rig can do. One of my friends says he pulls a triple axle 20k 44’ toy hauler with his F350 6.7 Tremor. So IDK. I was a NYC Union Ironworker that was a connector that erected high rises, walking beams, and climbing columns and connecting the skeletons of these structures. Not many people would do this for a living. So it’s just that I’m not afraid to give it a try. That’s all. I’m going to pull mine and my wife’s Harleys across country and live life to it’s fullest. If I have a hard time pulling this beast then I’ll pull the trigger snd buy a 2022 F450. So that’s my plan. I know this subject causes lots of arguments and life is way to short for that. I just lost my dad in March and was with him as he passed away. That has changed my thoughts with life. I’m 53 yrs young and now retired, and I don’t want waste a single day on the blessings JESUS CHRIST has bestowed on me. So I thank you all for your sound advice. I will just try it out with my Tremor and just take it one day at a time. GOD BLESS. ��������������������
Old 06-03-2021, 01:46 PM   #18
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
My load weight is 3052 lbs. My Tremor Forum has lots of people pulling 17k 5th wheels. I looked at Grand Design Momentum’s that are 16,800 and pin weight of 2,785. I know many say I need a dually. On RV Trader and other sites I see in the pics SRW pulling these large rigs. My F350 6.7 Tremor is a beast. I probably won’t put the Carli Pintop suspension but will add the Firestone Ride Rite Red Label Extreme 7,500lbs air bag set up I already have. I will most likely get one of these heavy toy trailers and see what my rig can do. One of my friends says he pulls a triple axle 20k 44’ toy hauler with his F350 6.7 Tremor. So IDK. I was a NYC Union Ironworker that was a connector that erected high rises, walking beams, and climbing columns and connecting the skeletons of these structures. Not many people would do this for a living. So it’s just that I’m not afraid to give it a try. That’s all. I’m going to pull mine and my wife’s Harleys across country and live life to it’s fullest. If I have a hard time pulling this beast then I’ll pull the trigger snd buy a 2022 F450. So that’s my plan. I know this subject causes lots of arguments and life is way to short for that. I just lost my dad in March and was with him as he passed away. That has changed my thoughts with life. I’m 53 yrs young and now retired, and I don’t want waste a single day on the blessings JESUS CHRIST has bestowed on me. So I thank you all for your sound advice. I will just try it out with my Tremor and just take it one day at a time. GOD BLESS. ��������������������
Good luck to you. just bremember that when you were walking high on the beams you only endangered yourself and the odds of hitting someone on the ground was minimal. Taking that risk with your family and other motorists is a whole other consideration IMHO.
Old 06-03-2021, 02:17 PM   #19
notanlines

If you were looking to lend credence to your situation, your statement "On RV Trader and other sites I see in the pics SRW pulling these large rigs"just blew a large hole in the argument. Only Charles Schultz could have come up with a more comical line.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
Old 06-03-2021, 02:36 PM   #20
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
If you were looking to lend credence to your situation, your statement "On RV Trader and other sites I see in the pics SRW pulling these large rigs"just blew a large hole in the argument. Only Charles Schultz could have come up with a more comical line.
He lost me at that and the "one of freinds..." line. Some people also drive drunk, some folks drive while high on drugs, others do things that are just plain dangerous and or stupid. I will not follow in their footsteps, especially when my family's safety is involved. To each their own I guess. When I see them go by I just stay back amd let them put distance between themself and me.

Tags
5th wheel, ford