Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2021, 09:48 PM   #1
Mr. Light

Cougar vs Bullet

Hello,

First time poster in this forum as we've owned a Rockwood Roo (hybrid) for the last couple years.

We're getting ready to upgrade and have narrowed it down to these two: Bullet 273BHSWE and Cougar 25DBSWE. There's things I like about both and having a very hard time making a decision. Is either one better than the other in terms of build quality?

I have read so many comments saying "pick the floor plan you like" but there has to be.more to it than that? I liked the floor plan of a Tracer but everything in the trailer felt so cheap and flimsy, I would never consider it.

The Bullet is obviously bigger but the Cougar feels pretty spacious and has some nice extra features. If I knew it had a better build quality that would probably seal the deal for me.

Anyone have experience with either or both?

Thanks in advance
Mr. Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 02:56 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Welcome to the forum. Picking a trailer that's "right for you" is a personal choice. bWhat's important to you may njot be of ant concern to me. My advice is to spend some time in it. Set in it everywhere and think about where you will put stuff. mY OTHER ADVICE IS BOTH OF THOSE TRAILERS REALLY NEED MORE THAN A 1/2 TON TRUCK TO TOW COMFORTABLY. Don't beleive the sales hype or the salesman that your truck can tow it "just fine".
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 03:04 AM   #3
Mr. Light

I appreciate the response. I did upgrade to a 2008 Duramax this year after struggling with a 4.6 Tundra so weight is an issue no more. I’ve spent a good amount of time in the Bullet as my friend has that exact model.

I’m also curious if the extra 2’ will inhibit me from some national parks?

If only I could “borrow” the Cougar for a few trips
Old 04-12-2021, 04:11 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

After working on both, I would lean towards the cougar. Not that Bullets are bad, it’s just that to me the cougars seem to be a little more stout.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 05:15 AM   #5
Ken / Claudia

It won't matter about the little stuff if you do not like the floor plan, you will not enjoy the trailer if the floor plan does not work for you.
Next is budget, no point in thinking about any that break the bank.
You have taken care of the Tow vehicle part, now go into the trailer you picked and spend a few hours without the salesperson telling you you must buy it.
In the end it's all about what you like, you can get a Lemon in any RV, car, pickup, boat, house etc, etc.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 05:34 AM   #6
SummitPond

I recall reading somewhere on the forum there was a particular "problem" with fridges in slides (overheating? I don't recall exactly what the problem was). Has this issue been cleared up?

The Cougar does have the access hatch to the bunkhouse, and a walk-in shower (versus a fairly useless-sized tub), which are nice features.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 07:57 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

If you think back to the Chevrolet marketing in the 60's and 70's, the "big car lines" had three "stepped up pricing and stepped up standard features"... They were the Biscayne, BelAire and Impala. Ford had a similar marketing strategy.

Keystone does the same with the Bullet line. There's the Crossfire, the Bullet and the Premier lines within the Bullet family. The Crossfire is the "cheapest and least "feature filled" of the Bullet family.

The Cougar line has only one level in the travel trailer line and two levels in the fifth wheel line, the Half ton (light weight) and the Cougar "standard weight"....

Comparing an "entry level Bullet" with a "mid level Cougar Half Ton" is difficult.

First, the Bullet is built on a NoCo frame (lightweight riveted frame) and the Cougar is built on a traditional welded frame. Both are built with a "laminated sandwich floor" (now hyperdeck rather than luan).

Essentially, when you compare the price per foot, (the MSRP divided by th elength) of both, the Cougar costs about $250 more per foot.

In the end, I'd make a list of "+" and "-" features that are important to you and see which trailer has the most "+" and which has the fewest "-" checks on the list.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 11:53 AM   #8
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitPond View Post
I recall reading somewhere on the forum there was a particular "problem" with fridges in slides (overheating? I don't recall exactly what the problem was). Has this issue been cleared up?
It's not a build problem, it's a problem with the underlying physics. Fridges not in slides can have roof vents, and convection takes care of most of it. Fridges in slides need to vent out the wall at 90°, which is tougher and requires engineered airflow and fans.

Had a camper staying with us for the winter with a high-end rig, residential fridge in a slide. "Improved" his venting by having a third identical vent installed in the center of his slide wall. It was a beautiful cosmetic job, and all very "common sense." Fridge burned out while he was with us, because the additional vent starved the cooling flow in the lower half of the compartment. Expensive repair.
Old 04-12-2021, 01:05 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

I am with Chuck. Personally I would prefer the Cougar if it had a floorplan that worked for me. As John mentioned, the Bullet is the entry level trailer (comfort) and is built that way so will have cheaper construction materials, appointments etc. The Cougar is the top of the line model (luxury) and will have nicer appointments and "stouter" construction.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 01:13 PM   #10
wiredgeorge

Doesn't matter how much you study trailers because until you take out that seemingly perfect trailer you will find things that you don't care for. Not enough counter space, carpet where it makes more sense to have vinyl, tub isn't wide enough for a full figured ol boy, toilet too low, television hard to see from the location of sofa/chairs, cabinets too high for the missus to reach. Each floorplan has good and each has bad. Once you have camped in the trailer you think best you will already be thinking about either how to modify the issues or another floorplan that resolves some or most. ALL trailers have things you will love and things not so much. Many folks buy their first trailer and put it on a 20 year mortgage only to find that: 1. out the door depreciation makes them upside down and 2. they don't think they did good as far as picking the trailer.

My solution is to buy a used trailer, pay cash and see how many things you would change/modify or even buy into with a new trailer you like or desire.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 02:18 PM   #11
Mr. Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
If you think back to the Chevrolet marketing in the 60's and 70's, the "big car lines" had three "stepped up pricing and stepped up standard features"... They were the Biscayne, BelAire and Impala. Ford had a similar marketing strategy.

Keystone does the same with the Bullet line. There's the Crossfire, the Bullet and the Premier lines within the Bullet family. The Crossfire is the "cheapest and least "feature filled" of the Bullet family.

The Cougar line has only one level in the travel trailer line and two levels in the fifth wheel line, the Half ton (light weight) and the Cougar "standard weight"....

Comparing an "entry level Bullet" with a "mid level Cougar Half Ton" is difficult.

First, the Bullet is built on a NoCo frame (lightweight riveted frame) and the Cougar is built on a traditional welded frame. Both are built with a "laminated sandwich floor" (now hyperdeck rather than luan).

Essentially, when you compare the price per foot, (the MSRP divided by th elength) of both, the Cougar costs about $250 more per foot.

This is the answer I was looking for (was hoping for a more definitive answer )

Is a welded frame stronger? Any difference structurally? Walking into the Tracer (that was parked next to the Cougar) felt like I might fall through the floorboards. It shook more, felt like it was going to fall apart when I touched it. The Cougar on the other hand was very sturdy, didn't seem to move as much just walking around.......just felt more solid.....is that a thing?

I'm starting to lean towards the Bullet a little more, just based on storage and space. I know my wife will appreciate the more modern interior as well. I have two pre-teen kids and the storage in the Cougar is lacking. It's potentially too small where the Bullet is slightly too big. I think I'd rather have a little too much room, I'm sure no one will complain. The extra 2' isn't going to make THAT much difference parked in the driveway.

Cougar pros:

-holding tanks are huge
-18 year warranty on roof
- King size bed
- TV placement is much better
- Door towards rear for easy bathroom access on road trips
- Bike storage (I'm an avid cyclist, kids also bring their bikes)
- Outdoor kitchen
am I missing anything?

Bullet:
- $5-6k cheaper (There's a place in central CA that is selling them below list)

- Bigger, more space, more storage
- Extra sofa is a nice feature
- Wife likes the doors on both sides of the bed
- Modern interior design (wife also prefers)

While the Cougar has some major selling points, ALL of the Bullet pros are kinda a big deal. I'm definitely leaning towards the Bullet now.

Anyone had any experience with the dealer in Turlock CA?
Old 04-12-2021, 02:22 PM   #12
Mr. Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I am with Chuck. Personally I would prefer the Cougar if it had a floorplan that worked for me. As John mentioned, the Bullet is the entry level trailer (comfort) and is built that way so will have cheaper construction materials, appointments etc. The Cougar is the top of the line model (luxury) and will have nicer appointments and "stouter" construction.

Yeah I definitely feel a difference when I step into the Cougar but it wasn't as pronounced compared to the Bullet. I'm just afraid we'll realize it's too small, especially as my kids grow and want to bring their buds places. I'm starting to answer my own question as I hear my own replies to you guys

I wish Cougar made a 26' or 27' bunkhouse
Old 04-12-2021, 02:44 PM   #13
Mr. Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Doesn't matter how much you study trailers because until you take out that seemingly perfect trailer you will find things that you don't care for. Not enough counter space, carpet where it makes more sense to have vinyl, tub isn't wide enough for a full figured ol boy, toilet too low, television hard to see from the location of sofa/chairs, cabinets too high for the missus to reach. Each floorplan has good and each has bad. Once you have camped in the trailer you think best you will already be thinking about either how to modify the issues or another floorplan that resolves some or most. ALL trailers have things you will love and things not so much. Many folks buy their first trailer and put it on a 20 year mortgage only to find that: 1. out the door depreciation makes them upside down and 2. they don't think they did good as far as picking the trailer.

My solution is to buy a used trailer, pay cash and see how many things you would change/modify or even buy into with a new trailer you like or desire.

This is excellent advice. We have completed this step already (bought a used hybrid trailer a couple years ago) and are pretty clear about our current needs. The used market is really terrible right now, not saving much in buying a 2-3 year old trailer, especially not having a warranty.
Old 04-12-2021, 04:33 PM   #14
chuckster57
Site Team

If you buy in central ca, understand that your local dealer will have no obligation to do any warranty work on your new unit. Paying a little more locally can save you a lot of frustration if/when you need warranty repairs. If your comfortable with doing any and all repairs yourself, then by all means get the lowest price.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 04-12-2021, 04:50 PM   #15
Mr. Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
If you buy in central ca, understand that your local dealer will have no obligation to do any warranty work on your new unit. Paying a little more locally can save you a lot of frustration if/when you need warranty repairs. If your comfortable with doing any and all repairs yourself, then by all means get the lowest price.

It's a new trailer, what could possibly go wrong?

I was told that the local dealer could handle the warranty repairs, is that false information? I can imagine that it would put me in the back of the line, behind all the people that bought their TT from this dealer.......
Old 04-12-2021, 05:12 PM   #16
chuckster57
Site Team

If you have heard it from the service manager at your local dealer, then I would believe it, otherwise all bets are off.

Old 04-12-2021, 06:45 PM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Light View Post

I was told that the local dealer could handle the warranty repairs, is that false information? I can imagine that it would put me in the back of the line, behind all the people that bought their TT from this dealer.......

The question is WHO told you the "local" dealer would handle all your warranty repairs. If you didn't buy the unit from them they may, or may not, honor the warranty. The selling dealer will, the rest is just a bet. And of course, you WILL be put at the back of the line of any buying customer that's came in ahead of you....behind you etc. Prepare for that "long summer wait".
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 06:56 PM   #18
chuckster57
Site Team

If it’s the selling dealer I’m thinking of, even they don’t do warranty work on units they sell.

Old 04-12-2021, 08:17 PM   #19
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Light View Post

Perhaps Keystone would pay you to use this as a marketing slogan!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 07:18 AM   #20
tanglemoose

We bought the 25rdswe after owning a 21rbswe for years, both Cougars. I believe water storage is a whole lot different on the two... we have 76 gray, 38 black and 60 fresh. Also have better countertops, hinges on doors, etc... the Cougars have way better materials, hencethe added cost. Resale on them, I believe is better also.

We love the floorplan, with living area pushed out seems so much bigger. Be sure to get the solar package with inverter, etc ALL included!
tanglemoose is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bullet, cougar