Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > COVID-19 Discussion Zone
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2020, 04:56 AM   #21
notanlines

George, I read online the CNN version of what your L-Gov had to say. Then I actually read verbatim what he said and , well, CNN and I didn't hear the same statement. Imagine that.
I liked your post, by the way. A number of members have had some sensible posts lately (we wouldn't expect less) and I have failed to state my approval.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 05:17 AM   #22
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Partner at work, his wife works at a big box hardware store. They issued permits, my employer hasn’t. But there hasn’t been any noticeable enforcement. I will say the drive to/from work has been a LOT lighter.
A permit? What kind of permit?
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 06:26 AM   #23
chuckster57
Site Team

From what I gather it’s like a “note from the boss”. Nothing is being enforced at the moment out here but you never know. Our Governor just closed all parking lots at state parks and beaches.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 08:11 AM   #24
rhagfo

Quote:
From what I gather it’s like a “note from the boss”. Nothing is being enforced at the moment out here but you never know. Our Governor just closed all parking lots at state parks and beaches.
While that seems extreme people are just not getting the concept of staying away from others. Last weekend Oregon and Washington saw crazy numbers of people traveling to the coast, sound, or gorge making social distancing impossible.
This made Oregon move up parks closing two weeks and closed all parks yesterday 3/23. Washington did the same. The hard part in Oregon is devotion to the parks most State parks don’t have gates! It will be interesting to see how well barricades work on the day use parks on the coast.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 08:54 AM   #25
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

This is what my son said that lives outside Dallas. When his boss told him he could come to work Monday they did not know that he could not drive into Dallas without a "note" from his boss telling him he needed to come to work. And the knee jerk reactions continue.....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 09:03 AM   #26
travelin texans

I've said from the beginning unless its absolutely forced upon us the American people can't put up with this much longer, we'll all be unemployed, broke & no place to spend money if we had any.
Is this virus deadly? Apparently! Some that have unfortunately died may have done so from the common cold???
Is it any worse than any other ever to be around? Statistics suggest not!
Should I or anyone else be concerned with it? Yes!
Should the entire world run scared & hide til it ends? Hell no!
It's about time to end this BS, use some common sense (apparently that's not available much anymore) & get back to normal, such as normal may be after this.
Let's just turn off ALL the fake news about "the virus" & stop them from making money off it just like the rest of us.
Let them get back reporting crap about politicians that we know is ALL BS!
After 9-11 this country seemed to bond together making us stronger, now we have a new term, SOCIAL DISTANCING, talk about a 180 degree turn, now making us wimps.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 09:25 AM   #27
gearhead

[QUOTE=rhagfo;382976]While that seems extreme people are just not getting the concept of staying away from others. Last weekend Oregon and Washington saw crazy numbers of people traveling to the coast, sound, or gorge making social distancing impossible.
This made Oregon move up parks closing two weeks and closed all parks yesterday 3/23. Washington did the same. The hard part in Oregon is devotion to the parks most State parks don’t have gates! It will be interesting to see how well barricades work on the day use parks on the coast.[/QUOTE

Huh? They can't stay 6ft apart travelling down the highway on the way to the park?
Then when they get there they can't stay 6ft apart?
What am I missing?
Old 03-24-2020, 09:26 AM   #28
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I've said from the beginning unless its absolutely forced upon us the American people can't put up with this much longer, we'll all be unemployed, broke & no place to spend money if we had any.
Is this virus deadly? Apparently! Some that have unfortunately died may have done so from the common cold???
Is it any worse than any other ever to be around? Statistics suggest not!
Should I or anyone else be concerned with it? Yes!
Should the entire world run scared & hide til it ends? Hell no!
It's about time to end this BS, use some common sense (apparently that's not available much anymore) & get back to normal, such as normal may be after this.
Let's just turn off ALL the fake news about "the virus" & stop them from making money off it just like the rest of us.
Let them get back reporting crap about politicians that we know is ALL BS!
After 9-11 this country seemed to bond together making us stronger, now we have a new term, SOCIAL DISTANCING, talk about a 180 degree turn, now making us wimps.
X2 brother.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:38 AM   #29
Silverado19

Missouri has just announced that State Park run campgrounds will be closed from March 27 until April 30.
If you have a reservation you can get a refund by calling 1-877-22-6766 between 7am - 7pm.

https://dnr.mo.gov/news/newsitem/uui...3-1171687fcb86
Silverado19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 09:39 AM   #30
gearhead

Somebody in Washington said we need to get back to work.
Dow is up 1600+.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:57 AM   #31
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Somebody in Washington said we need to get back to work.
Dow is up 1600+.

Finally, a voice of common sense and reason.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:10 AM   #32
gearhead

Harris County (Houston) Judge Lina Hidalgo was on TV yesterday talking about staying at home. Dallas sounds like they have done the same. I ain't paying no attention to it. I live in an adjoining county (Liberty) and our County Judge knows better. I hope.
I'm about to the point of saying if you don't have enough sense to clean your hands and stay 6ft away from everyone, you deserve to get sick.
Is that Darwin theory thing still valid?
Old 03-24-2020, 10:26 AM   #33
Smangerer

The problem that everyone world wide is trying to avoid is a maxed out health care system. There are simply not enough local beds to care for all the potential sick people in their own communities in addition to travelers who decided that they don't care. If we all assume that the chances of getting it are low so go on as usual; thats when we will reach those crazy high numbers that we don't want to believe.

You can be contagious for 2 weeks without showing any symptoms... and so could that person standing next to you or the person that opened that door you just touched 2 hours before you opened it.

Do us all a favor and just keep the door closed.

thank You
Smangerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 10:38 AM   #34
mfifield01

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Harris County (Houston) Judge Lina Hidalgo was on TV yesterday talking about staying at home. Dallas sounds like they have done the same. I ain't paying no attention to it. I live in an adjoining county (Liberty) and our County Judge knows better. I hope.
I'm about to the point of saying if you don't have enough sense to clean your hands and stay 6ft away from everyone, you deserve to get sick.
Is that Darwin theory thing still valid?
Stay at home just happened in the Austin area (Travis and Williamson counties). I live outside of Austin, but in Travis County. One city (Pflugerville) closed down parks, playgrounds, pavilions, etc. Staying inside for weeks/months is not a good answer. In China, the domestic disturbance cases went up.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:03 AM   #35
Pull Toy

I am a telecommunications worker. Part of my job involves keeping 911 services up and available, as well as Internet &, ATM services, and telephone services to the public. Up until about twenty five years ago, our ID Cards actually had the Civil Defense Logo on them. Anyone remember those?

The federal government feels that our work is vital part of the critical cyber infrastructure. We have been issued documents from Homeland Security in case of closures, authorizing use of roads and highways, and permits to purchase fuel in the event of a lockdown. This letter has an expiration date of 5/28/2020, so we're not looking at a long range issue here.

My granddaughter, on the other hand, works in an assisted living facility. Her "pass" is a notarized letter from her employer stating that she is a staff member who is needed at work.

If we reach the stage of a real "total" shut down, I feel we have no one to blame but ourselves. "Social Distancing" and "6 feet apart" has been a mantra for several weeks now, and yet we still see pic's from Spring Break with young people elbow to elbow partying away on a daily basis.

A little self control, for a limited amount of time is not all that unreasonable to save G-D knows how many lives. I understand everyone's frustration, but with a little patience, we will come out of this.

Stay Strong!

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 12:39 PM   #36
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull Toy View Post
I am a telecommunications worker. Part of my job involves keeping 911 services up and available, as well as Internet &, ATM services, and telephone services to the public. Up until about twenty five years ago, our ID Cards actually had the Civil Defense Logo on them. Anyone remember those?

The federal government feels that our work is vital part of the critical cyber infrastructure. We have been issued documents from Homeland Security in case of closures, authorizing use of roads and highways, and permits to purchase fuel in the event of a lockdown. This letter has an expiration date of 5/28/2020, so we're not looking at a long range issue here.

My granddaughter, on the other hand, works in an assisted living facility. Her "pass" is a notarized letter from her employer stating that she is a staff member who is needed at work.

If we reach the stage of a real "total" shut down, I feel we have no one to blame but ourselves. "Social Distancing" and "6 feet apart" has been a mantra for several weeks now, and yet we still see pic's from Spring Break with young people elbow to elbow partying away on a daily basis.

A little self control, for a limited amount of time is not all that unreasonable to save G-D knows how many lives. I understand everyone's frustration, but with a little patience, we will come out of this.

Stay Strong!

I don't know that I need to "come out of this" if I have lost everything I have with no way to recoup prior to my "normal" (living in squalor) death. There is a limit to what needs to be done to contain this; a balance has to be struck with reality vs everyone's perceived fear of the unknown boogeyman - take reasonable precautions but the drastic shutdowns we are seeing have to end very soon or there will be irreversible damage. Why would one take their life, or someone else's, because they saw a coiled rattlesnake at their feet? Out of fear? Knee jerk. We have grown far too soft in the past few decades; afraid of our own shadow's. There are no guarantees in life but one - you WILL die. How and when you won't get to choose unless you commit suicide; and no, going outside, getting gas, getting groceries, etc. isn't going to kill you or anyone else. If for some reason it did.....it was time. Sorry but life just ain't fair.

Took a little survey on MSN earlier today and one of the questions was would you rather try to be safe (stay at home/close down businesses, industries etc.) even if it meant the economic collapse of the country or would you prefer to go back to work in a reasonable time even if the virus wasn't gone to keep the country economically viable (paraphrased from memory). Shockingly the majority taking that survey, on MSN, would prefer to let the country collapse if they didn't have to work - and "be safe"...…. Sad statement on those that took the survey and the general status of the normal "American" - far removed from what it would have been in 1950.

I figure those that would prefer to hide and let the country collapse aren't capable of understanding what that means to them and everyone else. It's just an easy "way out" in a stressful situation....and they have no idea how they would cope with the aftermath that would follow....oh wait! Tell the government to do something....send some money....of which there will be none (government or money). As always JMO/YMMV as I'm sure it does.
Old 03-24-2020, 12:47 PM   #37
sourdough
Site Team

I failed to mention some things in my previous post;

DS advised today as I was typing the prior post of a few things happening to him and in the area he is in (outside Dallas);

He said he received notices today on 1 of his credit cards and 2 of his gas cards that the available amounts had been reduced for an unknown period. I've not seen that.

He also said that they had been told to stay wary and aware. That those out of work were beginning to "need" things and had no way to get them other than possible illegal means so take precautions and be prepared. Just more collateral damage from ill advised actions. IMO
Old 03-24-2020, 01:40 PM   #38
notanlines

I have no idea why anyone in this day and age would need a gas company card with every station taking virtually all cards, but the first threat I got from a gas company to lower my limit would put that limit at zero immediately. Regretfully we have a Pilot/Flying J card so I don't have to go inside if we stop there, and that thing is irritating enough.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 02:17 PM   #39
flybouy
Site Team

To the OP's question: one consideration is your health care plan. Does it cover out of state hospitalization ? Not all of them do (especially supplemental).

Now my general thoughts/concerns. I like to read a lot about history and try to learn from it.

The economic "Outcome" is being compared to the great depression. The stock market "crash of 1929", 80% of the US population were in agriculture, they grew their own food and traded for goods like coffee,sugar, shoes, etc. That generation grew up to be "the greatest generation of all time" because they learned humility, teamwork, hard work for survival, and how to think for themselves. I think you would be hard pressed to find those qualities today. The only saving grace of that depression was the Second World War.

No government has ever "spent" their way out of a deep economic turmoil. Europe tried it after WWI by printing more money which devalued their money and caused run away inflation. In Germany and Italy people would literally take a wheelbarrow full of money to buy a loaf of bread. So how will all of these benevolent politicians pay off this debt? Print money? Borrow more money from China? Raise taxes to crazy new levels?

Politicians will politic, expect no less. They will promise and under deliver, no change. They will sell their children's souls to get re-elected, so no change there.

Calling out the National Guard...constitutionally only the governor of a state can do that by declaring a state of emergency. I had to laugh when the governor of NY, Cumo, sent them to Westchester, NY to hand out food. Westchester is one of the most affluent NYC suburbs. The hired help in those multi million dollars aren't going to eat that. Pictures of the NG standing around tables full of bags with no takers were evidenced on the news. Yes the NG, where deployed, are doing work but I think they were pre-deployed so that if domestic unrest happened they would be in place. If congress continues to delay and folks start to go hungry then I fear they will be needed. Historically when the populous goes hungry the crowds March the King and Queen to the guillotine. When tax burdens a government's overreach revolution can result.

I'm not trying to be an alarmist, and I pray the great strength and economic strength of this country and it's government can figure this out with minimal damage. Thankfully this happened at a time when our economy was far stronger than anywhere else in the world. If this country "plays it smart" I think we'll come out of this far ahead but if we don't learn lessons, identify the weaknesses (like heavily relying on overseas products) and correcting them history will repeat, it always does.
JMHO
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 02:23 PM   #40
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
I have no idea why anyone in this day and age would need a gas company card with every station taking virtually all cards, but the first threat I got from a gas company to lower my limit would put that limit at zero immediately. Regretfully we have a Pilot/Flying J card so I don't have to go inside if we stop there, and that thing is irritating enough.

I expressed the same thought - his company supplies them and he is supposed to use them was the explanation.