Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2013, 02:14 PM   #1
desertjack

wobbly dinette table

The dinette table of our 2011 Hideout is very unstable (wobbles a lot) Maybe its because of the shape of the floor the table sits on (its part of the slide out). Does anyone have any ideas how to solve this issue other than putting shims under the table legs ?
desertjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:23 PM   #2
f6bits

I don't know what your table looks like, but mine's the spring-loaded fold down for sleeping. The feet are adjustable.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:39 AM   #3
MarkECampr

Wobbly Dinette Table

My last TT had a dinette table that both the leg sets folded toward the center of the table. One leg of one pair was overbent from the factory. I got a rubber cover, like what is used for the bottom of walking canes. Putting it on one of the legs leveled the table and also made it stay put on vinyl flooring.
MarkECampr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:02 PM   #4
reinecks08

I dont have a solution, but the table in our Cougar TT is very wobbly as well. it is not part of the slide out. its the kind with two posts that you lift out to take down into a bed.
reinecks08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:56 PM   #5
suza

I don't know if this has anything to do with your "wobbly dinette table", but we have the free-standing table and chairs in our 2014 279RKS. The table (not a dinette) wobbled. The dealer replaced the screws that held it to the slide as they were stripped. He said there is not much of a floor for the screws to attach to. They were able to replace them in a slightly different spot without drastically moving the table. The table is now quite stable. I hope it stays that way.

This could be a similar problem with the supports for your dinette. Perhaps this is why Keystone came up with the idea of the free-standing dinette table. I didn't like it, one bit, because the legs made it hard to get in and out of the U-bench. That is why we chose the table & chairs option.
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS
2013 F-350 Super Duty Powerstroke 4WD LB CC

https://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/...ps78607eca.jpg
suza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:46 PM   #6
mowin

Mine wobbled also. I drilled and taped each flange for a set screw.
mowin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:51 PM   #7
bucketman

We think we are going to take ours out completely and use tv trays. We won't be using the fold down table for sleeping and it seems to give us more room in the trailer. Ours wobbles also. It is the spring loaded fold down version. I think it is the nature of the beast.
So Wisconsin
bucketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:30 PM   #8
Marlinmike

Wobbly Table

I too have the fold down Wobbly Table with the metal undercarriage (legs) that take up all of the available leg/foot room under the table. I haven't yet folded up the legs and put the table onto the seat ledges, as needed for bed conversion. But if I did:
  1. Are the folded up legs needed to support the middle of the table?
  2. Can the layout of the dinette cushions be re-configured to fill in the 'mattress'?
I was thinking of taking the legs off the table top and store it behind the couch for the few times I MAY need it for bed configuration and find a 4 legged table to put in there. I can then 'readjust' the leg length as needed for the two floors (one stationary and one slide floor).
Marlin
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:09 PM   #9
theeyres

For some unknown reason our Hideout table seems very stable. In a previous Springdale it was wobbly. Both have the two posts that sit in sockets. We never put the table down so I drilled a small hole on each side of each leg and screwed a sheet metal screw in. Made it rock solid. Still only takes a few seconds to remove the screws if I need to for some reason.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:49 PM   #10
Murphsmom

Wobbly Table

Is there any way that the spring loaded table can be replaced with something that allows more seating (with fewer scuffed knees)? We haven't used the bed setup yet, and don't know that we ever will, but I like the extra storage under the seats, and we eat at the table and play cards there when the weather is bad. A different style table would make a huge difference.
Murphsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:33 AM   #11
suza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphsmom View Post
Is there any way that the spring loaded table can be replaced with something that allows more seating (with fewer scuffed knees)? We haven't used the bed setup yet, and don't know that we ever will, but I like the extra storage under the seats, and we eat at the table and play cards there when the weather is bad. A different style table would make a huge difference.
If someone comes up with a good alternative to the "spring loaded table", please inform Keystone. The free-standing, folding table is a good example of poor planning, on their part. I, too, liked the idea of the U-shaped dinette with under-seat storage and an occasional place for the grandkids to sleep but not at the expense of an uncomfortable place to eat. When trying out different floor plans, we found it difficult to get in and out of the dinette. We are average sized adults, but my husband is 6'3 and his long legs didn't "play well" with the table legs and bracing. I can't imagine 4 adults trying to get in and out of the benches and two sitting on the seat under the window would be crowded. We opted for the table and chairs configuration and are glad we did. Now that we are settled in, I find plenty of room for storage. Besides, if you have more compartments, you will just pack in more cargo and you can only handle so much payload
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS

Old 07-30-2013, 11:57 AM   #12
Charlotte

The table in our tt is on the slide out and that causes a slight tilt toward the inside of the table. The table has a bit of a wobble from the two posts as well.

The dealer said it is the way the table are and there was nothing to do about it.

I am going to show my husband the info on putting screws in the posts but I think the idea of removing the table completely and using a small folding table or TV trays sounds ideal. It is just us and I never see making it into a bed.

Our first travel trailer
Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:36 PM   #13
whitescrew77

On another camping site, someone had a very similar problem and they just took the table out and replaced it with a new, sturdy card table. Maybe that is an option for you, maybe not. Just an idea.
whitescrew77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 03:03 PM   #14
desertjack

thanks all

Appreciate everyone's suggestions and thoughts.
We're about 2/3 through a 4 month "vacation". At this time we've kind of gotten used to our unstable table. Its not a good design to say the least....had to wrap the portion of the legs that manage the fold down feature in a towel and duct tape to keep from bashing knees...ouch !! Maybe the best idea is to take it out and just use TV trays and or card table as suggested as I don't foresee needing the dinette as a sleep area.
Thanks again all.......
desertjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:06 PM   #15
Murphsmom

A new table

We have decided to remove the part of the U that is under the window and make the dinette into bench seating. We found a shop in Pendleton where they make aftermarket furniture (along with being an authorized repair shop) for RVs. They were able to go to the Keystone plant in Pendleton and get the laminate for the tabletop. We will now have a table that is almost double the size of the stock one and the mechanism will be in the center instead of sticking out at the edges.
Murphsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:15 PM   #16
Waldo_2001

I have the same table in my 2011 Hornet and I just had to adjust the levelers on the bottom and it is pretty solid. With a five year old and a 20 month old all over it I don't see any issues. I do agree that something with 4 legs would be more solid but I like being able to fold the table easily when getting ready to travel. My 2 cents

James

2012 Springdale 303 BHS Current
2011 Hornet 27BHS Sold
2005 Fleetwood Newport sold
2009 Jayco SLX 184 sold
1995 Starcraft 1021 sold
Waldo_2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:07 PM   #17
Marlinmike

Wobbly Table

I don't have my TT here, otherwise I'd look at it, but does anyone know what type of material the table top made of?

I found a pedestal style table base at Ikea that would bolt to the bottom of the table top if it is a drillable material and would hold a stud. I was thinking of epoxying some studs into the bottom of the table and holt the base on with some plastic knurled knobs for quick dis-assembly should the dinette be needed for a bed. However, I'm still not sure if the strength of the table top is enough to span from dinette seat to seat without any support under the middle of it (assuming the black table support folded up to be a bed support also).

This base would be a lot sturdier than the contraption of black steel we always are hitting our shins and knees on. And I can't bolt the base to the floor because it's the floor of the slide - not much material there.

Your input please.
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:58 PM   #18
suza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinmike View Post
I don't have my TT here, otherwise I'd look at it, but does anyone know what type of material the table top made of?

I found a pedestal style table base at Ikea that would bolt to the bottom of the table top if it is a drillable material and would hold a stud. I was thinking of epoxying some studs into the bottom of the table and holt the base on with some plastic knurled knobs for quick dis-assembly should the dinette be needed for a bed. However, I'm still not sure if the strength of the table top is enough to span from dinette seat to seat without any support under the middle of it (assuming the black table support folded up to be a bed support also).

This base would be a lot sturdier than the contraption of black steel we always are hitting our shins and knees on. And I can't bolt the base to the floor because it's the floor of the slide - not much material there.

Your input please.
Our 5th wheel came with a pedestal base, free standing table and chairs; the table is screwed to the slide floor. You're right, though - there isn't much there to hold it. We had to have the dealer secure it better because it "wobbled" when brand new.

Here's what I am considering, if the table becomes wobbly again: We have a small, drop leaf table with 4 legs. It would be easy to just turn it on its top when towing and secure the chairs to the table legs with the strap that came with the RV.

I'm so glad we didn't get the folding table/dinette. I had the same opinion of the table legs.
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS

Old 10-08-2013, 09:09 PM   #19
golfpro

the posts that they use are crimped on both ends and so they do have a lot of wobble in them. only thing I can tell you to do is drill a hole in the top and the bottom braces and put a screw or bolt through to tighten up the travel of the poles in the base.
golfpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:30 AM   #20
swan2125

Our Laredo TT (291TG) had the same problem, we are a family of 5 and we like the idea that we could all sit around the table and have a meal together. Didn't notice it until we got out on our first trip this summer.

Solution was to take the extra carpet the dealer left in the TT at the door and a piece of wood one inch wood from Lowes to make a platform to place under the leg that extends out from the slide. I can now sit my entire family around the table with no issues.

2015 Avalanche 361TG
2014 Ram 3500, Longhorn, SRW, 4x4, CC, 6.7 CTD, 68RFE, 3.42 with 5th Wheel Prep (Cherry Red)

Previous:

2014 Laredo 291TG (Traded for above)
2013 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab (SOLD)
(5.7L Hemi 4x4 w/ Towing Pkg, factory brake controller and 3.92 Rear Axle)
swan2125 is offline   Reply With Quote