Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2013, 11:56 AM   #1
bmach

Adding Shelves in pantry

We just bought a 2014 2510rb and we want to add shelves in the left hand pa try. Has anyone done this? If you did, did you buy them from a Keystone dealer or make you're own?

Thanks
Brian
bmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 12:00 PM   #2
sjturbo

I have added shelves to all of our trailers and 5ers. It is very easy if you have the correct tools. If not find a friend that does and barter or pay. Generally you will need to diy or find someone that does woodwork. Watch the fingers though, saws are unforgiving!
sjturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:07 PM   #3
LM3929

DIY shelving

I just picked up some 1 x 1, 1 1/2 and 1 xx 2 Stiles (as Keystone calls them) to match the colour of our Cougar 1/2 ton to make a set of shelves, their not that bad to make.

Lorne M
LM3929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:24 PM   #4
Justvisiting2day

Shelves in pantry

You might try to go to one of the hardware stores after measuring your area of need. We picked up at Wallys' a set of plastic shelves that fit right in the area, 12" wx 16" deep and 36 h with 4 slider drawers.

Oh and if you do something like that you may want to re-enforce the floor of the pantry, it is only 1/8" thick and won't hold much Now fixed.

Ours is a Passport, the land of many make overs. (due to factory neglect)
If you wish pics let me know..
Justvisiting2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:40 PM   #5
theeyres

Like others are saying, it is really a DIY project. Some 1"x1" styles, some 1/4" plywood for shelves and you are good to go.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:33 AM   #6
Bob Landry

I don't think I would care for the look of raw, unfinished plywood in a new trailer. My preference would be to use cabinet grade plywood stained to match with edge tape to cover the cut edges, but I have the time and the tools to do it.
The other option, and what I used on my previous trailer, is the wire shelving from Home Depot or Lowe's. I bought a pair of 1/4" bolt cutters from Harbor Freight($8) to cut it and covered the cut ends with the little rubber caps they also sell. It looked really nice and was functional. If you don't take your time and do it right, you are going to hear about it every time DW opens that pantry.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:13 AM   #7
ktmracer

I added shelves in our angled pantry. I used baltic birch plywood for the shelf base and found stain that is basically a perfect match in color to the existing trim. Baltic birch plywood is a high ply count void free plywood with an "A" grade face on both sides.

I had also bought several 8' lengths of 1x2 from Keystone with to match some other trim work I was doing. So I used the 1x2 as the face for a perfect match on the front. Looks like it was factory done.

In the regular pantry rather than shelves, I found we were always hunting to find stuff so I built pull out drawers with baltic birch plywood on full extension slides. much more useable.

2004 Silverado CC/SB/ 4x4 Duramax
Pace 14' bike hauler with full living quarters
ktmracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:48 AM   #8
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmracer View Post
I added shelves in our angled pantry. I used baltic birch plywood for the shelf base and found stain that is basically a perfect match in color to the existing trim. Baltic birch plywood is a high ply count void free plywood with an "A" grade face on both sides.

I had also bought several 8' lengths of 1x2 from Keystone with to match some other trim work I was doing. So I used the 1x2 as the face for a perfect match on the front. Looks like it was factory done.

In the regular pantry rather than shelves, I found we were always hunting to find stuff so I built pull out drawers with baltic birch plywood on full extension slides. much more useable.
Was the stuff you purchased from Keystone, real solid wood that they finished? I've noticed in mine, that all of the cabinet fronts that look very much like real wood is light pine with some kind of a vinyl covering on it. It looks very realistic and was probably done with some kind of vacuum/heat process. It must be a pretty sophisticated material and process to get it to cut clean without tearing or melting as the saw blade goes through it. The only thing that appears to be solid wood of the specified type are the cabinet doors.
That must be a common cost cutting measure, even in the high end trailers. We looked at a few of what I would call "Premium" trailers at a show the other day, and even found the same vinyl covering on pressed-board material.

The other thing that amazes me is how well the wood work holds together(some may argue this) considering the entire trailer is built using staples. There is no limit that the trailer manufacturers won't stoop to to save a nickel.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:30 AM   #9
ktmracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
Was the stuff you purchased from Keystone, real solid wood that they finished? I've noticed in mine, that all of the cabinet fronts that look very much like real wood is light pine with some kind of a vinyl covering on it. It looks very realistic and was probably done with some kind of vacuum/heat process. It must be a pretty sophisticated material and process to get it to cut clean without tearing or melting as the saw blade goes through it. The only thing that appears to be solid wood of the specified type are the cabinet doors.
That must be a common cost cutting measure, even in the high end trailers. We looked at a few of what I would call "Premium" trailers at a show the other day, and even found the same vinyl covering on pressed-board material.

The other thing that amazes me is how well the wood work holds together(some may argue this) considering the entire trailer is built using staples. There is no limit that the trailer manufacturers won't stoop to to save a nickel.
the wood is the std stuff from keystone. yup, vinyl clad hemlock or similar.

On ours the cabinet doors are also the vinyl overlay. The stain I use for shelves is virtually an exact match for the "cherry" woodwork, but you can tell it's not from keystone since the grain pattern is different.

It cuts nicely with a high tooth count carbide blade, no tearout or damage to the overlay.

However, it is vinyl overlay on solid wood or plywood, not over MDF or similar.

And in our outback, the cabinet frames are all screwed together using the Kreg jig system or similar. The luan sheet stuff is stapled to the framework.

2004 Silverado CC/SB/ 4x4 Duramax
Pace 14' bike hauler with full living quarters
ktmracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:16 AM   #10
Murphsmom

My comment on this (as the one who is most likely to be using the pantry in our trailer) is that you need to be sure that those shelves have enough space between them so she can easily reach to the back of the shelf. I don't think that ours, as deep as they are, would work just adding a shelf in between the existing ones. I would love to have an extra shelf in there, but what really needs to be done is to remove the two existing shelves and replace them with three.

I use plastic shoebox size boxes on the shelves. That way I can stack them and make the best use of the space.

________
2013 Cougar 25RLSWE
Murphsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:55 AM   #11
jsmith948

I would recommend that you do a forum search. Several of us have modified our cabinets with additional wooden, wire or plastic shelves. The DW & I added shelves to our bathroom vanity, the overhead pantry in the galley and under the galley sink. We used real wood, stained and finished to closely match her cabinets. Good luck, there are numerous mods on here from which to get ideas.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:40 PM   #12
theasphaltrv'er

Our pantry had shelves in it from the factory so I added drawers on the bottom 2. I had some Oak from a commercial remodel job I did so I built a set of drawers for the 2 bottom shelves. Very simple to make & just add sliders & they look like Keystone put them in when they built the TT.
theasphaltrv'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:39 AM   #13
Justvisiting2day

Shelves in pantry

Quote:
Originally Posted by theasphaltrv'er View Post
Our pantry had shelves in it from the factory so I added drawers on the bottom 2. I had some Oak from a commercial remodel job I did so I built a set of drawers for the 2 bottom shelves. Very simple to make & just add sliders & they look like Keystone put them in when they built the TT.

Pictures??
Thanks
Chuck
Justvisiting2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:19 PM   #14
theasphaltrv'er

Drawers

Chuck here's 5 pictures ....
theasphaltrv'er is offline   Reply With Quote