Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-16-2013, 04:24 PM   #12
GACamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by allmi01 View Post
One more set of thoughts on al this.

I used to won a Sportsman 27' TT which had a GVW of 8000 lbs. I towsed this with a 99 Expedition. DId it work, yes. Towed from Chicago area to Washington coast, down thorugh Oregon, up to Yellowstone and back to home. No issues.

A few months later, both behicles were totaled in an accident when the truck and trailer rolled over. Too much weight to handle when you are not fully awake / alert. I had my family on board (wife and 5 kids). We all walked away mostly un-hurt (a few scratches). I thank God daily for his mercy on that one.

Since then, I tow with TV's which can handle the weight and length of TT's much better than the Expedition did. I love my Excursion (214000 miles and going strong) but, if the F3500 were running, I'd tow with that over the Excursion. Simply put, more stale and tail doesn;t try to wag to dog.

Short wheel base behicles and long TT's make a real dangerous combination.

JMHO.

Mike

Mike,

Glad your family is OK! Thank God for comprehensive insurance, right? lol. Something like this scares the crap out of me. I'd never be able to live knowing I did something that hurt one of my kids or my wife. SOOO I'll be upgrading my TV. I've found some very attractive '05, 6-L diesel Excursion 4x4's that I may be looking into trading my Sequoia for - depending on if it'll be "enough" to handle the larger TT's or not.

-Doug
GACamper is offline   Reply With Quote