Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2021, 07:33 AM   #1
turbojimmy

X-type wheel chocks for Bullet?

Is there an X-type wheel chock that will work with the bigger distance between the wheels on the Bullet? I googled it and found the BAL X-tended chock but it's unavailable everywhere. Is there an alternative?

I have a steep driveway and want to make sure the trailer is locked down really well.
Old 07-14-2021, 07:54 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojimmy View Post
Is there an X-type wheel chock that will work with the bigger distance between the wheels on the Bullet? I googled it and found the BAL X-tended chock but it's unavailable everywhere. Is there an alternative?

I have a steep driveway and want to make sure the trailer is locked down really well.
There is a CAUTION that comes with every set of BAL X-chocks. It reads, in part, "DO NOT USE THIS DEVICE AS A SUBSTITUTE FOR WHEEL CHOCKS".

That caution is not found "in the advertising" but is on a small slip of paper in every box. Sort of "buy these, and we'll fill our legal obligations by telling you they "aren't intended for what you want them for" only after you buy them.....

I've seen an overwhelming number of X-chocks that were used to stabilize trailers during setup at the campground become loose and sometimes even fall out of the wheelwell once the tires cool down and "shrink to normal size"...

If you park your trailer in a driveway that's sloped, DO NOT RELY ON X-CHOCKS TO PREVENT YOUR TRAILER FROM ROLLING DOWNHILL......

Use chocks under all 4 wheels... I'd go even further and put a chain or a heavy duty cable lock through the spokes on the wheels, so the trailer can not roll further than the cable allows. That way, even if someone might get the chocks out from under the wheels, it's not going anywhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	X Chock Warning.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	34689  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 08:11 AM   #3
turbojimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
There is a CAUTION that comes with every set of BAL X-chocks. It reads, in part, "DO NOT USE THIS DEVICE AS A SUBSTITUTE FOR WHEEL CHOCKS".

That caution is not found "in the advertising" but is on a small slip of paper in every box. Sort of "buy these, and we'll fill our legal obligations by telling you they "aren't intended for what you want them for" only after you buy them.....

I've seen an overwhelming number of X-chocks that were used to stabilize trailers during setup at the campground become loose and sometimes even fall out of the wheelwell once the tires cool down and "shrink to normal size"...

If you park your trailer in a driveway that's sloped, DO NOT RELY ON X-CHOCKS TO PREVENT YOUR TRAILER FROM ROLLING DOWNHILL......

Use chocks under all 4 wheels... I'd go even further and put a chain or a heavy duty cable lock through the spokes on the wheels, so the trailer can not roll further than the cable allows. That way, even if someone might get the chocks out from under the wheels, it's not going anywhere.

Oh I definitely wasn't planning on relying on them exclusively. I'll have all 4 wheels chocked (the trailer is currently at my dad's house until I deliver my motorhome to the new buyer). A chain through the spokes is also a great idea.

My concern is that the parking area is at the top of my 500-foot driveway. It's steep (uphill) right up to the leveled parking area. If it were to roll a few feet forward it's gone. I'd have to retrieve it from my neighbor's backyard. I'm also wondering if I can rig up something with the breakaway switch (maybe now I'm just being too paranoid).
Old 07-14-2021, 11:01 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

That little insert must be newer, I have a set of X chocks and never got any warning. I did buy them back in ‘08 or earlier.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 05:06 PM   #5
NH_Bulldog

We have a set of the BAL extended X-Chocks. We bought them before we figured out the solution to the camper movement issue. Now we don’t even use them anymore and will probably be listing them on Ebay. If you REALLY want a set, send me a private message and we can work out a deal. I paid $65 ea.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 05:20 PM   #6
turbojimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
We have a set of the BAL extended X-Chocks. We bought them before we figured out the solution to the camper movement issue. Now we don’t even use them anymore and will probably be listing them on Ebay. If you REALLY want a set, send me a private message and we can work out a deal. I paid $65 ea.

Okay I'll bite. What's the solution to the camper movement issue?
Old 07-14-2021, 05:36 PM   #7
NH_Bulldog

Just to be clear, the movement I was referring to was the movement/rocking experienced when parked and stabilized and people moving around inside.

We bought the X-chocks hoping it would stop the movement. I helped a bit, but was still noticeable. Then we bought JT Strong Arms which helped more, but still had noticeable movement. This year, we replaced the original 2500 lb. rated scissor stabilizer jacks with Eaz Lift 7500 lb. rated jacks and that combined with the JT Strong Arms makes the camper solid. It has worked so well, the DW didn’t notice I wasn’t even using the X-chocks until this week while we are on our yearly 3 week trip around the Great Lakes (modified since we can’t go through Canada).
Old 07-14-2021, 06:00 PM   #8
turbojimmy

Quote:
Just to be clear, the movement I was referring to was the movement/rocking experienced when parked and stabilized and people moving around inside.

Ah okay. I just want to keep mine from rolling down my driveway.

We're moving from a 31-foot motorhome to this trailer. I never used any sort of stabilizers with the motorhome. The suspension seemed firm enough to prevent any sort of movement that would bother us. I've only had the trailer for a couple of days but have noticed that there's a lot more movement. Too much? I don't know yet. The previous owner had installed beefier stabilizer jacks that seem to work okay.
Old 07-15-2021, 06:04 AM   #9
NH_Bulldog

If you are on an incline, you have several factors to consider. First and foremost is securely blocking the wheels. Wedge shaped chocks or blocks are the best idea, but beware of your driveway surface since plastic chocks can slip on asphalt or concrete and may not be secure enough for your application. The second consideration is how high you are lifting the front of the camper. The higher the tongue jack is extended, the less stable it gets.

I would plan on cutting wedges as bases for each of the stabilizers and the tongue to match the slope of your driveway. Use those as a solid base to block up each point so that no stabilizer is extended more than 8” to 12”, same with the tongue.

For the wheels, I would use large wooden wedges with a large ground surface area to prevent slipping. Tap them into place with a mallet, then before you disconnect, let the trailer “relax” against the chocks.

As a disclaimer, these are general ideas. I have no idea of the degree of slope of your driveway or any other site conditions. Proceed at your discretion.
Old 07-15-2021, 07:12 AM   #10
turbojimmy

Quote:
If you are on an incline, you have several factors to consider. First and foremost is securely blocking the wheels. Wedge shaped chocks or blocks are the best idea, but beware of your driveway surface since plastic chocks can slip on asphalt or concrete and may not be secure enough for your application. The second consideration is how high you are lifting the front of the camper. The higher the tongue jack is extended, the less stable it gets.

I would plan on cutting wedges as bases for each of the stabilizers and the tongue to match the slope of your driveway. Use those as a solid base to block up each point so that no stabilizer is extended more than 8” to 12”, same with the tongue.

For the wheels, I would use large wooden wedges with a large ground surface area to prevent slipping. Tap them into place with a mallet, then before you disconnect, let the trailer “relax” against the chocks.

As a disclaimer, these are general ideas. I have no idea of the degree of slope of your driveway or any other site conditions. Proceed at your discretion.

All great advice thank you. I attempted to attach a pic. It's tough to tell that slope, but it drops off pretty quick after about 25 feet. I have enough room to put the trailer on the level-ish spot (once I maneuver it in there). I plan to put it where the Charger is. I could put it where the motorhome is, but that has its own complexities. There would be no way to level it side-to-side because of the slope. The motorhome is close to level but the air suspension helps make that happen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	driveway 71521.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	681.4 KB
ID:	34697  
Old 07-24-2021, 07:02 AM   #11
turbojimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Use chocks under all 4 wheels...

Okay I made a rookie mistake and did not heed this advice.

I brought the trailer home today and parked it where I used to keep the motor home. It's asphalt millings (gravel-like) and the trailer was perpendicular to the grade. I chocked 2 of the 4 wheels. As soon as I unhooked it the tongue started sliding down the grade. Thankfully it stopped after a couple of feet and I held it back. I used my free hand to text my sons to come back out and help me hook the truck back up.

I decided I couldn't park it there so I swung it around and put it on the paved part of the driveway where it's fairly level. I chocked ALL FOUR wheels and put a chain through the slots in the rims.

It was my first time towing anything other than a U-Haul car trailer. I'll get better with practice but I will NOT be making that mistake again.

https://video.nest.com/clip/041c5cee...0cf884915e.mp4
Old 07-24-2021, 10:42 AM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

I've done that and it's not a good feeling. Like you mine stopped in a couple of feet. Unfortunately I wasn't new, just lazy and in a hurry. Chocked each side, one on opposite ends of the tires. Looking at the grade figured it would be fine; well, in the hills, on the side of one with a tree line I misjudged the grade and i was opposite what I chocked and the trailer just started making a lazy turn toward the unchocked wheels similar to yours. First order of business without fail; chock all 4 tires. Figure my quad focals must lie to me..
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 12:27 PM   #13
turbojimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I've done that and it's not a good feeling. Like you mine stopped in a couple of feet. Unfortunately I wasn't new, just lazy and in a hurry. Chocked each side, one on opposite ends of the tires. Looking at the grade figured it would be fine; well, in the hills, on the side of one with a tree line I misjudged the grade and i was opposite what I chocked and the trailer just started making a lazy turn toward the unchocked wheels similar to yours. First order of business without fail; chock all 4 tires. Figure my quad focals must lie to me..

Yeah that's exactly what happened. It was trying to pivot around the un-chocked wheels. My situation is a little extreme, but what do you do when you have to use ramps on one side and can't chock the wheels? Or do you just not do that?
Old 07-24-2021, 12:57 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Yeah that's exactly what happened. It was trying to pivot around the un-chocked wheels. My situation is a little extreme, but what do you do when you have to use ramps on one side and can't chock the wheels? Or do you just not do that?
Without knowing your "exact parking situation" here's what I'd consider:

Build ramps (or use plastic blocks) to level the trailer side to side. Then lay extra wood (or plastic blocks) in front of and behind the tires and use that extra length to support the chocks...

As an example, I can park my trailer on 4 "orange blocks", but there's a 1" dropoff at both ends of all 4 tires. I put two additional "orange blocks" between the tires and one in front of the lead tire and behind the lag tire. That way I've got a "level space on which to place the chocks".

You can "do that while hitched to the truck" and after placing the "low side chocks, pull forward slightly to put weight on the chocks. That will hold the "orange block and the chock" in place. Then just put the rear chocks securely in place. When you unhitch, the trailer will roll back slightly which will also put pressure on the rear chocks, effectively locking all 8 chocks in place on a level surface (level relative to the bottom of the tires, not the slope of the surrounding terrain).....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 01:31 PM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

I used wood blocks then plastic lego blocks for years and just built them up. Sometimes I carried some short pieces of 4x4. In the end I ended up using Andersen Levelers, SO much easier and quicker to level then you just chock the leveler. Combined them with a LevelMate Pro and my setup/leveling issues were reduced to next to nothing.

https://tweetys.com/camper-leveler.a...SABEgL9NPD_BwE

https://logicbluetech.com/
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 10:29 AM   #16
turbojimmy

Thanks for the replies.

It seems there are a LOT of cool options I need to explore for leveling.

My old motorhome had an airbag suspension and I could level it pretty easily except in pretty extreme conditions (like my driveway). To get it level at home I'd put the left side up on ramps and dump all the air out of the right side bags. Can't do that with the trailer so I'll have to get creative (and safe).
Old 07-29-2021, 08:35 AM   #17
dalamarjj78

Quote:

We couldn't find any of the BAL either so we purchased two of these instead:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018AIGE1W...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We purchased two "1 packs" since it was cheaper than buying a 2 pack.

We've been happy with them. They did come with a cheap pad-lock to keep it from being stolen but you'd want to upgrade to something better.

2022 F350 XLT CCSB SRW 7.3L 4.30 Gears
2021 Keystone Bullet Ultra Lite 273BHS

dalamarjj78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 08:43 AM   #18
turbojimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalamarjj78 View Post
We couldn't find any of the BAL either so we purchased two of these instead:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018AIGE1W...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We purchased two "1 packs" since it was cheaper than buying a 2 pack.

We've been happy with them. They did come with a cheap pad-lock to keep it from being stolen but you'd want to upgrade to something better.

Thanks! I don't know how I missed that. The first pic in the reviews is of my exact 2015 Bullet. I'll definitely grab a pair (2 one-packs).

Now that I'm over the trauma of the first time trying to park it, and almost losing it down my driveway, I'm going to try to tuck it back up on the hill (with traditional chocks, chain and these x-type chocks). It's not ideal having it in the driveway for a variety of reasons.
Old 07-29-2021, 08:57 AM   #19
dalamarjj78

Quote:
Thanks! I don't know how I missed that. The first pic in the reviews is of my exact 2015 Bullet. I'll definitely grab a pair (2 one-packs).
I actually had to go into my purchase history to find the link. When I tried searching on Amazon it returned a bunch of other unrelated stuff. The 2-pack eventually displayed on page 2 or 3 of the search results but didn't show a price or anything, indicating it was out of stock (or only available via 3rd party sellers at a crazy high price).

2022 F350 XLT CCSB SRW 7.3L 4.30 Gears
2021 Keystone Bullet Ultra Lite 273BHS

dalamarjj78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bullet