Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2021, 05:56 AM   #21
notanlines

We gross 20k and still have more than half the pad.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 05:01 AM   #22
gearhead

^ sounds good.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 09:33 AM   #23
MattE303

I have an appt next week to bring my trailer up to them for the disk brake install, so it's reassuring to read the glowing reviews from you guys. The stock drum brakes on mine are SO bad I was sure there had to be something wrong with either the trailer, truck, brake controller or something. I took it back to the dealer shortly after purchase and had them check it out. "Nope, all working fine" they told me. �� Looking forward to driving with a stupid grin on my face too! ��

2002 Ford F350 7.3 Super Duty XLT 4x4 CC LB SRW -- Pullrite Super 5th 16K
2017 Keystone Carbon 337
2022 Honda CRF-450R
MattE303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 09:20 AM   #24
Northern Lights

Had cataract surgery on both eyes. Got the Medicare basic lenses. The Dr. said that astigmatism lenses are $2,000 each. I decided to stick with no line trifocal transition glasses instead. I could buy lots of good glasses over the years for that $4,000. Using lots of non preservative eye drops for dry eyes that the Dr.said could continue for a while. Amazing how clear things are now.

"First eye was just cataract and the antibiotic (ciprofloxacin) and the steroid (prednisolone) burned for several days but not too bad. The 2nd eye had a lot more stuff done to it for cataracts and astigmatism. It burns (5th day) considerably more than the 1st one and looks like I have some "blood trauma" in the eye due to the extra surgery."
Northern Lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 03:12 PM   #25
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattE303 View Post
I have an appt next week to bring my trailer up to them for the disk brake install, so it's reassuring to read the glowing reviews from you guys. The stock drum brakes on mine are SO bad I was sure there had to be something wrong with either the trailer, truck, brake controller or something. I took it back to the dealer shortly after purchase and had them check it out. "Nope, all working fine" they told me. �� Looking forward to driving with a stupid grin on my face too! ��
You staying at the Fairgrounds?
Old 07-23-2021, 03:37 PM   #26
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattE303 View Post

Once you get the controller set and hit the brakes your face will automatically break into an ear to ear grin if like me. I told DW I just want to take it out of storage every couple of days just so I can go driving and use the brakes! She said no, she was afraid the lines from my weird grin would become etched on my face......
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 03:47 PM   #27
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Lights View Post
Had cataract surgery on both eyes. Got the Medicare basic lenses. The Dr. said that astigmatism lenses are $2,000 each. I decided to stick with no line trifocal transition glasses instead. I could buy lots of good glasses over the years for that $4,000. Using lots of non preservative eye drops for dry eyes that the Dr.said could continue for a while. Amazing how clear things are now.

"First eye was just cataract and the antibiotic (ciprofloxacin) and the steroid (prednisolone) burned for several days but not too bad. The 2nd eye had a lot more stuff done to it for cataracts and astigmatism. It burns (5th day) considerably more than the 1st one and looks like I have some "blood trauma" in the eye due to the extra surgery."
It's been a month since my surgery. Finished the drops yesterday. One of them burned every time. My vision insurance , VSP, pays for glasses pretty good, not 100%, but pretty good. This time I picked the glasses I wanted. Betty says those don't go too good with your white hair, but I put my foot down and said by God this time I'm getting the ones I want. So if I ever run into y'all be sure to tell me so Betty hears that I sure have some good looking glasses.
I got up this morning and washed the 5th. Probably push it back behind the fence and pull the cabover out. I haven't used that thing in over a year. Need to clean it up and get ready for a "me" road trip. Knoxville (Iowa) Nationals sprint car races August 11-14, and USAC Silver Crown races the next weekend in Springfield Illinois. Both historic old fairgrounds tracks. Both started as horse, or harness tracks. Springfield is one of the few 1 mile dirt tracks left. Bucket list.
Go fast, turn left.
...Brent
Old 07-23-2021, 03:55 PM   #28
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Lights View Post

Mine was the same; first just cataract and 2nd (on 10th day) for cataract and astigmatism. The ciprofloxacin seemed to burn more than the prednisolone but they both did/do. Stopped the cipro after the 7th day so that wasn't an issue. In addition to those the prescribed diclofenac for 21 days. The prednisolone goes on for 8 weeks! The eye with the astigmatism took a lot more time to do and they did more "stuff". Mine too had "blood trauma" whereas the first one did not. On day 10 I only have a small red line in the bottom center of my eye (vertical). I now have 4 pairs of sunglasses and 2 pairs of readers I never had before.......and they say it's still 6 weeks before I can get examined for glasses! DW said this is God's way of forcing me to learn patience.....
Old 07-24-2021, 05:08 AM   #29
skids

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Mine was the same; first just cataract and 2nd (on 10th day) for cataract and astigmatism. The ciprofloxacin seemed to burn more than the prednisolone but they both did/do. Stopped the cipro after the 7th day so that wasn't an issue. In addition to those the prescribed diclofenac for 21 days. The prednisolone goes on for 8 weeks! The eye with the astigmatism took a lot more time to do and they did more "stuff". Mine too had "blood trauma" whereas the first one did not. On day 10 I only have a small red line in the bottom center of my eye (vertical). I now have 4 pairs of sunglasses and 2 pairs of readers I never had before.......and they say it's still 6 weeks before I can get examined for glasses! DW said this is God's way of forcing me to learn patience.....
Ciprofloxacin and Levofloxacin antibiotics can cause real issues with tendons, joints and muscles. I snapped a muscle in my calve just walking the dogs and that was 3 months after quitting cipro. Tendons around pelvis got sore as well. Be careful.
Old 07-24-2021, 12:33 PM   #30
Javi

Had a cataract done in my left eye about 10 years ago, right eye is almost ready for the procedure.. Maybe a year or two and I hope it goes as well as the first one, had it done at 7am Friday morning at 3 went back and doctor took bandage off, went back to work Monday morning.. Except for the hassle of the eye drops thingy and how much brighter stuff was it weren't a big deal.

About the disc brakes thingy....

I'm thinking I'll check with them about doing the brakes and adding shocks. My rig came with 7K axles and wet bolts
Old 07-24-2021, 01:16 PM   #31
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Had a cataract done in my left eye about 10 years ago, right eye is almost ready for the procedure.. Maybe a year or two and I hope it goes as well as the first one, had it done at 7am Friday morning at 3 went back and doctor took bandage off, went back to work Monday morning.. Except for the hassle of the eye drops thingy and how much brighter stuff was it weren't a big deal.

About the disc brakes thingy....

I'm thinking I'll check with them about doing the brakes and adding shocks. My rig came with 7K axles and wet bolts

Javi, on the eye it seems they've got that procedure down pretty good anymore. I'm sure someone has had issues after one of these surgeries but I've not talked to anyone that did. And, it's still just as quick. My doc says no heavy lifting for 21 days (over 20lbs.) and no bending but I figure all the docs have their own protocols on recovery procedures.

As far as the brakes I would encourage you to talk to them. The process is a little odd as the installers are actually contractors for Performance Trailer Braking but they are certified with Dexter and the brake manufacturers. Everything I've read, and I, have nothing but good to say about them. And the brakes....they were WELL worth it to me.
Old 07-24-2021, 01:38 PM   #32
Javi

Quote:
Javi, on the eye it seems they've got that procedure down pretty good anymore. I'm sure someone has had issues after one of these surgeries but I've not talked to anyone that did. And, it's still just as quick. My doc says no heavy lifting for 21 days (over 20lbs.) and no bending but I figure all the docs have their own protocols on recovery procedures.

As far as the brakes I would encourage you to talk to them. The process is a little odd as the installers are actually contractors for Performance Trailer Braking but they are certified with Dexter and the brake manufacturers. Everything I've read, and I, have nothing but good to say about them. And the brakes....they were WELL worth it to me.
I'm pretty sure that this will be our last trailer and I'm pretty happy with it as is except for the brakes and the ride. I think most of the ride (things bouncing around in the trailer) is the short wheelbase and all the weight in front of the axles. Not much I can do about the weight distribution except a big block of lead under the couch or fill the FW tank which does seem to help.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 01:53 PM   #33
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that this will be our last trailer and I'm pretty happy with it as is except for the brakes and the ride. I think most of the ride (things bouncing around in the trailer) is the short wheelbase and all the weight in front of the axles. Not much I can do about the weight distribution except a big block of lead under the couch or fill the FW tank which does seem to help.

Yep, after Susan and I discussed it we figure this will be our last so did the upgrade. Have you thought about that Road Armor suspension as far as ride (I think that's what's on yours)? I noticed this one had the same issue on our first travels. I watched it as we drove and could tell it was riding pretty harsh. Our last trailer had the MorRyde suspension and always just looked like it was "floating" along when it hit bumps, humps etc. I had them put the MorRyde suspension on this one for just that reason.

I have towed the trailer maybe 15 miles and I will say it appears it rides much smoother. Just exiting our property I could always watch the Road Armor jounce the trailer coming out - didn't happen with the MorRyde now that it's on. Wish I had more miles to give you a better analysis. IMO though, and everyone I've talked to, the Road Armor equipment doesn't measure up to the MorRyde. Just a thought.
Old 07-24-2021, 02:03 PM   #34
Javi

Quote:
Yep, after Susan and I discussed it we figure this will be our last so did the upgrade. Have you thought about that Road Armor suspension as far as ride (I think that's what's on yours)? I noticed this one had the same issue on our first travels. I watched it as we drove and could tell it was riding pretty harsh. Our last trailer had the MorRyde suspension and always just looked like it was "floating" along when it hit bumps, humps etc. I had them put the MorRyde suspension on this one for just that reason.

I have towed the trailer maybe 15 miles and I will say it appears it rides much smoother. Just exiting our property I could always watch the Road Armor jounce the trailer coming out - didn't happen with the MorRyde now that it's on. Wish I had more miles to give you a better analysis. IMO though, and everyone I've talked to, the Road Armor equipment doesn't measure up to the MorRyde. Just a thought.
The Cougar had a CRE3000 on it but it was also 4 foot longer so I just figured that had a lot to do with it.. I've watched several comparison videos between the CRE and RA and really couldn't see much difference between them. That's why I was thinking about the shocks.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 02:19 PM   #35
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
The Cougar had a CRE3000 on it but it was also 4 foot longer so I just figured that had a lot to do with it.. I've watched several comparison videos between the CRE and RA and really couldn't see much difference between them. That's why I was thinking about the shocks.

They put the SRE4000 on mine. Said it would handle the larger trailer better. Once I get free from all my entanglements I'll get some miles on the road and be better able to tell you what it seems like. First thing I'm gonna do is pull all the straps/braces etc. out of the doors/drawers and let 'er rip to see what it does - hopefully nothing.
Old 08-10-2021, 12:36 PM   #36
FlyingAroundRV

I'm thinking of doing this upgrade to my trailer as well.
One thing I'm unsure about though, the CRE 3000.
Looking at it, I can't figure out what the benefit of it is. It is claimed that it gives an extra 3” of suspension travel, but is that necessary or even desirable? I'm concerned that that much extra travel may bring the wheels into contact with the underside of the trailer. Also, it looks like the motion of the spring balancer changes from a rocking motion at the pivot on the mount, to a fore and aft force at the pivot point. It also adds more leverage on the mount from side to side.
I could be wrong about this, but it looks like a gimmick to me.
BTW, I have been talking with Gavin from Performance Trailer Braking in OK. He's been very helpful in sorting through our needs.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 01:07 PM   #37
sourdough
Site Team

MorRyde isn't a gimmick. They make the best suspensions out there IMO from their IS to their 3000/4000 lines. Of all the suspensions I've owned the MorRyde (had 2) is head and shoulders above any of them as far as the ride it provides for the RV - that includes the "Road Armor" Lippert copycat of the MorRyde. I don't really try to get into "analyzing" how it works under what kind of conditions, I just watch it/them. As far as the tires hitting inside the wheel wells, it's never happened to me and I've never heard of it.
Old 08-10-2021, 07:22 PM   #38
FlyingAroundRV

Danny:
When you speak of MorRyde suspension are you talking about the whole package or just the signature piece that is the rocker between the springs? Or is that signature piece the “system” in total?

We will definitely be going for wet bolts and (I'm thinking upgraded shackles) and disc brakes.
When you say that the ride is better with the MorRyde suspension, how did you gauge that. Did you do some quantitative or qualitative measurement? Did you have someone ride in the trailer for a before and after comparison? Did you maybe put a GoPro in the trailer before and after?
Sorryif I'm being picky here, but there are a lot of useless gimmicks in the world, designed for nothing more than to net $$$ for the manufacturers and installers. I've bought my share of them and now I'm a “Show me” guy. And no, I ain't gonna buy any “studies” done by the manufacturer / distributors.
I believe you when you say the ride is better, but still want to know how you judge that.
Remember what Ronnie said “Trust but verify…”
2018 Outback 272UFL

Old 08-10-2021, 07:53 PM   #39
sourdough
Site Team

In some things I dig into the minutia; sometimes I come up with "something", sometimes I find I spend lots of time wasting my time.

The suspension is like I stated; much better. How do I quantify that? I pull a trailer thousands of miles and I watch it ALL the time over bumps, humps, holes etc. I KNOW what my trailer does and I know when it hits a hole/bump if it actually jumps in the air or just "floats". With the MorRyde it floats, the others, no it doesn't. The inside piece parts don't come apart. That's just real life assessment. You can "squeeze the rubber" and try to "imagine" how it works, try to quantify some physics equation to it, but to me, after all these years of watching that box "hop" I know the difference between smooth or not. Now, IMO if you think it's a "gimmick" (which I think all the testimonials would disprove) or it has to be proven beyond a shadow of a doubt in some fashion you are looking for, I would forget it and just "bump along". I'll just tell you it works and if, as I suspect, you have nothing more than the EquaFlex or less, you just don't know.
Old 08-11-2021, 01:31 AM   #40
FlyingAroundRV

Quote:
In some things I dig into the minutia; sometimes I come up with "something", sometimes I find I spend lots of time wasting my time.

The suspension is like I stated; much better. How do I quantify that? I pull a trailer thousands of miles and I watch it ALL the time over bumps, humps, holes etc. I KNOW what my trailer does and I know when it hits a hole/bump if it actually jumps in the air or just "floats". With the MorRyde it floats, the others, no it doesn't. The inside piece parts don't come apart. That's just real life assessment. You can "squeeze the rubber" and try to "imagine" how it works, try to quantify some physics equation to it, but to me, after all these years of watching that box "hop" I know the difference between smooth or not. Now, IMO if you think it's a "gimmick" (which I think all the testimonials would disprove) or it has to be proven beyond a shadow of a doubt in some fashion you are looking for, I would forget it and just "bump along". I'll just tell you it works and if, as I suspect, you have nothing more than the EquaFlex or less, you just don't know.
At the moment, all we have is the stock standard suspension that Keystone put on the trailer.
Without being able to see one of these units in the flesh, It's hard for me to understand how this thing enhances the suspension at all ... however, after watching quite a few videos on this thing, I finally discovered that the bolt that is the pivot for the rocker arm, goes through a slot rather than just a hole as I first thought. Now it makes a bit more sense as the rubber pad then becomes an additional shock absorbing item. Is that correct?

I still have a question mark in my mind about the side loadings this thing will impart to the center suspension mount because of the extra leverage during tight turns in campgrounds and during side sway such as when a semi overtakes. I think my perception of this is strengthened by the dealer suggesting an additional crossbar be fitted with this.

After doing a fair bit of search (admittedly mostly You Tube) I wasn't able to find any independent reviews by people who've had this for some time. Everything I found was either from MorRyde themselves or from businesses like eTrailer who distribute it, or just plain installation videos.

I may be wrong, but I get a sense that because I've asked for objective analysis of how the ride is better, you've taken my query as a personal criticism, which was not my intent at all.
2018 Outback 272UFL