Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2021, 12:43 PM   #21
lcarver02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelff View Post
I have used a flat, adjustable bungee cord strapped across the cover horizontally and hooked firmly to the back side of my spare tire on my boat trailer. Make sure you get the proper size cover for your tire. This works great keeping my cover on the spare tire. Mind you, it was in and out of water, which has far more weight and stress on it than wind. They both wear out about the same time but keep an eye on both and replace when needed. Never lost another cover using the bungee cord. The bungee cord is flat, adjustable, and about 3/4 inch wide and seems to work better than a round one. You can get them at most any hardware store. Problem solved.
Good advice. I had my Keystone Cover stolen in Glens Ferry, WY. I bought one for $15 at State Trailer and used four Tarp Bunge clamps an two tight bungies - bought a can selection at Walmart. Has never come off, and is ugly enough that no one wants it. It is two years old and starting to come apart, time for a new one.
lcarver02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 05:57 PM   #22
jimpa

why not just remove the cover when you travel and cover when parked?
jimpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 06:20 PM   #23
LHaven

The Keystone cover with the elastic rim that came with my trailer lasted exactly one round trip Phoenix to Tampa -- then blew off somewhere on the last leg home between Tucson and Phoenix.

The cover I had on my last rig had an actual cinch cord, which is tough to find nowadays. I was impressed to read at custom-tire-covers.net:

Quote:
Spare tire covers are secured using a 90 lb rope. The rope will be cinched and tightened to obtain a secure fit.... Each cover includes a set of grommets with a heavy duty locking zip tie to help prevent theft and for extra security.
I split for custom artwork on mine, which was pricey (though not as pricey as that hardcover!)... but the cover is in its third year of our desert sun and still looks like new. I've had it on and off a number of times (I keep a TPMS dongle on the spare, and it's been problematic) so I get to appreciate how well it works and how good it still looks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6243.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	237.8 KB
ID:	34825  
Old 07-23-2021, 06:24 AM   #24
KarenK

I use a couple tarp clamps on the edge of cover and a bungie to make sure it doesn't come off. Last cover had a couple grommets in it.
Past
2006 Springdale 280 FWIKL-GL
1997 Jayco 253
KarenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 07:33 AM   #25
ADQ K9

I have the original Keystone cover for my Cougar in my shed as well as the spare tire carrier. Carry mine in the pass thru storage area.
John the link you posted for the BAL carrier came up HTTP404 for me " Not found"
I would also like to get an undermount carrier I am told by my local parts guy that BAL products are hard to get right now due to lack of production from this plandemic
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 01:15 PM   #26
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADQ K9 View Post
I have the original Keystone cover for my Cougar in my shed as well as the spare tire carrier. Carry mine in the pass thru storage area.
John the link you posted for the BAL carrier came up HTTP404 for me " Not found"
I would also like to get an undermount carrier I am told by my local parts guy that BAL products are hard to get right now due to lack of production from this plandemic
Here's the manufacturer's website link: https://balrvproducts.com/products/c...-a-spare.shtml

From there, you can do a google search with the part number you need to see who has them available.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 01:37 PM   #27
flybouy
Site Team

Before our current unit we had a 29' Forest River Surveyor. It had a plastic spare tire carrier that was held on with a plastic wing nut and washer in the center. It was super light and held up well for the 6 years we had it. Seemed like a good design to me.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover