Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2021, 06:31 PM   #1
lloyd

Hot water

If we aren’t using the hot water is it ok to turn it off and on when we need it, to save on propane
lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 06:33 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Yes you can. If your plugged into shore power you can use the electric side and only use the LP side to supplement when doing dishes or taking a shower. I turn both on when camping, and leave it that way.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 09:32 PM   #3
lloyd

Not on shore power only propane
Old 07-22-2021, 03:37 AM   #4
skids

I turn it off at night because I don't like to hear the water heater fire up all the time.
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 04:05 AM   #5
Scttw

Yes, it's perfectly fine ......
80 x 175 lot
Pics of our Setup
Scttw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 05:36 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd View Post
If we aren’t using the hot water is it ok to turn it off and on when we need it, to save on propane
There's a "fine line" in any scheme to "save on propane".

Depending on the time between hot water use cycles, it may use less propane to "keep the water hot" than to "let it cool and reheat it later"....

We have found that during the day, if we're using hot water occasionally, in the bathroom and the galley, the water heater propane burner may run for a total of 4 or 5 minutes, in cycles of 2-3 minutes each. If we turn off the propane side of the water heater, when we do turn it back on for showers in the evening, it may run for 10-15 minutes, depending on the starting temperature of the water.

So, in our "dry camping hot water cycles" if we leave it on all the time, we see the burner operate for around 10 minutes during the day and the water is "ready for showers in the evening. On the other hand, if we turn it off and use the hot water stored in the tank, then in the evening when we get ready for showers, it takes 10-15 minutes to reheat the water stored in the tank.

So, for the way we use our water heater, it uses less propane (and the burner operates fewer minutes) by leaving it on rather than turning it off and then having to "start from scratch" every evening.... YMMV

When we're connected to shore power, we always leave the electric side on unless we turn the water off (when leaving the campsite). When doing it this way, we seldom use any propane to heat water as the electric element usually can keep up with demand for hot water.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 07:36 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

^^^^The above has been our experience as well. I leave it on electric all the time as we always stay in improved campgrounds. Turn on LP for evening showers and then LP back off. Letting the tank get cold and trying to start all over every day always results in the water heater running longer in my opinion.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 08:15 AM   #8
skids

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
^^^^The above has been our experience as well. I leave it on electric all the time as we always stay in improved campgrounds. Turn on LP for evening showers and then LP back off. Letting the tank get cold and trying to start all over every day always results in the water heater running longer in my opinion.
See post #3 by LLoyd "Not on shore power only propane."
Old 07-22-2021, 08:25 AM   #9
travelin texans

We work kamped at a park with a heated pool that the owner was adamant that the propane fired pool heater be turned off every night. All of us workers tried to tell him it would use more LP to reheat the entire pool daily than to keep it running overnight while covered. He sold the park before seasons end, the new owner left the heater running 24/7 & cut the LP use by almost half.
I would think leaving the water heater running would use less LP than reheating the 6 to 12 gallons every day.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 08:48 AM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
See post #3 by LLoyd "Not on shore power only propane."

The last sentence in my post would still apply.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 04:19 PM   #11
lloyd

Thanks guys , it sounds like I will probably just turn it on in the morning and then turn it off at night before bed

Tags
water