Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-17-2021, 09:08 AM   #41
Fossey2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Washougal
Posts: 15
Yes..here are ALL the options I chose:

Configuration
* DRW
* Wheel base 176" (I believe there were other shorter options as well.)
*8 ft. box (only option)
Powertrain
*6.2L 2-valve SOHC Flex Fuel V8
*TorqShift® 10-speed Automatic Transmission
*4x4
*3.73 Limited Slip Axle Ratio (they also had 3.55 Limited/non slip Slip Axle Ratio and 4.10/4.30 Limited Slip Axle Ratio I have no idea what to choose here
Packages
*11,400 (SRW)/13,000 (DRW Only) GVWR Package
*FX4 Off-Road Package that includes:
• Hill Descent Control™
• Off-Road Specifically tuned front/rear shock absorbers
• Transfer case and fuel tank skid plates
• Unique "FX4 Off-Road" box decal
*Heavy Service Front Suspension Package that includes:
• Heavy-service front springs --1-up upgrade above the spring that has been computer-selected based on other selected options.
*Power Equipment Group which includes:
• Accessory delay and Manual-folding, manually telescoping, power glass trailer tow mirrors with heated glass, heated convex spotter mirror
• Advanced Security Pack (includes SecuriLock® Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS) and Inclination/Intrusion Sensors)
• Power locks
• Power Tailgate Lock
• Power 1st-row (front-seat) windows with one-touch up/down
• Power 2nd-row (rear-seat) windows (SuperCab and Crew Cab)
• Power-folding, PowerScope® Telescoping, Power Glass Trailer Tow Mirrors with Heat, Turn Signal, High-Intensity LED Security Approach Lamps, Utility Lighting System (LED Side-mirror Spotlights) (LARIAT only)
• Manual-folding, manually telescoping, power glass trailer tow mirrors with heated glass and heated convex spotter mirror, integrated clearance lamps/turn signals (XL & XLT)
• Remote keyless-entry
*Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera System with Pro Trailer Backup Assist™includes:
• Pro Trailer Backup Assist
• Lane Keeping Alert
• Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera System
— Rear View Camera
— 360 Degree Camera System
— Trailer Reverse Guidance
— LED Center High-Mounted Stop Lamp (CHMSL)
— Rear CHMSL Camera
Exterior
*5th-Wheel/Gooseneck Hitch Prep Package (We use an Anderson hitch on our 5er)
*Bedliner – Tough Bed® Spray-in
*BLIS® (Blind Spot Information System) with Cross-traffic Alert and Trailer Tow
*Boxlink
*Dual Battery
*LED Box Lighting
*Remote Start System with Key
*Splash Guards/Mud Flaps – Front
*Tailgate Step
*LT245/75Rx17E BSW A/T Tires included but also available is LT245/75Rx17E BSW A/S Tires not sure which is better for us
*Platform Running Boards
Interior
*Floor Covering – Color-Coordinated Full Carpet with Floor Mats
*Vinyl 6 seats

Not that we are actually purchasing this right now..but is there any options you guys are like..."you can live without this AND it will lower your total payload or You NEED to add this.

I want to max the payload as much with a Family of 6!

Appreciate your time and insights!
Fossey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 11:20 AM   #42
jfk69
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Owosso
Posts: 100
If you’re going with a gasser, get the 4.3 limited slip rear end. You will NOT be happy with the 3.73. Also, I’d go for the 7.3 gas over the 6.2. Honestly though, I’d take the diesel over either, in an F350 dually.
__________________
Joe & Mary
2015 F350 XLT CCLB SRW 6.7 PS
2018 Cougar 344MKS
jfk69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 11:58 AM   #43
rhagfo
Senior Member
 
rhagfo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,942
Well I am a bit concerned about the GVWR, seems as you selected an option to reduce the GVWR. Most DRW 350’s have a 14,000# GVWR.
__________________
Russ & Paula and Belle the Beagle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 14,000# GVWR (New TV)
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS 32’ GVWR 12,360
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 01:03 PM   #44
JRTJH
Site Team
 
JRTJH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Gaylord
Posts: 21,610
Do some "in depth research" on the • Pro Trailer Backup Assist

I've been told by a large group of owners that it works "as advertised" with a bumper hitch trailer, but "fails miserably" with a fifth wheel/gooseneck trailer.

Seems (as I understand it) that the decals are "easy for the system to follow" on a conventional trailer but that placement of the decals is "significantly more difficult to correctly apply" when placing them on a fifth wheel/gooseneck. That leads to system shutdown and inability to use the "• Pro Trailer Backup Assist" features.

If it works, great, but it's an "expensive paperweight" if you're planning to use it with a fifth wheel and the "user base says it doesn't work"....

Do your homework on that one. Nice if it works, expensive and frustrating if it's more a problem than a help.....
__________________
John



2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 01:25 PM   #45
markcee
Senior Member
 
markcee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Sun City West
Posts: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Do some "in depth research" on the • Pro Trailer Backup Assist

I've been told by a large group of owners that it works "as advertised" with a bumper hitch trailer, but "fails miserably" with a fifth wheel/gooseneck trailer.

Seems (as I understand it) that the decals are "easy for the system to follow" on a conventional trailer but that placement of the decals is "significantly more difficult to correctly apply" when placing them on a fifth wheel/gooseneck. That leads to system shutdown and inability to use the "• Pro Trailer Backup Assist" features.

If it works, great, but it's an "expensive paperweight" if you're planning to use it with a fifth wheel and the "user base says it doesn't work"....

Do your homework on that one. Nice if it works, expensive and frustrating if it's more a problem than a help.....

Having had PTBU on my F150, I can say it s also problematic with a bumper pull.

At least as far as the 2019 model year, I do not believe it was even recommended for use at all with a 5th wheel or gooseneck.

With many bumper pulls, you often must affix the target decal closer than the Ford manual suggests, as the short length of the trailer A frame and/or the location of the propane tanks, and depending on hitch, the L brackets, prevents proper placement. This slightly incorrect placement comes into play when making semi sharp turns as the camera will lose connection with the target decal. As far as I recall, it will not automatically re-acquire. You have to straighten out and start the process over.
__________________
2020 Keystone Cougar '1/2 ton' TT, 29RLKWE
2019 F150 EB, Max Tow - TRADED
2019 F350, SRW, 6.2L, 4.30 gears
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 01:56 PM   #46
jasin1
Senior Member
 
jasin1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Middle River
Posts: 2,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Well I am a bit concerned about the GVWR, seems as you selected an option to reduce the GVWR. Most DRW 350’s have a 14,000# GVWR.
I think your right. I’d stay away from that…it’s the gvw derate for registration purposes
__________________
2020 Cougar 315 RLS
2020 Ram 3500 6.7HO 4.10 Dually Aisin
jasin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 01:59 PM   #47
jasin1
Senior Member
 
jasin1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Middle River
Posts: 2,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfk69 View Post
If you’re going with a gasser, get the 4.3 limited slip rear end. You will NOT be happy with the 3.73. Also, I’d go for the 7.3 gas over the 6.2. Honestly though, I’d take the diesel over either, in an F350 dually.
I agree..I’d get the diesel first choice ..7.3 second choice

Maybe get rid of the fancy camera and trailer parking assist and put that money towards the 7.3… I don’t think most people use the trailer assist other then the novelty of it when you first get it…I have the surround cameras on my truck but find I don’t even use it other then the rear camera when backing up without trailer
__________________
2020 Cougar 315 RLS
2020 Ram 3500 6.7HO 4.10 Dually Aisin
jasin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 04:47 PM   #48
Fossey2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Washougal
Posts: 15
The only thing I worry about is going with either the 7.3 gas or diesel over the 6.2. is we take a significant hit to payload according to the brochure (I know the brochures aren't accurate so I'm assuming it could be an even bigger hit to the payload).
Fossey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 04:54 PM   #49
notanlines
Senior Member
 
notanlines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Germantown, TN
Posts: 5,147
Using the base curb weights in the chart it appears that the the 7.3l is just a tad over 100lbs. heavier than the 6.2l.
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 04:54 PM   #50
Fossey2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Washougal
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Well I am a bit concerned about the GVWR, seems as you selected an option to reduce the GVWR. Most DRW 350’s have a 14,000# GVWR.
Interesting! I assumed since it was offered it was an upgrade from the original..I cant find anywhere that states what it is BEFORE I selected this option! And removing it or adding it doesn't seem to change the price at all.
Fossey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 05:08 PM   #51
Fossey2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Washougal
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
The online build software... you get a price that must go to a local dealer to order? If they order, will that price you come up with today be valid when the truck arrives (could be some time based on the chip shortage)???
Good question! I'm not sure so when I contact the dealer and find out I can let you all know!
Fossey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 05:11 PM   #52
Fossey2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Washougal
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Using the base curb weights in the chart it appears that the the 7.3l is just a tad over 100lbs. heavier than the 6.2l.
What chart are you looking at can I ask? I can't find the curb weight listed on this one: https://www.fleet.ford.com/content/d...owingGuide.pdf
Fossey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 06:18 PM   #53
sourdough
Site Team
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: W. Texas
Posts: 12,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fossey2 View Post
Good question! I'm not sure so when I contact the dealer and find out I can let you all know!

If you are anticipating ordering a truck or particularly thinking of trading then buying.....

I thought I would buy a new truck but the only way to get one was order it. Dealership position in these crazy times; we'll have to let you know what it's worth when it gets here..... So be careful and get everything in indelible ink.
__________________
Danny & Susan wife of 53 years
2019 Ram 3500 Laramie CC SB 6.4 4x4 4.10
2020 Montana High Country 331RL
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 07:37 PM   #54
JRTJH
Site Team
 
JRTJH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Gaylord
Posts: 21,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fossey2 View Post
What chart are you looking at can I ask? I can't find the curb weight listed on this one: https://www.fleet.ford.com/content/d...owingGuide.pdf
Go to the Ford website: https://www.ford.com/trucks/super-duty/models/f350-xlt/ and scroll down to the "SPECIFICATIONS" section, then scroll down about 3 pages and you'll see a section titled "CURB WEIGHTS".

Keep in mind that these weights are for a "base model XL" with NO options....

If you look at the "base curb weight" for a F350 DRW 4x4 Crew Cab 6.2L and the weight for the same truck with a 7.3L, the 6.2 weighs 7392 and the 7.3l weighs 7388. Yes, that's 4 pounds LESS than the smaller engine. I'm not sure how Ford does that "magic", but I'd guess there's some reduction is emissions equipment, header weight, or some other parts outside the actual engine that are lighter....

Bottom line, it looks like either the 6.2 or the 7.3 are a "wash" when it comes to payload liabilities....
__________________
John



2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 01:04 PM   #55
NMRandy
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Rio Rancho
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fossey2 View Post
Can you answer a question for me? I contacted a dealer who has a F350 for sale and asked him to send me images of both stickers...but the "yellow" one looks different than mine (I think because it's a newer year) and I can't understand what the max payload is.
This is a vehicle built for the Canadian market, and not meant for the US market. Be aware the warranties are different.
NMRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 08:15 AM   #56
dalamarjj78
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Raleigh
Posts: 46
We recently ordered a 2022 F350 XLT SRW with the 7.3L engine and 4.30 rear axle. We went this route because the price of used trucks is so high right now this allowed us to get a new truck for the price of used ones. We also got to pick and choose our options so we get exactly what we want for much less than local inventory since we won't be paying for all the extra packages everyone includes that we don't want.

We signed an order sheet (and placed a refundable deposit) so we know exactly what the truck will cost once it arrives.

Be sure to talk to your dealer as you're picking options. Because of the chip shortage some of the lower trim trucks (like our XLT) aren't being scheduled until much later with certain options included (like 360 cameras, adaptive steering, etc.)
__________________
James

2021 Keystone Bullet Ultra Lite 273BHS
dalamarjj78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 12:37 PM   #57
lcarver02
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Pleasantview
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fossey2 View Post
Yes..here are ALL the options I chose:

Configuration
* DRW
* Wheel base 176" (I believe there were other shorter options as well.)
*8 ft. box (only option)
Powertrain
*6.2L 2-valve SOHC Flex Fuel V8
*TorqShift® 10-speed Automatic Transmission
*4x4
*3.73 Limited Slip Axle Ratio (they also had 3.55 Limited/non slip Slip Axle Ratio and 4.10/4.30 Limited Slip Axle Ratio I have no idea what to choose here
Packages
*11,400 (SRW)/13,000 (DRW Only) GVWR Package
*FX4 Off-Road Package that includes:
• Hill Descent Control™
• Off-Road Specifically tuned front/rear shock absorbers
• Transfer case and fuel tank skid plates
• Unique "FX4 Off-Road" box decal
*Heavy Service Front Suspension Package that includes:
• Heavy-service front springs --1-up upgrade above the spring that has been computer-selected based on other selected options.
*Power Equipment Group which includes:
• Accessory delay and Manual-folding, manually telescoping, power glass trailer tow mirrors with heated glass, heated convex spotter mirror
• Advanced Security Pack (includes SecuriLock® Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS) and Inclination/Intrusion Sensors)
• Power locks
• Power Tailgate Lock
• Power 1st-row (front-seat) windows with one-touch up/down
• Power 2nd-row (rear-seat) windows (SuperCab and Crew Cab)
• Power-folding, PowerScope® Telescoping, Power Glass Trailer Tow Mirrors with Heat, Turn Signal, High-Intensity LED Security Approach Lamps, Utility Lighting System (LED Side-mirror Spotlights) (LARIAT only)
• Manual-folding, manually telescoping, power glass trailer tow mirrors with heated glass and heated convex spotter mirror, integrated clearance lamps/turn signals (XL & XLT)
• Remote keyless-entry
*Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera System with Pro Trailer Backup Assist™includes:
• Pro Trailer Backup Assist
• Lane Keeping Alert
• Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera System
— Rear View Camera
— 360 Degree Camera System
— Trailer Reverse Guidance
— LED Center High-Mounted Stop Lamp (CHMSL)
— Rear CHMSL Camera
Exterior
*5th-Wheel/Gooseneck Hitch Prep Package (We use an Anderson hitch on our 5er)
*Bedliner – Tough Bed® Spray-in
*BLIS® (Blind Spot Information System) with Cross-traffic Alert and Trailer Tow
*Boxlink
*Dual Battery
*LED Box Lighting
*Remote Start System with Key
*Splash Guards/Mud Flaps – Front
*Tailgate Step
*LT245/75Rx17E BSW A/T Tires included but also available is LT245/75Rx17E BSW A/S Tires not sure which is better for us
*Platform Running Boards
Interior
*Floor Covering – Color-Coordinated Full Carpet with Floor Mats
*Vinyl 6 seats

Not that we are actually purchasing this right now..but is there any options you guys are like..."you can live without this AND it will lower your total payload or You NEED to add this.

I want to max the payload as much with a Family of 6!

Appreciate your time and insights!
Yes, 2021 F-350 DRW with Heavy Duty Payload and all those things listed above. You will need a pot-load of money and it will come with some very good features and rubber. Best be sure your trailer has Excellent Quality Tires, not the China bombs. This will meet your needs. May need to go to a 2WD, but I believe you will be close on Payload with 4WD.
lcarver02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tow, towing, towing capacity

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Keystone RV Company or any of its affiliates in any way. Keystone RV® is a registered trademark of the Keystone RV Company.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.