Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2021, 07:45 AM   #41
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalpa View Post
I have a one year old Keystone 27rls TT. Mine had 3 factory defects. I was surprised to learn the dealer has to request permission from Keystone to repair a defect. Two of mine should have been caught at the factory:

1 - black tank slide valve would not open and close as normal. Dealer tech muscled it open and closed - said it was fine. 5 days later the handle broke off in a cross country trip. I put the new part in myself on the road.

2 - spare tire and wheel fell off. Never torqued down properly. Keystone reimbursed me for replacement. (Also issued a 1099 to me for the payment. Guess they don't make many and accounting insisted on it.
3 - piano hinged swing out pantry door misaligned and gouged the floor badly. Factory said fix the door. No replacement floor. Dealer did it anyway.
A couple other minor fixes I did myself. Dealer was overwhelmed with work and not enough repairmen.
When you have a sticky dump valve, drill a small hole that you can get a silicon lube needle into and fill it with silicon lube. When done, put a sheet metal screw into the hole and you will be able to lube the valve going forward.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 08:03 AM   #42
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by hxckidd View Post
I am surprised more people aren't concerned with what they used as a fix. no way I would trust that strap for any amount of weight other than maybe an empty tank. This seems like a poor attempt to fix a situation with $5 in supplies.
That $5 fix is much more than was holding it in place originally!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 09:04 AM   #43
hxckidd

if that tank falls again, how long do you think that thin strap will hold the tank? There is no way that is meant to hold the weight of a full tank. Its made to hold pipe from joists... not for 240 lbs of water while on a bumpy road.
2011 F150
hxckidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 09:12 AM   #44
LegionX

I agree with the straps they added - not enough. So I'll be re-enforcing with better straps and might even travel with empty tanks as much as possible.

I was going to use ratchet straps but...lol after thinking about it that is not a good idea.

Oh and I think someone asked if they strapped the other tanks...
1. Fresh water tank already had 6-8 straps including sitting on the frame rails, so all good there
2. 2nd Grey water tank, no straps
3. Black tank, no straps (this one doesn't matter as we aren't using the tank, we have a composting toilet)

Thanks for all the feedback - interesting that more and more people are coming out about having the same/similar problem.
LegionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 09:25 AM   #45
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionX View Post
I agree with the straps they added - not enough. So I'll be re-enforcing with better straps and might even travel with empty tanks as much as possible.

I was going to use ratchet straps but...lol after thinking about it that is not a good idea.

1. Fresh water tank already had 6-8 straps including sitting on the frame rails, so all good there
3. Black tank, no straps (this one doesn't matter as we aren't using the tank, we have a composting toilet)

Thanks for all the feedback - interesting that more and more people are coming out about having the same/similar problem.
Not familiar with a composting toilet, where does the waste go after composting if not into the black tank? It doesn't just vaporize & disappear.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 09:38 AM   #46
hxckidd

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionX View Post

makes me want to pull my belly pan down to check mine. Sucks as i just had the front of it off as i was running wires for solar. Didnt think i should be checking this
2011 F150
hxckidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 09:46 AM   #47
LegionX

Search for Nature's Head Composting Toilet in Google and you'll find how it all works

We have considered combining our black tank and grey tank for double capacity....so maybe I should just re-support that tank as well...just in case.

If anything else happens (or I finish re-supporting) then I'll provide another update with pictures to this thread.

Thanks again everyone! Stay safe out there!
LegionX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank