Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2021, 05:47 AM   #1
Scttw

Question Can I hook up a CELL phone booster to the roof Antenna?

Hi Folks,

My question is in regards to the antenna on my roof, that I have not even ever needed to raise.

What is this antenna used for? tv? Ham? Regular radio?

Where is the input for the Antenna and what type of input is it?

Reason for questions >>> I have a cell phone booster (just a cheap $300 unit) and it does increase signal by about 1 or 2 bars on any phone within about 10 feet from the unit. The unit has a small 3 inch tall Antenna that I have clamped to the top of my ladder to the roof. It's a Coax line that feeds to the booster.

The cell tower signal coming out this year has really sucked ..... getting 1 or 2 bars LTE.

So I am curious if I can run the coax instead of going into the 3" antenna provided, if I can somehow get it into the roof antenna.

If so, I'll need to know where I plug that in? I have 2 Sat inputs in my water room. One goes to the BR and the other to the LR. Does the LR one piggy-back somehow into the Antenna?

These questions might sound stupid but I just have no clue at all. God forbid Keystone would supply a schematic.

Thanks in advance.
80 x 175 lot
Pics of our Setup
Scttw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 05:59 AM   #2
Hblick48

Won't work! Antennas are designed to work with specific frequencies. The crank up antenna on your roof is designed to work with broadcast frequencies. In addition, there are many different connector and wire types, each specific for what they were designed to do.

If you go to weboost.com, you can find different antennas specifically designed for cell phone boosters.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 06:03 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

If you have a crank up antenna (not KeyTV) then the television antenna is just that, a tv antenna. It will not work for a ham radio, a cell phone booster, wifi or any other device. If you bought your booster some time ago and it's not 5G or LTE compatible then it will not be effective for that bandwidth.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 06:05 AM   #4
Scttw

You guys rock. Thank you VERY much!

Consider this topic answered by experts, and closed
80 x 175 lot
Pics of our Setup
Scttw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 07:05 AM   #5
GHen

FYI, I get my best cell phone reception through the booster when I’m 15-20 feet from the inside antenna.

This weekend we were way up in the mountains and there was zero reception through the phones. 10’ gave us texts but that was it, 12’ gave us phone but we keep losing the connection, at about 15’ we got a solid phone connection and some data.

I had to get it right, we had an uncle pass away and the family needed to talk….
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, roof